UMNEWS – Miguel Fernandez joins UM Board of Trustees

The University’s Board of Trustees announced that Miguel “Mike” Fernandez has been named as a trustee. Last fall Fernandez made a $10 million gift to the University’s School of Business Administration, one of the largest ever made to the school, which will name the new Miguel B. Fernandez Family Entrepreneurial Center.

The new building will house an entrepreneurship center, an information resource center, undergraduate placement center, academic pavilions and student residences. The building will be designed by internationally acclaimed and award-inning architect Michael Graves.

“I am delighted to team up with the University of Miami in launching this exciting new venture that focuses attention on entrepreneurship, a field that is only recently beginning to command the respect it deserves in both the business and academic community,” Fernandez said. “With five children of my own I recognize how important it is to encourage education and create an environment for students to reach their potential. My vision is for the new facilities to help UM and South Florida continue to thrive as leaders in business innovation.”

Fernandez is known throughout the South Florida community for his unique, niche-oriented healthcare businesses that share a common focus on strong customer service. A self-made entrepreneur, Fernandez is the Chairman and CEO of several rapidly growing Florida-based healthcare companies that currently serve more than 500,000 clients.

Freshman quarterback Jarren Williams, who returned to practice Wednesday after missing most of Tuesd ...

Corey Gaynor is working hard to solidify his spot as backup center to UM senior standout Tyler Gauth ...

Former University of Miami football and NFL star player Jonathan Vilma made a splash in South Florid ...

University of Miami tailback/fullback Trayone Gray, a popular fifth-year senior out of Miami Carol C ...

When Mother’s Day came around back in May, Keontra Smith knew it was time to unveil his college comm ...

Conquer common back to school challenges with an expert's guide for parents and children. ...

Unique camp supports children whose parents have cancer. ...

New study shows that discriminating against workers with tattoos puts hiring managers at a competiti ...

Bill Clinton convenes the second summit of his CGI Action Network on Post-Disaster Recovery at UM. ...

A UM researcher has determined that children exposed to traumatic events exhibit pains that if left ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews revealed Thursday the team's schedule ...

The Canes defense is full of big names like Shaq Quarterman and Jaquan Johnson, but these players ha ...

Quick Hits gives University of Miami volleyball fans an inside scoop on the latest additions to the ...

Head coach Mark Richt, all 10 assistant coaches and more than 50 players met with the media at the N ...

The Miami Hurricanes were under the lights at Hard Rock Stadium Saturday, closing out the opening we ...