Women’s tennis opens season with win

The University of Miami women’s tennis team set the tone for the season with straight-set wins against the Quakers. The ‘Canes were forced to make the University of Pennsylvania their opener after the match against Florida Atlantic was postponed due to undesirable weather conditions.

Senior Megan Bradley played up to her position at the No. 1 singles spot by taking on the Quakers’ Julia Koulbitskaya. Bradley finished the match in just two sets, winning 6-1, 6-2.

“Megan was one of the only people who didn’t look rusty on the court. She has had the most experience and it shows when she plays,” Head Coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews said.

Bradley also lent a hand in the doubles portion of the match alongside sophomore Audrey Banada, resulting in an 8-2 score over Penn’s Koulbitskaya and Michelle Mitchell. The No. 3 doubles team of Staci Stevens and Patricia Starzyk secured the doubles point after their 8-5 victory.

Junior Melissa Applebaum won the No. 3 singles match-up 6-4, 6-3, improving her overall record to 8-4.

Banada followed suit with a straight-set win at the No. 5 position.

Juliette Mavroleon, a freshman who previously reached a World Junior Ranking of No. 293 before becoming part of the team, defeated Caroline Stanislawski 6-2, 6-4, to end the individual matches.

Stevens, a senior, was forced into a third set after being overtaken 1-6 in the No. 2 singles spot. Stevens eventually outlasted the freshman Quaker winning the match.

Starzyk closed out the overall match with a three-set win 6-3, 0-6, 6-4.

Starzyk is the newest member of the Miami team and sole international player. The Austrian-born player held the title of national champion from 1994 through 2000. Her freshman season began just this semester.

“Staci and Patricia fought hard to the very end and finished strong. It really showed that they had character and endurance,” Yaroshuk-Tews said.

This will be Yaroshuk-Tews’ fourth season as head coach. Her success is a reflection of the methods she uses to build each individual player. With no set expectations for the season in terms of wins and losses, Yaroshuk-Tews maintains that the most important thing the squad needs to work on is mentally preparing for matches and keeping a positive outlook at the toughest points of a match.

“It’s one thing to go into a match thinking you can win, but another to keep that same mindset when you’re down,” Yaroshuk-Tews said. “If we work on that as well as their overall skill levels and consistency, we’ll have a winning season.”

Stacey Arnold can be contacted at s.arnold@umiami.edu.

Miami baseball coach Gino DiMare didn’t want his Hurricanes this past Sunday looking ahead to the we ...

When UM spring practice begins in a month, here’s one of many things the coaches need to determine: ...

Jaiden Francois already had a reputation as one of South Florida’s top defensive backs for the Class ...

It could be a fruitful year for the Miami Hurricanes in the 2019 NFL Draft. NFL Draft analyst Mel Ki ...

A quick six-pack off UM coach Manny Diaz’s conversation with Joe Zagacki and Don Bailey Jr. on WQAM’ ...

Students are invited to participate in the second annual Students of Color Symposium this weekend, f ...

The University of Miami connects scholarship recipients with the donors who helped make their educat ...

From eliminating waste to reusable containers, there are simple steps you can take to make UM more s ...

UM public health experts try to help tackle Venezuela’s ongoing health care crisis. ...

The Ring Theatre’s contemporary reworking of Molière’s “The Misanthrope” showcases the skills of UM’ ...

The University of Miami got off to a dream start at the ACC Swimming & Diving Championships Wedn ...

The sophomore first baseman smashed two homers to help power Canes to 4-0 start. ...

The University of Miami track and field team is set to compete at the 2019 ACC Indoor Track and Fiel ...

The Hurricanes will wrap up a four-game homestand with a midweek game against FAU on Wednesday at 6 ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team is set to cap its longest road stretch of the season T ...