‘Canes baseball off to fast start

It was a night of firsts for the University of Miami baseball team on Tuesday.

The Hurricanes won their first game of the 2005 season behind starter Cesar Carrillo and got significant contributions from two first-year players in a 7-0 victory over Florida International University in front of 3,197 people at Mark Light Field.

In the 108th meeting between the cross-town rivals, Carrillo, a pre-season All-American, made his first start of the season and first-year players Danny Valencia and Patrick Feeny put a stamp on their first career UM games.

Carrillo (1-0), a sophomore, was impressive early. He retired the first three batters in order throwing first pitch strikes to each.

“Cesar has great stuff and you expect him to win every time he goes out there,” Head Coach Jim Morris said. “I think we are 18-0 when he starts. I don’t want to say I’m a betting guy, but if I was, I’d probably bet on him.”

In the bottom half of the first, Paco Figueroa reached on a walk and moved to second when FIU starter Ammer Cabrera’s pick-off attempt got past first baseman Michael Lopez. Figueroa advanced to third on a Cabrera wild pitch and scored on Ryan Braun’s sacrifice fly giving the ‘Canes a 1-0 lead.

The score remained the same until the ‘Canes busted out for five runs in the bottom of the sixth. Figueroa led off the inning with a single to left. Braun followed and was hit by a pitch, advancing Figueroa to second. Left fielder John Jay laid down a sacrifice bunt to advance the runners to second and third with one out. After right fielder Brendan Katin was intentionally walked to load the bases, FIU replaced Cabrera with right-hander Frank Gonzalez.

Gonzalez hit Tomas, scoring Figueroa from third and giving UM a 2-0 lead. Valencia, a UNC Greensboro transfer, followed with the first hit of his UM career, scoring Braun. After Alex Garabedian struck out, Morris brought in Feeny with the bases loaded and two out. Feeny, who was cut from the team last year, looped a single to center scoring two. Feeny’s first career hit gave the ‘Canes a 5-0 lead.

“It really helped to break the game open and I think we knocked them out of the game in that inning,” Feeny said. “It was big for me and a great experience, one I won’t forget.”

UM added its sixth run when Danny Figueroa, back after missing the entire 2004 season with shoulder and elbow injuries, singled to left.

Carrillo dominated FIU’s line-up for six strong innings, striking out six and giving up just two hits.

“I knew coming into Miami I was going to have a reputation to be undefeated,” Carrillo said. “I just want to go out there and show everyone I can pitch.”

After the game Morris said he was very pleased with his team’s effort.

“They have a good club,” he said, “and I thought we played well.”

Chris Hamilton can be contacted at c.hamilton2@umiami.edu.

It wasn’t long ago when the Miami Hurricanes’ Class of 2020 included the top three rising senior pro ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference Baseball Championship schedule is set. The No. 4 seed Miami Hurricanes ...

The first regular season of Gino DiMare’s head-coaching era ended Saturday at Mark Light Field. But ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ hopes for hosting an NCAA regional were damaged a bit on Friday night by a 12- ...

It took a long time for Dewan Hernandez to reach a point of acceptance for what happened to his juni ...

Imagine simulating diabetes, lung cancer, or heart disease on a device no larger than a credit card. ...

Alabama’s new abortion law puts the issue of women’s rights in the spotlight for the upcoming 2020 e ...

The University of Miami is shaping the future of education by using innovative approaches that drive ...

Six short films created by University of Miami film students will be screened in Los Angeles this we ...

Researchers from 16 Latin American and Caribbean countries, hosted by the Institute for the Advanced ...

Four Miami Hurricanes were among those recognized by the Atlantic Coast Conference Monday for their ...

The University of Miami track and field program garnered 20 entries in the 2019 NCAA East Preliminar ...

Miami's schedule features seven matches against teams that reached the NCAA Championship. ...

The Canes head to the ACC Baseball Championship ranked in the top 20 in every major poll. ...

Beatrice Mompremier of the Miami women's basketball team will once again represent her country ...