Elsewhere – Iowa State U. offers video game design course

(U-WIRE) AMES, Iowa-Video game lovers are doing more with their hobby, thanks to a design class offered to all majors at Iowa State University.

The computer and video game design and development, Integrated Studio Arts 409X, is in its fourth semester and has evolved from an independent study into a studio class with nearly 30 students from various majors, classifications and experience levels.

“I wanted to teach the class for seven or eight years and finally decided to just do it,” said Steven Herrnstadt, professor of art and design.

Students continually polish their games, which have caused many to return to the class for several semesters. Some students have taken the class all four semesters that it has been offered.

Last spring, a team of 12 students from the class developed the game “Treefort Wars” in only 12 weeks and submitted the prototype to the Independent Games Festival in San Jose, Calif.

The game, which involves a water fight between neighborhood kids who build and defend tree forts, was chosen for the festival.

Herrnstadt designed the class to be for more than just designing a video game.

“It’s mostly a class about how to play nice together because all the majors are working together. It is a difficult class to teach because of the eclecticness of it,” he said. “It is organized chaos; well, not even, it’s thinly veiled chaos.”

Navaughn Donaldson knew one thing mattered above all when he was forced to start playing center ahea ...

This spring hasn’t been easy for Miami redshirt sophomore Tate Martell, the former Ohio State quarte ...

The 2019-20 college basketball season is more than six months away, but the University of Miami Hurr ...

The University of Miami spring game Saturday will be here before you know it, and right about now, c ...

With about a third of the regular season left, the Miami Hurricanes baseball team is on the rise and ...

The Division of Student Affairs hosted a reception to present campus-wide awards and scholarships to ...

The University of Miami celebrates Earth Day with a host of activities at or near the Lakeside Patio ...

The nation’s oldest and most-widely known academic honor society inducted 45 students from the Colle ...

For the second installment of its “What Matters to U” lecture series, Student Government invited act ...

There is at least one member of House Hurricane in the Seven Kingdoms: alumnus David Nutter, who sha ...

Because of expected inclement weather, Thursday's game time has been moved up one hour to 5 p.m ...

Michelle Atherley earned the University of Miami track and field program's fourth ACC outdoor h ...

Canes' recruiting class now stands 25th in 247Sports Composite Ranking. ...

Miami head women's basketball coach Katie Meier announced Wednesday the signing of Moulayna Joh ...

The fifth-seeded and No. 21-ranked Miami women's tennis team begins ACC Championship action Thu ...