Up ’til Dawn letter-writing party makes a big splash

Music and the scent of barbequed food caught the attention of those flowing to and from classes through the Breezeway on Wednesday. Students gathered on the UC Patio around decorative tables and bright signs to participate in Up ’til Dawn’s annual fundraising event, known as the “All Team Meeting.”

Up ’til Dawn is a nationwide college-based fundraising campaign benefiting St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital in Memphis, Tenn. As the largest pediatric cancer research facility in the world, it does not ask a patient to pay more than their insurance covers. Those without insurance are not required to pay at all. St. Jude accommodates the patient and one parent with transportation, housing and food for treatments and yearly visits. Opportunities for children in need of the often expensive treatments are made possible as a result of generous donations to the hospital from organizations such as UM’s Up ’til Dawn.

With several different events scheduled throughout the year, the “All Team Meeting” letter-writing party is one of the organization’s largest fundraising efforts. Students formed teams during the first semester and competed against one another on Wednesday to write as many letters as they could, requesting donations to St. Jude’s.

While teams competed for prizes, most seemed motivated by a more important goal and ultimate prize: money for the hospital.

“It’s for such a good cause,” Ramiro Munoz, junior, said. “I remember when it [Up ’til Dawn] started, and [I’ve watched] the momentum that built up.”

Student support for the philanthropic group has continued to build.

Now a widely recognized organization on campus, Up ’til Dawn was able, for the first time, to adhere to the national campaign model for this event.

In previous years, smaller letter-writing parties took place, but were catered to specific organizations. This left out those who wished to participate, but were not members of a certain group. This year’s switch to a large “All Team Meeting” for all groups proved to be more efficient and successful in raising funds. Another significant change this year was requesting sponsorship earlier and providing a packet with donor levels.

Students such as Rachel Ewy, freshman, planned to write 50 letters to family and friends. Others popped in, without previous knowledge about the event, and began writing just a few letters here and there. This year, students were given the option of finishing letters at home and turning them in on Friday, which made participation a bit more flexible and accommodating.

“We have a goal of raising $30,000 this year,” Mariano Rego, assistant director of Up ’til Dawn, said. “Last year we raised $16,000, so we hope to almost double that amount by vamping up our strategy.”

So far, Up ’til Dawn has raised about $25,000, without any letters but through events and sponsorship pledges.

While many students on campus were unaware of the event, some stopped in to donate money, grab a burger, and enjoy the music and beautiful weather, while at the same time, learning about one of the largest charity organizations on campus.

Taylor Pashley can be contacted at t.pashley@umiami.edu.

Pro Football Focus unveiled where Power 5 programs rank in tackles for a loss or no gain against the ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

Braylen Ingraham’s final college visit before decision day took him just about as far from home as p ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

The Miami women's tennis team turned in a strong showing Saturday at the ITA Southeast Regional ...

On the first day of Main Draw action at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Presented by Oracle ...

The University of Miami soccer team closes out action in the Tar Heel state with a match against thi ...

The Miami women's tennis team opened play Friday at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Pr ...

The Miami Hurricanes fell in their tri-meet with Georgia Tech and Notre Dame Saturday afternoon, dro ...