Council holds viewing party for State of the Union

Council for Democracy hosted “Pitchers and Politics: The State of the Union Address” Wednesday night in the UC. Edward Martos, President of the Council, led the event.

“This is part of our Pitchers and Politics series, but tonight it’s Pizza and Politics,” Martos said. “We started the Pitchers and Politics series last semester when we hosted three debate watch parties.”

During his speech, President George W. Bush said university costs are expected to decrease due to more Pell grants.

Bush also discussed the need to grant permission to temporary guest workers and he spent more than 10 minutes discussing Social Security reform.

“For younger workers, there are serious problems that will grow with time,” Bush said. “We must reform Social Security through voluntary personal retirement accounts, with money going into stocks and bonds.”

He mentioned new programs for youth.

“I want to keep young men out of jail and gangs, have them reject violence and respect women,” Bush said to applause.

He also spoke about government improvements with regard to defense, mentioning the success of last week’s vote in Iraq but saying that no timetable would be set for peace.

Bush said that he would ask Congress for $350 million for achieving peaceful Palestinian and Israeli states.

Dr. Moore, political science professor, made comments after the speech.

He said the guest worker program has proved to be a problem for Europe and may also be the case for the U.S.

Dr. Moore also mentioned that although the speech was short as a whole, the president spent almost half of it discussing foreign policy.

“The elections were a landmark event in Iraq. In regards to the Middle East, $350 million is a huge amount to be spending on Palestine,” he said.

Dr. Moore added that Bush was describing a “flypaper theory” regarding Iraq: There are a fixed number of terrorists, most of whom are attracted to Iraq, instead of America.

“The goal he mentioned for Iraq-a completely democratic and peaceful with its neighbors government-means that we will not be out of Iraq in your lifetime,” said Dr. Moore.

Reeva Oza can be contacted at r.oza@umiami.edu.

Keontra Smith waited a long time for the Miami Hurricnaes to finally offer him. The defensive back g ...

University of Miami true freshman running back Cam’ron Davis, known as Cam for short, is about to lo ...

It’s impossible for the Miami Hurricanes to ignore all the negative feedback which comes along with ...

The Pittsburgh Panthers’ win against the Virginia Tech Hokies was, for all intents and purposes, alr ...

University of Miami athletic director Blake James has no intention of pressuring or forcing coach Ma ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

UM Professor of Law Frances R. Hill tells us what we should know. ...

The Canes top the Golden Eagles to move onto the WNIT Championship game. ...

The Canes know the importance a win over Virginia Tech on Saturday can have heading into the final w ...

The University of Miami women's golf team announced Thursday that international amateur standou ...

N'Kosi Perry wants to build off his showing at Georgia Tech with another strong performance thi ...

Tournament runs Nov. 21-24, 2019, in Charleston, S.C. ...