Frisby shines in crucial moment

On a day when each team shot under 40 percent from the field, it was only fitting that the winning points came from the free-throw line. Senior Will Frisby hit two of the biggest free throws of his career to lift Miami to a thrilling overtime upset of No. 22 Maryland.

After missing a dunk that would have given the Hurricanes a five-point lead with 1:28 to play in overtime, Frisby redeemed himself by taking a charge on Nik Caner-Medley with 15 seconds to play.

With the score tied at 73, Robert Hite missed a running jumper, but Frisby grabbed the offensive rebound and got fouled with 0.8 left to play.

The 6-8 forward swished the first shot, and then swished the second, which goes against most basketball wisdom.

“I told him to miss that second shot,” Head Coach Frank Haith said. “But Will was in the zone and didn’t hear me.”

By making the second free throw, Maryland was able to take the ball out from out of bounds with the clock stopped and set up a play. The Terps ended up getting a good look at the buzzer, but the shot fell wide and the Convocation Center went into a frenzy.

It wasn’t the first time Frisby went to the line for two crucial free throws. Last season he sent a game against Boston College into overtime with two free throws at the end of regulation.

Frisby finished with 15 points, but none more crucial than the two that came with under a second to play.

Douglas C. Kroll can be reached at d.kroll@umiami.edu.

Eleven football seasons ago, after the Miami Hurricanes and FIU Panthers met at the Orange Bowl for ...

University of Miami fans no doubt are loving the Hurricanes’ two newest tight ends. What they’re pro ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Though UM wasn’t called for a single penalty against ...

Two of the best athletes and a freshman quarterback on the No. 21 University of Miami football team ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

NASPA names UM as a Lead Advisory Institution for the seventh year in a row. ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball program won its third straight match in 3-0 fashion on Friday night ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team registered two straight-set wins Friday ...

It's been over a decade since they last met, but Miami and FIU are set to renew their crosstown ...

The University of Miami cross country team gears up to compete in its third meet of the season this ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a five-year contract extensio ...