Culture

Hick-hop entertains rebels at Chili Cookoff

Forget hip-hop, hick-hop dominated this weekend at the KISS Country Chili Cookoff as more than 40,000 die-hard country fans descended on C.B. Smith Park in Pembroke Pines. Among the performers were Hank Williams Jr., Montgomery Gentry, Keith Urban, Big & Rich and Katrina Elam. After seeing this show, or more likely, this crowd, it became very apparent that any one who thinks that South Florida is part of the “South” is seriously mistaken. How many pickup trucks waving “rebel” flags (a.k.a. Confederate flags) do you see driving down Ponce on your way to class? By the time Williams performed, many people had been “tailgating” since 7 a.m. But being barely able to stand (Budweiser keg tricks will do that to you) didn’t keep them from raising their cowboy hats into the air as they sang, “save a horse, ride a cowboy.”

Most people, regardless of whether they like the music, will agree that country songs tell stories better then anyone. For that reason, here are some tips from the weekends performers

“I’ve seen enough to know I know what I like,
It’s the hard working, head turning, rugged type”
-Katina Elam, I want a cowboy

“‘Cause we’ve got better things that we can do,
When it’s raining on Sunday”
-Keith Urban, Raining on Sunday

“And the girls say,
Save a horse, ride a cowboy”
-Big & Rich, Save a horse, ride a cowboy

University of Miami President Julio Frenk and Miami-Dade Public Schools Superintendent Alberto Carva

Experts in the Department of Political Science’s 2020 election class explain why all eyes may be on

The Frost School of Music’s Band of the Hour discovers new ways to deliver school spirit at the Hard

Lauren Markwith played four years with Miami Hurricanes soccer. Now, she is on staff for Inter Miami

Sierra Domb uses her communications skills to raise awareness of and funding for studies on a sensor