A tough road ahead for men’s basketball

The men’s basketball team is making a march towards the NCAA tournament for the first time since the 2001-2002 season. Yet, if the Hurricanes plan to book a ticket to March Madness, they will need to come up with some big wins in their final six games.

After one of the biggest wins of the season last Saturday against Maryland, the ‘Canes are now sitting at 14-7 and 5-5 in the ACC and are currently tied for fourth place in the conference with three other teams.

With an RPI in the mid-50s, the Hurricanes are on what is known as the “bubble,” which is where teams are found that aren’t quite sure where they stand. Either way, Miami is now postseason eligible after getting its 14th win of the season, which means if its doesn’t become one of the 64 teams in the NCAA tournament, it will most likely be chosen for the NIT. This would be quite a turnaround for a team who only won 14 games a season ago.

The Hurricanes have been led by sophomore Guillermo Diaz, who’s averaged almost 23 points a game in ACC play, and Robert Hite, who has poured in 15 points a game since conference play began.

As of right now, it looks like the Hurricanes are going to need to grab three wins out of their final six games. This is no easy task, as four of them come on the road and the two home games are against No. 6 Wake Forest and Georgia Tech.

It all begins Saturday when Miami will travel to Clemson to take on the Tigers, who have been the worst team in the ACC this season with an 11-11 record, 2-8 in the conference. Miami came away with a 69-65 win Jan. 26 when the two teams met at the Convocation Center. If the ‘Canes want to keep their hopes alive of having their names called in a few weeks during the selection show, this is a game that they need to win.

Wake Forest will come to Coral Gables Tuesday night for a rematch after Miami gave the Demon Deacons a run for their money on Jan. 29 when Wake held on to win 94-82.

The road won’t get much easier for the Hurricanes after that, with trips to surprising ACC newcomer Virginia Tech and Florida State, a place where even the best teams in the league tend to fall.

The season ends with a home game against what should be a rejuvenated Georgia Tech team after getting back its best player, B.J. Elder, recently, and then a trip to always-tough Cameron Indoor Stadium and the Duke Blue Devils. The team’s first ever trip to the ACC tournament will follow, and if they can get on any sort of run and win a couple of games there, the NCAA tournament will almost be a lock.

Any combination of three wins can propel this squad into the tournament, and with this stretch of games coming up it would truly be well deserved. Either way, the Hurricanes will ride the coattails of Diaz and Hite as far as they are able to go.

Douglas C. Kroll can be contacted at d.kroll@umiami.edu.

The Miami Hurricanes found new life Saturday — despite so much seemingly going wrong. Big plays on o ...

At least in terms of their bowl situation, the Miami Hurricanes can take a deep, collective breath. ...

Thoughts, notes, reaction and postscripts after UM’s 38-14 win on Saturday at Virginia Tech, making ...

There wasn’t much energy in the Watsco Center stands on Saturday afternoon as most University of Mia ...

View photos from the Bethune-Cookman wildcats at Miami Hurricanes in a NCAA college basketball game ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

The Canes got back to their winning ways with an impressive 38-14 victory at Virginia Tech. ...

20-point performances from Chris Lykes and DJ Vasiljevic led Miami past Bethune-Cookman. ...

Seniors Kolby Bird and Haley Templeton will play in their final match at the James L. Knight Sports ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team is headed to Iowa State for the Preseason WNIT champio ...

The Canes hit the road for the final time in the 2018 regular season and it is to a familiar and hos ...