LETTER TO THE EDITOR

RE: “Luxurious parties vs. end to world hunger,” 1/25

I am writing in response to the editorial in the Tuesday, Jan. 25 issue of The Hurricane. The entire article is disgusting. What use is it to anyone to read about how Trump or the Bushes could have done something else with the money that was spent on their wedding/inauguration? You could have given us information on how to help world hunger, or even done something about it yourself, yet you chose to do nothing but tear down what other people built for themselves. Donald Trump didn’t ask you, or any of those millions of starving children, for advice on how to make one cent of his fortune. What in the world makes you think that your opinion on what he should do with it now is anything but an exercise in futility?

Selfishness and greed are what keep people from being stuck in the situation they are in and in the end make you write that editorial. Without any action behind that expression of perceived self-worth, everyone would be left on the side asking for a handout. Both Bush and Trump believed they deserved what they got and made sure they got it in the end. If you believe providing for oneself is less noble than providing for others, that is your own choice-and no doubt a common one. What it definitely will never be less noble than is what you only seem capable of, and that is destroying others out of envy.

Why don’t you do a charity drive, or donate, or give free advertisement space for tsunami aid relief or any of the many world hunger-combating agencies? Wouldn’t that be actually productive? What benefit to anyone, outside of fueling spite, does criticizing the way people choose to spend their own possessions? Obviously there are people everywhere that can be judged as depraved in all walks of life, but please stop wasting energy pointing fingers and do something about what you see wrong in the world

Michael Lorenzo

Student

Fredrick Eaford was quick to make it clear the Miami Hurricanes were his dream team to commit to. Af ...

Linebacker might be the most important position for the Miami Hurricanes to recruit in the Class of ...

Issiah Walker Jr. won’t be at Paradise Camp on Saturday. Instead of attending the Miami Hurricanes’ ...

June is a huge recruiting month for the Miami Hurricanes. It concludes with Paradise Camp on June 22 ...

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Evo Morales, first elected president of Bolivia in 2005, and could win an unprecedented fourth term ...

The University of Miami Black Alumni Society is hosting a number of Juneteenth events around the cou ...

The University of Miami Rosenstiel School’s Rescue a Reef program teams up with the NFL and others t ...

The Frost Chopin Festival and Academy at the University of Miami provides unparalleled experiences f ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

The Miami women's basketball team will face Indiana at the Watsco Center in the 2019 Big Ten/AC ...

The University of Miami volleyball program is set to host the Hurricane Invitational and nine ACC ho ...

Games will be contested July 3-14 in Naples, Italy. ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...