Council holds viewing party for State of the Union

Council for Democracy hosted “Pitchers and Politics: The State of the Union Address” Wednesday night in the UC. Edward Martos, President of the Council, led the event.

“This is part of our Pitchers and Politics series, but tonight it’s Pizza and Politics,” Martos said. “We started the Pitchers and Politics series last semester when we hosted three debate watch parties.”

During his speech, President George W. Bush said university costs are expected to decrease due to more Pell grants.

Bush also discussed the need to grant permission to temporary guest workers and he spent more than 10 minutes discussing Social Security reform.

“For younger workers, there are serious problems that will grow with time,” Bush said. “We must reform Social Security through voluntary personal retirement accounts, with money going into stocks and bonds.”

He mentioned new programs for youth.

“I want to keep young men out of jail and gangs, have them reject violence and respect women,” Bush said to applause.

He also spoke about government improvements with regard to defense, mentioning the success of last week’s vote in Iraq but saying that no timetable would be set for peace.

Bush said that he would ask Congress for $350 million for achieving peaceful Palestinian and Israeli states.

Dr. Moore, political science professor, made comments after the speech.

He said the guest worker program has proved to be a problem for Europe and may also be the case for the U.S.

Dr. Moore also mentioned that although the speech was short as a whole, the president spent almost half of it discussing foreign policy.

“The elections were a landmark event in Iraq. In regards to the Middle East, $350 million is a huge amount to be spending on Palestine,” he said.

Dr. Moore added that Bush was describing a “flypaper theory” regarding Iraq: There are a fixed number of terrorists, most of whom are attracted to Iraq, instead of America.

“The goal he mentioned for Iraq-a completely democratic and peaceful with its neighbors government-means that we will not be out of Iraq in your lifetime,” said Dr. Moore.

Reeva Oza can be contacted at r.oza@umiami.edu.

Navaughn Donaldson knew one thing mattered above all when he was forced to start playing center ahea ...

This spring hasn’t been easy for Miami redshirt sophomore Tate Martell, the former Ohio State quarte ...

The 2019-20 college basketball season is more than six months away, but the University of Miami Hurr ...

The University of Miami spring game Saturday will be here before you know it, and right about now, c ...

With about a third of the regular season left, the Miami Hurricanes baseball team is on the rise and ...

The Division of Student Affairs hosted a reception to present campus-wide awards and scholarships to ...

The University of Miami celebrates Earth Day with a host of activities at or near the Lakeside Patio ...

The nation’s oldest and most-widely known academic honor society inducted 45 students from the Colle ...

For the second installment of its “What Matters to U” lecture series, Student Government invited act ...

There is at least one member of House Hurricane in the Seven Kingdoms: alumnus David Nutter, who sha ...

The Canes will battle the Cardinals this weekend in a battle of ranked ACC foes. ...

Michelle Atherley earned the University of Miami track and field program's fourth ACC outdoor h ...

Canes' recruiting class now stands 25th in 247Sports Composite Ranking. ...

Miami head women's basketball coach Katie Meier announced Wednesday the signing of Moulayna Joh ...

The fifth-seeded and No. 21-ranked Miami women's tennis team begins ACC Championship action Thu ...