The Hurricane sits down with Megan Bradley

The Hurricane’s Chris Hamilton sat down with UM tennis player Megan Bradley. Bradley, a senior, is currently ranked No. 2 in the Intercollegiate Tennis Association poll.

The Hurricane: What was it like when you won the Indoor Championship last semester?

Megan Bradley: It was a great feeling. Just to know that I won a National Championship is pretty amazing.

TH: Was there ever a time when you thought about quitting tennis?

MB: Oh, yeah. Especially when I was little.

TH: Have you ever considered starting your own fashion line like Venus and Serena [Williams]?

MB: I don’t think so. I can’t even get my own clothes to match, let alone subject other people to wear it.

TH: You went to school, UCLA and now Miami. Which city has the better nightlife?

MB: I would have to say L.A. Sunset Strip is much more accessible. South Beach is nice, but not quite the same.

TH: Do you think tennis has a steroid problem?

MB: No, although when I see Serena I tend to think so. You don’t need to be really big and strong in tennis. Endurance is much more important.

TH: What would happen if the best pro women’s players played the worst men’s pro player?

MB: The man would win. They serve a lot faster and the game is quicker.

TH: How fast do you serve?

MB: I’m not really sure. Probably in the 110 to 115 m.p.h. range.

TH: Which (tennis) balls do you prefer?

MB: Wilson. They’re a lot heavier.

TH: Do tennis shirts have a secret compartment to store extra balls or where do they come from?

MB: [Laughs] Everyone asks that. We have spandex under our skirts, and we usually just stick them up there. It’s not like the balls appear like magic or anything.

TH: Can you spell Kournikova?

MB: K-O-U-R-N-I-K-O-V-A

TH: Which is a better feeling, serving an ace or acing a test?

MB: Serving an ace because you’re doing it to someone else. You can’t really go up to a teacher and be like, “Hey! I aced your test.”

TH: What is the best tennis movie of all time?

MB: Umm…I can’t really think of any. Do they even make any tennis movies?

TH: Have you ever been in a match you knew you had no chance of winning?

MB: No.

TH: Never?

MB: Well, if I was playing Serena I would have some dose of reality.

TH: Would you rather play a three-set marathon or breeze past your opponent?

MB: Breeze past my opponent. When you play 25 matches a season, you just want to get off the court as fast as possible.

TH: What’s the deal with the noises women make when they hit the ball?

MB: [Laughs] It’s an exhale. When you swing back and hit the ball, you kind of make a grunting noise.

TH: Do you make any noises?

MB: Yeah, I do. I don’t know if some girls practice it, but some can get pretty loud.

TH: What’s one good reason to watch women’s tennis?

MB: We wear short skirts. At least that’s what I tell the boys.

Chris Hamilton can be reached at c.hamilton2@umiami.edu.

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team will begin her fall campaign Thursday a ...

Through three games, Miami is No. 1 in the country in tackles for loss and the entire Hurricanes def ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to return to Cobb Stadium, where it will host No. 12 Duke ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...