Hick-hop entertains rebels at Chili Cookoff

Forget hip-hop, hick-hop dominated this weekend at the KISS Country Chili Cookoff as more than 40,000 die-hard country fans descended on C.B. Smith Park in Pembroke Pines. Among the performers were Hank Williams Jr., Montgomery Gentry, Keith Urban, Big & Rich and Katrina Elam. After seeing this show, or more likely, this crowd, it became very apparent that any one who thinks that South Florida is part of the “South” is seriously mistaken. How many pickup trucks waving “rebel” flags (a.k.a. Confederate flags) do you see driving down Ponce on your way to class? By the time Williams performed, many people had been “tailgating” since 7 a.m. But being barely able to stand (Budweiser keg tricks will do that to you) didn’t keep them from raising their cowboy hats into the air as they sang, “save a horse, ride a cowboy.”

Most people, regardless of whether they like the music, will agree that country songs tell stories better then anyone. For that reason, here are some tips from the weekends performers

“I’ve seen enough to know I know what I like,
It’s the hard working, head turning, rugged type”
-Katina Elam, I want a cowboy

“‘Cause we’ve got better things that we can do,
When it’s raining on Sunday”
-Keith Urban, Raining on Sunday

“And the girls say,
Save a horse, ride a cowboy”
-Big & Rich, Save a horse, ride a cowboy

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team will begin her fall campaign Thursday a ...

Through three games, Miami is No. 1 in the country in tackles for loss and the entire Hurricanes def ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to return to Cobb Stadium, where it will host No. 12 Duke ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...