Elsewhere – Honda brings newest robot to Ohio State U.

(U-WIRE) COLUMBUS, Ohio – Honda’s humanoid robot ASIMO came to Ohio State Thursday showcasing the product of dreaming, hard work and science.

ASIMO, short for Advanced Step in Innovative Mobility, is Honda’s latest humanoid robot. ASIMO evolved from a 19-year lineage and entertained a crowd of collegiate, middle and high school students.

“ASIMO was awesome,” said Libby Brannon, a sophomore in materials science and engineering. “I want to change my major to mechanical engineering now so that I can work on robotics. It was simply amazing.”

ASIMO, which has a childlike design, stands four feet tall and weighs 115 pounds. The robot’s movements are modeled after human motion and are controlled by 26 motors that allow it to walk forward, backward and side to side, on curved paths and up stairs.

The multimillion-dollar humanoid has been designed for more than just putting on demonstrations of Honda engineering. It is a member of the Robot Hall Of Fame and has met multiple foreign leaders.

In robots such as ASIMO, a set of computer instructions enables the machine to make primary decisions on its own. ASIMO has also “learned” how to smoothly navigate the easiest path between two points. Though it has independent motion, the instructions are inputted from a wireless laptop computer.

By showing how the controversial crime-fighting strategy is unevenly employed in marginalized neighb ...

Hosmay Lopez, of the NOAA Cooperative Institute for Marine and Atmospheric Studies at the University ...

UM alumna Shirley Hoffman Kilkelly was one of the few women engineers who worked on the Apollo 11 mo ...

College of Engineering alumnus Frank DeMattia was just 21 years old when he went to work at NASA on ...

Registered dietitian Stephanie Sanchez shares realistic, healthy ways to get you on track and headed ...

Sophomore tight end Brevin Jordan was among the 60 players named to the 2019 John Mackey Award Prese ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team added yet another elite accolade to her ...

Redshirt senior wide receiver K.J. Osborn was among six ACC players named to The Biletnikoff Award W ...

The National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) has awarded the University of Miami a 2019 NCAA ...

Dane Dunlap, William Grattan-Smith and Franco Aubone were each selected as All-Academic Scholar Athl ...