UMNEWS – UM raises over $900,000 for United Way

The University celebrated the successful closing of this year’s United Way campaign, which raised over $900,000. Students and faculty all contributed to the effort to improve and strengthen the community.

In celebration, the annual United Way Leadership Reception, for those who donated one percent of their salary or more, was once again hosted by President Shalala at her home to honor and thank the faculty and staff who helped make the University’s United Way campaign a success.

Despite a rocky start due to Hurricane Frances, which forced the cancellation of the big kick-off event, and the other three hurricanes that hit Florida, the campaign is closing with some impressive results. Two hundred and sixty-three employees gave one percent of their salaries; 57 employees donated $1,000 or more; three employees donated $5,000 or more; five employees donated $10,000 or more; and $82,000 was raised through fundraising projects like raffles, luncheons and bake sales.

Jerry Lewis, vice president of University Communications, who chaired the campaign this year, said, “Once again our faculty, staff, and students have shown just how thoughtful, generous, and caring they can be. Their donations to United Way and the many agencies it supports will make a tremendous difference in the lives of tens-of-thousands of people in Miami-Dade County.”

Tufaan, the University of Miami’s South Asian a cappella group, needs the community’s help to advanc

Dr. Brandon Chatani, a Miller School of Medicine infectious disease specialist, offers advice on way

With the federal Endangered Species Act in danger, University of Miami researchers find that state p

An online exhibit spotlights the talents of two University of Miami incoming Master of Fine Arts gra

Casey Klofstad, political science professor, explains why and how voters should pay attention to pol