Frisby shines in crucial moment

On a day when each team shot under 40 percent from the field, it was only fitting that the winning points came from the free-throw line. Senior Will Frisby hit two of the biggest free throws of his career to lift Miami to a thrilling overtime upset of No. 22 Maryland.

After missing a dunk that would have given the Hurricanes a five-point lead with 1:28 to play in overtime, Frisby redeemed himself by taking a charge on Nik Caner-Medley with 15 seconds to play.

With the score tied at 73, Robert Hite missed a running jumper, but Frisby grabbed the offensive rebound and got fouled with 0.8 left to play.

The 6-8 forward swished the first shot, and then swished the second, which goes against most basketball wisdom.

“I told him to miss that second shot,” Head Coach Frank Haith said. “But Will was in the zone and didn’t hear me.”

By making the second free throw, Maryland was able to take the ball out from out of bounds with the clock stopped and set up a play. The Terps ended up getting a good look at the buzzer, but the shot fell wide and the Convocation Center went into a frenzy.

It wasn’t the first time Frisby went to the line for two crucial free throws. Last season he sent a game against Boston College into overtime with two free throws at the end of regulation.

Frisby finished with 15 points, but none more crucial than the two that came with under a second to play.

Douglas C. Kroll can be reached at d.kroll@umiami.edu.