Elsewhere – ‘Imeem’ opens to compete with ‘Facebook’ at Indiana U.

(U-WIRE) BLOOMINGTON, Ind. – Move over, Thefacebook. Step aside, LiveJournal. Take a hike, Webshots.

Imeem has officially arrived at Indiana University.

Imeem combines a variety of features already popular through separate Web sites into one download. These include networking, journals, photo albums and chat.

Ted Malone, the vice president of marketing for imeem, said imeem released its software Friday to those with an “@indiana.edu” e-mail account.

Malone and his team visited colleges around the country in early December looking for the right colleges at which to start imeem’s base. The team chose nine colleges as its trial schools -Arizona State, IU, Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State, Purdue, Texas, Texas A&M and Western Michigan.

Malone said imeem, which is a Spyware-free program still in its initial stages, is more appealing than a site like TheFacebook because it combines popular Internet features into one place.

“It’s good because we have this journal feature, photo feature, a safe file-sharing feature and an (instant message) feature,” he said. “It’s sort of a one-stop-shop for all of those things. That’s sort of a fun feature of it.”

The imeem team of 13 full-time employees based in Palo Alto, Calif. has been working on its creation for about a year, Malone said.

Imeem is a venture-backed start-up business, which means a larger company, Morgenthaler Ventures, invested funds to help imeem get on its feet.

Former University of Miami star running back Mark Walton was arrested late Friday on a charge of mis ...

Friday was strange for Gino DiMare. It wasn’t because his whole family went out to the mound at Alex ...

One thing was obvious to Wayne Younger the first time he got his hands on Ladarius Tennison: The ath ...

Though it’s early, UM already has assembled an outstanding nine-member 2020 recruiting class, a grou ...

Three days before they open their season against the Rutgers Scarlet Knights, the Miami Hurricanes h ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The University of Miami baseball team opened the Gino DiMare era with a record-setting victory over ...

The University of Miami women's swimming team put together 14 lifetime bests Saturday at its an ...

Game time is 6 p.m. in Chestnut Hill, Mass. ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team will play its second top-five foe in a span of three g ...

Despite earning the doubles point, the No. 15 Miami women's tennis team dropped a 5-2 decision ...