Anthony B fills the Marlin with rhythm

Just one step into the Marlin Hotel last week created an atmosphere of a reggae concert in Jamaica. One look into the crowd and a sea of reds, yellows and greens could faintly be seen through the thick smoke that filled the air. Men with dreads past their waist danced tribally to the reggae rhythms that blasted through the speakers. To add to the full effect, internationally known reggae artist Anthony B took the mic on a stage that looked over the audience and gave the people an impressive and intimate performance that wouldn’t be forgotten.

On a promotional tour to promote his new album, Untouchables, Anthony B’s set list composed of songs, both old and new, from his nine-year career in the business. Unsure of the song titles, I turned my focus to the lyrics and saw that simplicity was a universal method to his writing. Not cheesy, but sincere, Anthony B sung in an ode to Rastafarian love, “One day/Girl I’m gonna make you mine/One day/ As long as there’s sunshine.” Also included in his set where a host of upbeat songs that allowed for popular dance moves from Jamaica to be showcased. As he spit his lyrics with intensity and raw emotion, it was understood that nothing was being sugarcoated.

Trying to gain American visibility like his contemporaries Sean Paul and Elephant Man, Anthony B’s latest album features guest appearances from Bonecrusher, Snoop Dogg and Wyclef. While Anthony B can make music that is fitting for the club, he stills stays true to his roots. During the performance, he took a break to show respect to one of his musical influences-Bob Marley. “Bob is someone who symbolizes and represents the culture to the fullest,” he said after stating that Marley should be the national hero of Jamaica. Like Marley, Anthony B has a socially conscious message in his lyrics that holds true to the core concepts of Rastafarian beliefs, while at the same time, can capture an audience with a stage performance like no other.

Marcus Washington can be contacted at m.washington2@umiami.edu.

The season is evaporating before our eyes. And nothing made that more obvious than University of Mia ...

The Miami Hurricanes had to adjust their offense at halftime Saturday to pull out a road win against ...

Photo Gallery: UM v. Virginia Tech | Saturday, November 17, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

The Miami Hurricanes found new life Saturday — despite so much seemingly going wrong. Big plays on o ...

At least in terms of their bowl situation, the Miami Hurricanes can take a deep, collective breath. ...

Kristiana Yao, who graduated summa cum laude in May, said she was “still in shock” after finding out ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team dropped a 75-52 decision Sunday at Iowa State in the P ...

The Canes got back to their winning ways with an impressive 38-14 victory at Virginia Tech. ...

20-point performances from Chris Lykes and DJ Vasiljevic led Miami past Bethune-Cookman. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team forced No. 10 Pitt to five sets in a thrilling match on Seni ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team is headed to Iowa State for the Preseason WNIT champio ...