2005 Miss Black and Gold crowned, represents ‘sacred light’

The Eta Delta Chapter of Alpha Phi Alpha fraternity hosted its fifth annual Miss Black and Gold Pageant, sponsored by United Black Students, in the Clarke Recital Hall on Tuesday.

The theme of the evening was “The Seven Heiresses of the Light.” Bryon Henderson, second vice president of the fraternity, described it as “the sacred light [from God]” that will be carried by seven princesses or goddesses. Each of the contestants represented a part of the light through spirituality, strength, deeds, service, scholarship, leadership and love for all of mankind.

“[They] are chosen based on an application and interview,” said hostess Dominique Ward, a former winner. Contestants were evaluated in swimwear, talent, evening wear and a question-and-answer session, which Henderson said was probably most important to the judges.

The pageant also included the sisters of Alpha Kappa Alpha, who performed a skit, while juniors Henderson, Christopher Lomax and Teja Veal performed a musical selection.

The evening ended with the crowning of Fatima Henson, who will take on the responsibilities of the title and receive a monetary scholarship award.

“It held the tradition of being a classy, sophisticated pageant,” Mikki Marshall, junior, said.

Camille Cohen can be contacted at c.cohen@umiami.edu.

Linebacker might be the most important position for the Miami Hurricanes to recruit in the Class of ...

Issiah Walker Jr. won’t be at Paradise Camp on Saturday. Instead of attending the Miami Hurricanes’ ...

June is a huge recruiting month for the Miami Hurricanes. It concludes with Paradise Camp on June 22 ...

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Frank Garis first watched Jalen Rivers from the opposite sideline, and the offensive lineman was imp ...

The Frost Chopin Festival and Academy at the University of Miami provides unparalleled experiences f ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Nursing researchers and music therapists test a simple and cost-effective way of motivating critical ...

The University of Miami Libraries offer readers multiple ways to access the books, which are popular ...

Rosenstiel School researcher Martin Grosell weighs in on how marine life in the Gulf could be affect ...

The University of Miami volleyball program is set to host the Hurricane Invitational and nine ACC ho ...

Games will be contested July 3-14 in Naples, Italy. ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...

Two-time Miami women's basketball team co-captain Laura Cornelius is set to start her professio ...