Why UM should be concerned about Iran

It’s a typical weekday. Odds are you slept through your alarm (despite its super-loud setting), half-walked, half-ran to your early-morning class and just finished the last of your reading right before your professor walked into the room. The last thing you’re worrying about is whether or not Iran will have the capability to produce nuclear weapons. Heck, you’re not even sure where Iran is.

Going to school in sunny Miami makes it easy to forget that there is a real world out there. In fact, that is probably what made half the students want to apply. Nevertheless, Iran’s ability towards nuclear proliferation remains a significant threat to the security to the United States-a fact overshadowed by media coverage over whether or not Samuel Alito’s wife was crying during the Senate Judiciary hearings. According to the Dec. 2, 2005, weekly memo produced by the American Israel Public Affairs committee, Iran could have nuclear weapons on disposal within three to five years. Some say more. Some say less.

Why is this a problem? Everyone and their mother now has or claim to have nuclear weapons. In order to prevent the spread of nuclear weapons, Iran became a signatory of the 1968 Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty. The NPT calls for all countries that did not have nuclear technology to swear not to obtain nuclear weapons as well as to declare all nuclear activities to the United Nations. However, in 2002, Iran was caught with its hands in the cookie jar when its top-secret nuclear program was leaked out. This surprised most of the international community by its sophistication and its proximity towards reaching nuclear capability. Yes, folks. Iran broke the law.

But it’s more than just breaking the treaty. Unlike Iraq where its nuclear capability was questioned among the international community, both the United States and the European Union remain steadfast in their assurance that allowing what the State Department calls “the world’s ‘most active state sponsor of terrorism” is a bad thing. Iranian President Ahmadinejad (try saying that five times fast) has been spreading vicious remarks towards the United States and Israel including a statement made on Oct. 26 at the World Without Zionism conference saying, “They say its not possible to have a world without the United States and Zionism. But you know this is a possible goal and slogan.”

Despite its claims that their nuclear program was in pursuit for energy resources, both the United States and the European Union have halted negotiations with Iran until it has sworn to abandon its attempts at uranium enrichment, one of the key processes needed to produce a nuclear weapon. Iran has remained defiant on this point. With an unpopular war in Iraq, the only viable solution to stop or slow down Iran’s nuclear capability is to bring Iran to the United Nations Security Council. Only the Security Council has the power to impose economic sanctions against Iran in an effort to force the country into isolation. Without the ability to export its resources (i.e. oil), Iran would be paralyzed.

Nonetheless, the United States would only be too happy if this were the end to its problems. Even if Iran is brought to the Security Council, two of its permanent members are our good ol’ friends: China and Russia. These countries have the ability to veto any regulation the UN might try and impose on Iran. And, due to the fact that both countries rely heavily on Iranian oil in order to power their immense populations, they are likely to use it.

So what are the solutions? Plan A still calls for diplomatic negotiations to try and bring Iran to halt its nuclear program on its own. An unpopular solution is to continue to rid the world’s dependence on petroleum through alternative energy resources such as solar or hydroelectric power. In the meantime, the more active about the subject we can be, the faster we will be able to influence our country to focus on our problem in regards to our nation’s security.

Shelley Rood is a freshman majoring in journalism and Judaic studies. She can be contacted at m.rood@umiami.edu.

Is there an apt comparison for this year’s American League Championship series between the Boston Re ...

If the University of Miami defense isn’t boiling with frustration by now, it must be simmering in an ...

Miami Hurricanes redshirt senior Gerald Willis was the lone UM football player chosen for the Associ ...

A new batch of evidence presented Monday at the college basketball trial in New York seems to furthe ...

University of Miami coach Mark Richt apparently is a fan of President Teddy Roosevelt’s — or at leas ...

A grant from the German government will support a series of roundtable and networking sessions on U. ...

As BioNIUM’s new director, the chair of the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology plans t ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that globalization and technolo ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

Dr. Ralph Sacco, a top neurologist and researcher at the University of Miami Miller School of Medici ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...