Elsewhere – Auburn U. dean vows to shave head for voter turnout

(U-WIRE) AUBURN, Ala.-In an attempt to persuade students to vote in Auburn University’s Student Government Association elections Feb. 9, Dean of Students Kent Smith said he will shave his head if 7,200 students turn out for the elections.

Smith said in the last election 6,400 students voted. His goal is to raise the number 12 percent.

“I’m trying to find ways to motivate students to be part of the political process,” Smith said.

Students need to vote because the people who are going to be elected will be deciding things that are important on campus and elsewhere, Smith said.

“I really think we can do it. Getting 800 more students to vote, I don’t think it’s unrealistic,” Smith said. “Our goal is ultimately 10,000. If Auburn is going to be the special place it is, students need to get involved in the process.”

The date and time for Smith’s shaving has not been determined yet, but he will do away with his hair if enough students vote.

“I’ve never had a shaved head, and I’m not sure how interested I am in that. However, if the students come through, I’ll do it,” he said.

Smith said he had not decided who would wield the razor.

“If people want to walk by while I’m on the concourse and take different shots at shaving my head, I’ll let them do it,” Smith said.

Keontra Smith waited a long time for the Miami Hurricnaes to finally offer him. The defensive back g ...

University of Miami true freshman running back Cam’ron Davis, known as Cam for short, is about to lo ...

It’s impossible for the Miami Hurricanes to ignore all the negative feedback which comes along with ...

The Pittsburgh Panthers’ win against the Virginia Tech Hokies was, for all intents and purposes, alr ...

University of Miami athletic director Blake James has no intention of pressuring or forcing coach Ma ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

UM Professor of Law Frances R. Hill tells us what we should know. ...

The Canes top the Golden Eagles to move onto the WNIT Championship game. ...

The Canes know the importance a win over Virginia Tech on Saturday can have heading into the final w ...

The University of Miami women's golf team announced Thursday that international amateur standou ...

N'Kosi Perry wants to build off his showing at Georgia Tech with another strong performance thi ...

Tournament runs Nov. 21-24, 2019, in Charleston, S.C. ...