Lights, camera, Krystal action

Never before have two-and-a-half inches of meat created such a stir. To all fast food fiends and commercial icon wannabes, if you missed the Krystal promotion in the University Center this past Friday, you missed the casting call of a lifetime.

That is because this wasn’t your typical commercial shoot. This casting call was reserved for the true lovers of Krystal fast food and those willing to try their first Krystal burger in front of a camera. There were no phonies allowed at this taping of unscripted and uninhibited customer testimonials.

For those of you not familiar with the Krystal Company, take a gander at these awesome facts. Krystal fast-food outlets have been in operation throughout the Southeast since 1932. Its most notorious product is a square burger with steamed-in onion flavor. The meat, lodged between two chewy golden buns, measures no more than 2.5 inches in size. Their diminutive proportions can’t mask an enormity of great taste that has earned Krystal Burgers a reputation for being consumed by the “Sackful.” As this author can attest, nobody can eat just one. In fact, I ate my first two Krystals on the set.

A revolutionary piece of technology, the “Varnson Prompter” was used in filming the Krystal commercials. This two-way video prompter that doubles as a camera allowed for volunteers to converse with a Krystal representative as if he were stationed inside the camera itself. In reality, a transparent video screen broadcast the interviewer from a remote location while the camera filmed volunteers through the other side. Although they were staring directly into a rolling camera, Krystal fans seemed to be chatting with a “man-in-the-box.” The relaxed format made for some hilarious and impromptu banter that brought out the true Krystal lover in all who partook.

If you are wondering where you can grab yourself a sackful-a 12-pack of burgers that is-the nearest Krystal is on Sunrise Blvd. in Ft Lauderdale. Watch for the commercials filmed here in South Florida to begin airing in March. For more information visit www.krystal.com.

John Heslin can be reached at j.heslin@umiami.edu.

Three of four University of Miami scholarship quarterbacks were suspended at various times this seas ...

While the University of Miami offense has struggled mightily this season, its defense has been stell ...

The Pittsburgh Panthers boast one of the best rushing offenses in the country. On Saturday, the Miam ...

After watching several juniors turn pro and then go late in the draft or not at all in recent years, ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Monday: ▪ If you ever wondered what the Hurricanes would look like if ...

Throughout campus, students expressed gratitude that they can be at UM and visit family during the T ...

Vector-borne specialist John Beier tells us what we should know about the illness. ...

Erin Kobetz, director of Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center’s Firefighter Cancer Initiative, disc ...

Kristiana Yao, who graduated summa cum laude in May, said she was “still in shock” after finding out ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

The Miami women's basketball team jumped two spots to No. 22 nationally in the first in-season ...

The Canes got back to their winning ways with an impressive 38-14 victory at Virginia Tech. ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team dropped a 75-52 decision Sunday at Iowa State in the P ...

20-point performances from Chris Lykes and DJ Vasiljevic led Miami past Bethune-Cookman. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team forced No. 10 Pitt to five sets in a thrilling match on Seni ...