2005 Miss Black and Gold crowned, represents ‘sacred light’

The Eta Delta Chapter of Alpha Phi Alpha fraternity hosted its fifth annual Miss Black and Gold Pageant, sponsored by United Black Students, in the Clarke Recital Hall on Tuesday.

The theme of the evening was “The Seven Heiresses of the Light.” Bryon Henderson, second vice president of the fraternity, described it as “the sacred light [from God]” that will be carried by seven princesses or goddesses. Each of the contestants represented a part of the light through spirituality, strength, deeds, service, scholarship, leadership and love for all of mankind.

“[They] are chosen based on an application and interview,” said hostess Dominique Ward, a former winner. Contestants were evaluated in swimwear, talent, evening wear and a question-and-answer session, which Henderson said was probably most important to the judges.

The pageant also included the sisters of Alpha Kappa Alpha, who performed a skit, while juniors Henderson, Christopher Lomax and Teja Veal performed a musical selection.

The evening ended with the crowning of Fatima Henson, who will take on the responsibilities of the title and receive a monetary scholarship award.

“It held the tradition of being a classy, sophisticated pageant,” Mikki Marshall, junior, said.

Camille Cohen can be contacted at c.cohen@umiami.edu.

UM’s recruiting class — comprised so far of 14 non-binding commitments — has dropped to 40th overall ...

University of Miami basketball player Dewan Hernandez, who has missed the first nine games of the se ...

Anthony Solomon will head north for his college football career. The St. Thomas Aquinas linebacker a ...

A day after naming Ephraim Banda and Jonathan Patke co-defensive coordinators, the Miami Hurricanes ...

It doesn’t matter if the number is actually 21 or it’s just what Jeremiah Payton estimates now. Twen ...

Feelings of depression and anxiety rise during the holidays, but there’s plenty you can do to keep u ...

The Foote Fellows Honors Program offers students added flexibility to pursue multiple academic inter ...

Commencement speakers share gems of insight and wisdom as more than 1,000 UM students graduate in tw ...

During a news conference Wednesday, a UM medical team talked about the clinical findings after exami ...

Your one-stop shop for University of Miami fall commencement information. ...

The No. 24/22 Miami women's basketball team turned in another stellar defensive performance Sun ...

Hurricanes Name Banda, Patke Co-Defensive Coordinators; Promote Simpson to Associate Head Coach ...

The Hurricanes hosted their annual Football Awards Show Saturday at Gusman Hall, honoring the 2018 S ...

World Series champion and UM baseball All-American Jon Jay will headline the 2019 First Pitch Banque ...

Fall graduation ceremonies held Thursday at Watsco Center. ...