The year of the rooster

Traditionally the “New Year” is celebrated on Jan. 1, but in China, the New Year isn’t until February. This year Chinese New Year is Feb. 9, the year of the rooster, and Chinese New Year is another reason to celebrate.

Historically there are three ways to name the New Year for the Chinese. The first is by animal, or a mascot. There are 12 animals in the Chinese calendar, including the rooster, the ox, the rabbit and the rat. Since every animal represents one year, the cycle is recycled after 12 years.

For the Chinese the second way to name the New Year is its former name. A complicated system, as there are 60 names in it, it too is recycled after the pattern has been used. Along with this year being the year of the rooster, its name is Yiyou.

Finally, the third way to recognize the Chinese New Year is by actual years that are kept by the Chinese calendar; this is year is 4702.

The Chinese New Year is one of the biggest holidays in the Chinese calendar and combined with a 15-day celebration, the Chinese use vivid decorations and wild events to celebrate.

In spirit, check out events around Miami that celebrate the New Year all over again-and don’t forget to wear red.

Joanna Davila can be contacted at j.davila1@umiami.edu.

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

The N’Kosi Perry era is here. Whether it’s here to stay is yet to be seen. The fans got what they wa ...

Ten takeaways from UM’s 31-17 win against FIU on Saturday at Hard Rock Stadium: ▪ Credit Mark Richt ...

As the Miami Hurricanes started their third series against the FIU Panthers on Saturday afternoon, t ...

A year after UPup’s founding father met his match, the service club is realizing its goal of becomin ...

N'Kosi Perry and a dominant Miami defense led the Hurricanes to a 31-17 victory over the Panthe ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team is headed to the championship one of th ...

The Miami women's tennis team posted a 5-2 mark in official matches on the second day of the Mi ...

Freshman Riley Howard continued her incredible start as a Canes cross country runner setting another ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to host Virginia Tech Sunday at noon at Cobb Stadium. ...