Frisby shines in crucial moment

On a day when each team shot under 40 percent from the field, it was only fitting that the winning points came from the free-throw line. Senior Will Frisby hit two of the biggest free throws of his career to lift Miami to a thrilling overtime upset of No. 22 Maryland.

After missing a dunk that would have given the Hurricanes a five-point lead with 1:28 to play in overtime, Frisby redeemed himself by taking a charge on Nik Caner-Medley with 15 seconds to play.

With the score tied at 73, Robert Hite missed a running jumper, but Frisby grabbed the offensive rebound and got fouled with 0.8 left to play.

The 6-8 forward swished the first shot, and then swished the second, which goes against most basketball wisdom.

“I told him to miss that second shot,” Head Coach Frank Haith said. “But Will was in the zone and didn’t hear me.”

By making the second free throw, Maryland was able to take the ball out from out of bounds with the clock stopped and set up a play. The Terps ended up getting a good look at the buzzer, but the shot fell wide and the Convocation Center went into a frenzy.

It wasn’t the first time Frisby went to the line for two crucial free throws. Last season he sent a game against Boston College into overtime with two free throws at the end of regulation.

Frisby finished with 15 points, but none more crucial than the two that came with under a second to play.

Douglas C. Kroll can be reached at d.kroll@umiami.edu.

Lots of nuggets on new UM quarterback Tate Martell, the fallout and Jarren Williams’ reaction: ▪ Whe ...

Katie Meier is a legend at Duke. Her photo hangs in the concourse at Cameron Indoor Arena. She was t ...

New University of Miami head coach Manny Diaz was asked on the radio the morning after he was hired, ...

Jalen Hurts is off the market — and he’s not making his way to South Florida. The former Alabama Cri ...

For three years earlier this decade, Marlins Park would masquerade as a football venue at least once ...

Gisela Vega, the former associate director of LGBTQA Initiatives at Florida International University ...

With new “personas” allowing for a more personalized mobile experience, the redesigned University of ...

Teams of scholars will use U-LINK grants to examine ways to reduce opportunity gaps and biases in mu ...

The film launches the 2019 film series for the UM Libraries Cuban Heritage Collection. ...

Here’s a go-to list of dates you should keep an eye on throughout the semester, along with some tidb ...

Miami released its 2019 football schedule highlighted by a season-opening matchup against Florida in ...

University of Miami head women's volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara announced Monda ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Monday that it will host its fifth annual Celebration of Wom ...

After a weekend bye, the Miami women's basketball team resumes action Thursday evening at 7 p.m ...

The University of Miami football program has hired Dan Enos as its offensive coordinator and quarter ...