Briefs – TENNIS

Women’s Tennis

The 12th ranked University of Miami women’s tennis team fell to 11th-ranked Washington 4-3 Saturday evening in the consolation round of the USTA/ITA National Team Indoor Championships at the University of Wisconsin’s A.C. Nielsen Tennis Stadium.

The Hurricanes (2-2) opened strong, winning the doubles point to take a 1-0 match lead. UM’s eighth-ranked doubles duo of Megan Bradley and Audrey Banada downed 56th-ranked Dinka Hadzic and Dea Sumantri 8-5 before Melissa Applebaum and Caren Seenauth joined to defeat Saskia Nauenberg and Allison Rainey 8-6 to clinch the point.

(2) Bradley defeated (38) Sumantri 6-1, 6-3 in the No.1 singles slot to put the Hurricanes up 2-0. The Columbia, Missouri native dominated in singles and doubles throughout the weekend going 3-0 in both from the No. 1 position.

The Huskies notched a point after Hadzic downed senior Staci Stevens 6-0, 6-0 at No. 2.

Freshman Patricia Starzyk finished next, earning a 6-2, 7-5 victory over Tara Simpson at No. 5 to give Miami a 3-1 lead. Starzyk also finished the weekend with a 3-0 record in singles.

Washington went on to win in both the No. 4 and No. 6 positions to tie the score at 3-all. Banada fell to Nauenberg 7-5, 6-4 at No. 4 while freshman Juliette Mavroleon lost a close battle with Allison Rainey 7-6(6), 6-4 at No. 6.

The Huskies clinched the match after Mugette Ahn outlasted junior Melissa Applebaum in three sets 6-3, 3-6, 6-3 in the No. 3 position.

The Hurricanes return to action when they host cross-town rival Florida International Friday, Feb. 18 at 1:00 p.m. in the Neil Schiff Tennis Center.

Men’s Tennis

Junior Tim Krebs earned Miami’s only point of the day, winning at No. 2 singles, as the 47th-ranked Miami men’s tennis team fell 6-1 to in-state rivals Florida-ranked third nationally-Friday afternoon at Linder Stadium at the Ring Tennis Complex in Gainesville, Fla.

The Hurricanes (1-1) surrendered each of the doubles matches to the Gators (3-0) to fall 1-0 early heading into singles play.

UM senior Luis Manrique fell in straight sets (6-2, 6-0) in the No. 5 slot to Florida’s Jordan Dolberg just before UF’s Ryan Sherry downed freshman Ryan Waits, 6-1, 6-1 at No. 6 to give the Gators a 3-0 lead.

Krebs, ranked 123rd nationally in singles, finished next, downing the nation’s 47th-ranked singles player, Greg Ouellette, in straight sets (6-3, 6-2).

The UM comeback was short-lived as the Gators’ Hamid Mirzadeh defeated sophomore Josh Cohen, ranked 26th nationally, 6-1, 6-3 to clinch the match.

The Gators went on to win at No. 3 and No. 4 singles, downing UM junior John Hoyes and freshman Vivek Subramanian, respectively, to seal the 6-1 victory.

The Hurricanes will return to action Sunday, traveling to Tampa, Fla. to take on South Florida at noon.

Sebastian the Ibis of the University of Miami displayed tremendous defense in leading the Pizza Hut ...

June is one of the most important months in the recruiting calendar and the Miami Hurricanes finishe ...

A six-pack of notes from UM’s annual Paradise Camp on Saturday: ▪ Few Canes greats have as unique a ...

Paradise Camp continues to pay dividends for the Miami Hurricanes. As the camp wrapped up Saturday, ...

As Manny Diaz puts it, Paradise Camp is the Miami Hurricanes’ bridge between three generations. It s ...

In the first course of its kind on a college campus, faculty, staff, and students will learn if they ...

University of Miami Libraries is working to establish a University archive of LGBTQ materials. ...

University of Miami football players and coaches mentored area youth at a free football clinic in Ho ...

Some scientists fear that the new fifth generation of wireless networks interferes with critical sat ...

A new study led by Miller School professor Dr. Claes Wahlestedt observes that key molecular programs ...

Five members of the Miami women's tennis team earned All-ACC Academic Team distinction, as anno ...

Eight Miami Hurricanes were among those recognized by the conference with selections to the Track an ...

Franco Aubone and Francisco Bastias of the University of Miami men's tennis team were selected ...

UM forward Dewan Hernandez was selected 59th overall by the Toronto Raptors in the 2019 NBA Draft. ...

Check out the June edition of UM Athletics' e-magazine. ...