The year of the rooster

Traditionally the “New Year” is celebrated on Jan. 1, but in China, the New Year isn’t until February. This year Chinese New Year is Feb. 9, the year of the rooster, and Chinese New Year is another reason to celebrate.

Historically there are three ways to name the New Year for the Chinese. The first is by animal, or a mascot. There are 12 animals in the Chinese calendar, including the rooster, the ox, the rabbit and the rat. Since every animal represents one year, the cycle is recycled after 12 years.

For the Chinese the second way to name the New Year is its former name. A complicated system, as there are 60 names in it, it too is recycled after the pattern has been used. Along with this year being the year of the rooster, its name is Yiyou.

Finally, the third way to recognize the Chinese New Year is by actual years that are kept by the Chinese calendar; this is year is 4702.

The Chinese New Year is one of the biggest holidays in the Chinese calendar and combined with a 15-day celebration, the Chinese use vivid decorations and wild events to celebrate.

In spirit, check out events around Miami that celebrate the New Year all over again-and don’t forget to wear red.

Joanna Davila can be contacted at j.davila1@umiami.edu.

Keontra Smith waited a long time for the Miami Hurricnaes to finally offer him. The defensive back g ...

University of Miami true freshman running back Cam’ron Davis, known as Cam for short, is about to lo ...

It’s impossible for the Miami Hurricanes to ignore all the negative feedback which comes along with ...

The Pittsburgh Panthers’ win against the Virginia Tech Hokies was, for all intents and purposes, alr ...

University of Miami athletic director Blake James has no intention of pressuring or forcing coach Ma ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

UM Professor of Law Frances R. Hill tells us what we should know. ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

An international study led by University of Miami tropical biologists reveals that tropical trees ar ...

The Canes top the Golden Eagles to move onto the WNIT Championship game. ...

The Canes know the importance a win over Virginia Tech on Saturday can have heading into the final w ...

The University of Miami women's golf team announced Thursday that international amateur standou ...

N'Kosi Perry wants to build off his showing at Georgia Tech with another strong performance thi ...

Tournament runs Nov. 21-24, 2019, in Charleston, S.C. ...