Hick-hop entertains rebels at Chili Cookoff

Forget hip-hop, hick-hop dominated this weekend at the KISS Country Chili Cookoff as more than 40,000 die-hard country fans descended on C.B. Smith Park in Pembroke Pines. Among the performers were Hank Williams Jr., Montgomery Gentry, Keith Urban, Big & Rich and Katrina Elam. After seeing this show, or more likely, this crowd, it became very apparent that any one who thinks that South Florida is part of the “South” is seriously mistaken. How many pickup trucks waving “rebel” flags (a.k.a. Confederate flags) do you see driving down Ponce on your way to class? By the time Williams performed, many people had been “tailgating” since 7 a.m. But being barely able to stand (Budweiser keg tricks will do that to you) didn’t keep them from raising their cowboy hats into the air as they sang, “save a horse, ride a cowboy.”

Most people, regardless of whether they like the music, will agree that country songs tell stories better then anyone. For that reason, here are some tips from the weekends performers

“I’ve seen enough to know I know what I like,
It’s the hard working, head turning, rugged type”
-Katina Elam, I want a cowboy

“‘Cause we’ve got better things that we can do,
When it’s raining on Sunday”
-Keith Urban, Raining on Sunday

“And the girls say,
Save a horse, ride a cowboy”
-Big & Rich, Save a horse, ride a cowboy

After the Miami Hurricanes football team spent part of its practice on Monday in a torrential downpo ...

Nothing like a comic book cover on steroids to get University of Miami and LSU football fans juiced ...

They are two big bodies with experience, but new to the University of Miami. And the Miami Hurricane ...

Freshman quarterback Jarren Williams, who returned to practice Wednesday after missing most of Tuesd ...

Corey Gaynor is working hard to solidify his spot as backup center to UM senior standout Tyler Gauth ...

Intergroup Dialogue, soon to be offered as a course, fosters a sense of belonging, an appreciation f ...

Aretha Franklin and her music defined “what is soul” to generations of music lovers. ...

The University of Miami kicked into high gear to welcome thousands of new students and ensure move-i ...

UM President Julio Frenk welcomes first-year and transfer students to UM in signature ’Cane Kickoff ...

Miami Law conducts its inaugural Legal Impact Hack for first-year students. ...

In head coach Sarah Barnes' debut at the helm, the University of Miami soccer team won its seas ...

The Hurricanes practiced in the Carol Soffer Indoor Practice Facility for the first time ever on Fri ...

Malik Rosier, Travis Homer and Ahmmon Richards are key returning playmakers, but they are just the b ...

The University of Miami soccer team will travel to Boca Raton, Fla., Friday night as the team kicks ...

The University of Miami's volleyball team returns to the Knight Sports Complex on Saturday at 3 ...