2005 Miss Black and Gold crowned, represents ‘sacred light’

The Eta Delta Chapter of Alpha Phi Alpha fraternity hosted its fifth annual Miss Black and Gold Pageant, sponsored by United Black Students, in the Clarke Recital Hall on Tuesday.

The theme of the evening was “The Seven Heiresses of the Light.” Bryon Henderson, second vice president of the fraternity, described it as “the sacred light [from God]” that will be carried by seven princesses or goddesses. Each of the contestants represented a part of the light through spirituality, strength, deeds, service, scholarship, leadership and love for all of mankind.

“[They] are chosen based on an application and interview,” said hostess Dominique Ward, a former winner. Contestants were evaluated in swimwear, talent, evening wear and a question-and-answer session, which Henderson said was probably most important to the judges.

The pageant also included the sisters of Alpha Kappa Alpha, who performed a skit, while juniors Henderson, Christopher Lomax and Teja Veal performed a musical selection.

The evening ended with the crowning of Fatima Henson, who will take on the responsibilities of the title and receive a monetary scholarship award.

“It held the tradition of being a classy, sophisticated pageant,” Mikki Marshall, junior, said.

Camille Cohen can be contacted at c.cohen@umiami.edu.

Seniors Emily Gossett, Millie Chokshi, and Jason Kaplan are eager to implement their platform throug ...

Follow the sights and sounds of the pregame festivities in Orlando leading up to Saturday’s big game ...

A team of researchers created the first mapping model of its kind to track how hate spreads and adap ...

University of Miami professors who study water treatment and civil engineering say that water contam ...

University of Miami experts in health geography, law, and public health weigh in on some of the issu ...

The Hurricanes take center stage Saturday as the nation begins celebrating college football's 1 ...

Head coach Manny Diaz and The New Miami will make their debut against an old rival, facing No. 8 Flo ...

Freshman midfielder Ine Østmo joined the Hurricanes in January as an early enrolee from Mandal, Norw ...

Senior linebackers Shaquille Quarterman, Michael Pinckney and Zach McCloud have already made history ...

UM women's soccer opened its 2019 campaign by blowing past UTRGV, 4-0. ...