UMNEWS – UM raises over $900,000 for United Way

The University celebrated the successful closing of this year’s United Way campaign, which raised over $900,000. Students and faculty all contributed to the effort to improve and strengthen the community.

In celebration, the annual United Way Leadership Reception, for those who donated one percent of their salary or more, was once again hosted by President Shalala at her home to honor and thank the faculty and staff who helped make the University’s United Way campaign a success.

Despite a rocky start due to Hurricane Frances, which forced the cancellation of the big kick-off event, and the other three hurricanes that hit Florida, the campaign is closing with some impressive results. Two hundred and sixty-three employees gave one percent of their salaries; 57 employees donated $1,000 or more; three employees donated $5,000 or more; five employees donated $10,000 or more; and $82,000 was raised through fundraising projects like raffles, luncheons and bake sales.

Jerry Lewis, vice president of University Communications, who chaired the campaign this year, said, “Once again our faculty, staff, and students have shown just how thoughtful, generous, and caring they can be. Their donations to United Way and the many agencies it supports will make a tremendous difference in the lives of tens-of-thousands of people in Miami-Dade County.”

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

Mark Richt is sticking with the veteran. The Miami Hurricanes coach announced during the weekly Atla ...

Is there an apt comparison for this year’s American League Championship series between the Boston Re ...

If the University of Miami defense isn’t boiling with frustration by now, it must be simmering in an ...

Miami Hurricanes redshirt senior Gerald Willis was the lone UM football player chosen for the Associ ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

A grant from the German government will support a series of roundtable and networking sessions on U. ...

As BioNIUM’s new director, the chair of the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology plans t ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that globalization and technolo ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

For the second straight year, all of the Miami women's basketball teams will be televised and f ...

The University of Miami soccer team heads to the Tar Heel state for a pair of road matches beginning ...

Get to Know U is a series that introduces the newest members of the Miami Hurricanes track and field ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...