Elsewhere – Honda brings newest robot to Ohio State U.

(U-WIRE) COLUMBUS, Ohio – Honda’s humanoid robot ASIMO came to Ohio State Thursday showcasing the product of dreaming, hard work and science.

ASIMO, short for Advanced Step in Innovative Mobility, is Honda’s latest humanoid robot. ASIMO evolved from a 19-year lineage and entertained a crowd of collegiate, middle and high school students.

“ASIMO was awesome,” said Libby Brannon, a sophomore in materials science and engineering. “I want to change my major to mechanical engineering now so that I can work on robotics. It was simply amazing.”

ASIMO, which has a childlike design, stands four feet tall and weighs 115 pounds. The robot’s movements are modeled after human motion and are controlled by 26 motors that allow it to walk forward, backward and side to side, on curved paths and up stairs.

The multimillion-dollar humanoid has been designed for more than just putting on demonstrations of Honda engineering. It is a member of the Robot Hall Of Fame and has met multiple foreign leaders.

In robots such as ASIMO, a set of computer instructions enables the machine to make primary decisions on its own. ASIMO has also “learned” how to smoothly navigate the easiest path between two points. Though it has independent motion, the instructions are inputted from a wireless laptop computer.

The Miami Hurricanes found new life Saturday — despite so much seemingly going wrong. Big plays on o ...

At least in terms of their bowl situation, the Miami Hurricanes can take a deep, collective breath. ...

Thoughts, notes, reaction and postscripts after UM’s 38-14 win on Saturday at Virginia Tech, making ...

There wasn’t much energy in the Watsco Center stands on Saturday afternoon as most University of Mia ...

View photos from the Bethune-Cookman wildcats at Miami Hurricanes in a NCAA college basketball game ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

The Canes got back to their winning ways with an impressive 38-14 victory at Virginia Tech. ...

20-point performances from Chris Lykes and DJ Vasiljevic led Miami past Bethune-Cookman. ...

Seniors Kolby Bird and Haley Templeton will play in their final match at the James L. Knight Sports ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team is headed to Iowa State for the Preseason WNIT champio ...

The Canes hit the road for the final time in the 2018 regular season and it is to a familiar and hos ...