2005 Miss Black and Gold crowned, represents ‘sacred light’

The Eta Delta Chapter of Alpha Phi Alpha fraternity hosted its fifth annual Miss Black and Gold Pageant, sponsored by United Black Students, in the Clarke Recital Hall on Tuesday.

The theme of the evening was “The Seven Heiresses of the Light.” Bryon Henderson, second vice president of the fraternity, described it as “the sacred light [from God]” that will be carried by seven princesses or goddesses. Each of the contestants represented a part of the light through spirituality, strength, deeds, service, scholarship, leadership and love for all of mankind.

“[They] are chosen based on an application and interview,” said hostess Dominique Ward, a former winner. Contestants were evaluated in swimwear, talent, evening wear and a question-and-answer session, which Henderson said was probably most important to the judges.

The pageant also included the sisters of Alpha Kappa Alpha, who performed a skit, while juniors Henderson, Christopher Lomax and Teja Veal performed a musical selection.

The evening ended with the crowning of Fatima Henson, who will take on the responsibilities of the title and receive a monetary scholarship award.

“It held the tradition of being a classy, sophisticated pageant,” Mikki Marshall, junior, said.

Camille Cohen can be contacted at c.cohen@umiami.edu.

Is there an apt comparison for this year’s American League Championship series between the Boston Re ...

If the University of Miami defense isn’t boiling with frustration by now, it must be simmering in an ...

Miami Hurricanes redshirt senior Gerald Willis was the lone UM football player chosen for the Associ ...

A new batch of evidence presented Monday at the college basketball trial in New York seems to furthe ...

University of Miami coach Mark Richt apparently is a fan of President Teddy Roosevelt’s — or at leas ...

A grant from the German government will support a series of roundtable and networking sessions on U. ...

As BioNIUM’s new director, the chair of the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology plans t ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that globalization and technolo ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

Dr. Ralph Sacco, a top neurologist and researcher at the University of Miami Miller School of Medici ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...