EDITORIAL – Admiration for Iraqi voters

Pamphlets distributed throughout Iraq warned voters that their lives would be at risk if they voted. One promised that the insurgents would “wash Baghdad streets with voters’ blood.” But the people were determined to vote. They would not let fear stop them from voicing their opinion. They swore that they would go and vote, even if they died at the polling site. They passed by snipers on the way to the voting booths. Through metal detectors, explosive detectors and many other security checkpoints, they continued in an attempt to ensure that their voices were heard.

Here in the United States, our voting conditions are not always ideal. People have been on the wrong voter lists, at the wrong precincts, missing absentee ballots and waiting in six-hour lines in order to vote. However, we don’t have the fear of death on our shoulders when we proudly walk in to the polls. We can go to the voting sites knowing that while some may disagree with whom we may be voting for, they most likely will not disagree with our partaking in the act of voting.

Due to threats of suicide bombers, car bombs and small-arms fire, Iraqi officials were forced to restrict travel, close borders and order curfews throughout the country. No one was allowed to carry weapons, or even drive a car. Many voters didn’t even know where they were voting, or for whom, until Election Day, all in an effort to protect the 13 million registered voters. Despite the attempts at protection and prevention, the day was not without tragedy. A rocket hit the U.S. Embassy in Baghdad, killing two Americans. There were explosions at polling sites across the country, killing Iraqis as well as U.S. soldiers.

However, voting is merely a baby step towards rebuilding Iraq. Some say the elections were scheduled too soon, given the level of insecurity in many parts of the country. Others point out that Iraqis had limited access to information on the candidates before Election Day. These criticisms are valid and deeply troubling, but they do not take away from the courage shown by those who voted.

Those who braved the conditions to vote were forced to have their fingerprints taken with ink that would remain for days. A U.S. officer was quoted by CNN as stating their “worst nightmare would be to have voters’ fingers chopped off.”

Think about the passion that abounded throughout this country, even on our campus, this past November when we were fortunate enough to be able to vote for our President. Would you have been brave enough to risk your life to vote? Would it be worth it to you? Instead of the sporting the trend Sean John “Vote or Die” shirts, would you be willing to “Vote or Die Trying?”

At their best, they are UM’s most dynamic players on each side of the ball. But the Ahmmon Richards ...

A day after practicing in the Carol Soffer Football Indoor Practice Facility for the first time in s ...

It appears that at least one LSU receiver won’t be available at the University of Miami football ope ...

After the Miami Hurricanes football team spent part of its practice on Monday in a torrential downpo ...

Nothing like a comic book cover on steroids to get University of Miami and LSU football fans juiced ...

Intergroup Dialogue, soon to be offered as a course, fosters a sense of belonging, an appreciation f ...

Aretha Franklin and her music defined “what is soul” to generations of music lovers. ...

The University of Miami kicked into high gear to welcome thousands of new students and ensure move-i ...

UM President Julio Frenk welcomes first-year and transfer students to UM in signature ’Cane Kickoff ...

Miami Law conducts its inaugural Legal Impact Hack for first-year students. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team won its exhibition match over FIU, 3-0, Saturday at the Knig ...

Coming off a road win in its season opener, the University of Miami soccer team will welcome crossto ...

In head coach Sarah Barnes' debut at the helm, the University of Miami soccer team won its seas ...

The Hurricanes practiced in the Carol Soffer Indoor Practice Facility for the first time ever on Fri ...

Malik Rosier, Travis Homer and Ahmmon Richards are key returning playmakers, but they are just the b ...