Elsewhere – ‘Imeem’ opens to compete with ‘Facebook’ at Indiana U.

(U-WIRE) BLOOMINGTON, Ind. – Move over, Thefacebook. Step aside, LiveJournal. Take a hike, Webshots.

Imeem has officially arrived at Indiana University.

Imeem combines a variety of features already popular through separate Web sites into one download. These include networking, journals, photo albums and chat.

Ted Malone, the vice president of marketing for imeem, said imeem released its software Friday to those with an “@indiana.edu” e-mail account.

Malone and his team visited colleges around the country in early December looking for the right colleges at which to start imeem’s base. The team chose nine colleges as its trial schools -Arizona State, IU, Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State, Purdue, Texas, Texas A&M and Western Michigan.

Malone said imeem, which is a Spyware-free program still in its initial stages, is more appealing than a site like TheFacebook because it combines popular Internet features into one place.

“It’s good because we have this journal feature, photo feature, a safe file-sharing feature and an (instant message) feature,” he said. “It’s sort of a one-stop-shop for all of those things. That’s sort of a fun feature of it.”

The imeem team of 13 full-time employees based in Palo Alto, Calif. has been working on its creation for about a year, Malone said.

Imeem is a venture-backed start-up business, which means a larger company, Morgenthaler Ventures, invested funds to help imeem get on its feet.

The Asa Martin era for the Miami Hurricanes might be coming to an end just six months after it began ...

Avantae Williams and Lorenzo Lingard punctuated Paradise Camp with a chest bump. The Miami Hurricane ...

Sebastian the Ibis of the University of Miami displayed tremendous defense in leading the Pizza Hut ...

June is one of the most important months in the recruiting calendar and the Miami Hurricanes finishe ...

A six-pack of notes from UM’s annual Paradise Camp on Saturday: ▪ Few Canes greats have as unique a ...

In the first course of its kind on a college campus, faculty, staff, and students will learn if they ...

University of Miami Libraries is working to establish a University archive of LGBTQ materials. ...

University of Miami football players and coaches mentored area youth at a free football clinic in Ho ...

Some scientists fear that the new fifth generation of wireless networks interferes with critical sat ...

A new study led by Miller School professor Dr. Claes Wahlestedt observes that key molecular programs ...

Five members of the Miami women's tennis team earned All-ACC Academic Team distinction, as anno ...

Eight Miami Hurricanes were among those recognized by the conference with selections to the Track an ...

Franco Aubone and Francisco Bastias of the University of Miami men's tennis team were selected ...

UM forward Dewan Hernandez was selected 59th overall by the Toronto Raptors in the 2019 NBA Draft. ...

Check out the June edition of UM Athletics' e-magazine. ...