UMNEWS – UM Rosenstiel School of Marine Science opens lab in the Bahamas

The Rosenstiel School celebrated the opening of a new, full-time lab in Highborne Cay, the Bahamas, on Saturday, Jan. 29. The lab will allow continuous observation of living examples of Earth’s oldest known macrofossils to learn more about Earth’s history.

Funded primarily by the National Science Foundation, the Highborne Cay Research Station will enable Rosenstiel School researchers and collaborators to investigate Bahamian stromatolites on a year-round basis.

Stromatolites are layered, fossilized deposits, mainly composed of limestone and formed by bacteria. They are the oldest known fossils, dating back more than three billion years. Though were common in Precambrian time (more than 540 million years ago), they are rare in today’s oceans, only growing in abundance in Shark Bay, Australia, and the Exuma Cays, Bahamas.

“Stromatolites are the main source of information on early life for 85 percent of the rock record,” said Pamela Reid, Rosenstiel School professor and principal investigator. “The continual observation that the new lab affords will allow us to learn more about the growth of these reefs under changing environmental conditions.”

The ability to chronicle adaptive processes of these living fossils on a daily basis will advance the understanding of evolution of early life on Earth and possibly other planets.

Three of four University of Miami scholarship quarterbacks were suspended at various times this seas ...

While the University of Miami offense has struggled mightily this season, its defense has been stell ...

The Pittsburgh Panthers boast one of the best rushing offenses in the country. On Saturday, the Miam ...

After watching several juniors turn pro and then go late in the draft or not at all in recent years, ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Monday: ▪ If you ever wondered what the Hurricanes would look like if ...

Erin Kobetz, director of Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center’s Firefighter Cancer Initiative, disc ...

Kristiana Yao, who graduated summa cum laude in May, said she was “still in shock” after finding out ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

The Miami women's basketball team jumped two spots to No. 22 nationally in the first in-season ...

The Canes got back to their winning ways with an impressive 38-14 victory at Virginia Tech. ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team dropped a 75-52 decision Sunday at Iowa State in the P ...

20-point performances from Chris Lykes and DJ Vasiljevic led Miami past Bethune-Cookman. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team forced No. 10 Pitt to five sets in a thrilling match on Seni ...