Up ’til Dawn letter-writing party makes a big splash

Music and the scent of barbequed food caught the attention of those flowing to and from classes through the Breezeway on Wednesday. Students gathered on the UC Patio around decorative tables and bright signs to participate in Up ’til Dawn’s annual fundraising event, known as the “All Team Meeting.”

Up ’til Dawn is a nationwide college-based fundraising campaign benefiting St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital in Memphis, Tenn. As the largest pediatric cancer research facility in the world, it does not ask a patient to pay more than their insurance covers. Those without insurance are not required to pay at all. St. Jude accommodates the patient and one parent with transportation, housing and food for treatments and yearly visits. Opportunities for children in need of the often expensive treatments are made possible as a result of generous donations to the hospital from organizations such as UM’s Up ’til Dawn.

With several different events scheduled throughout the year, the “All Team Meeting” letter-writing party is one of the organization’s largest fundraising efforts. Students formed teams during the first semester and competed against one another on Wednesday to write as many letters as they could, requesting donations to St. Jude’s.

While teams competed for prizes, most seemed motivated by a more important goal and ultimate prize: money for the hospital.

“It’s for such a good cause,” Ramiro Munoz, junior, said. “I remember when it [Up ’til Dawn] started, and [I’ve watched] the momentum that built up.”

Student support for the philanthropic group has continued to build.

Now a widely recognized organization on campus, Up ’til Dawn was able, for the first time, to adhere to the national campaign model for this event.

In previous years, smaller letter-writing parties took place, but were catered to specific organizations. This left out those who wished to participate, but were not members of a certain group. This year’s switch to a large “All Team Meeting” for all groups proved to be more efficient and successful in raising funds. Another significant change this year was requesting sponsorship earlier and providing a packet with donor levels.

Students such as Rachel Ewy, freshman, planned to write 50 letters to family and friends. Others popped in, without previous knowledge about the event, and began writing just a few letters here and there. This year, students were given the option of finishing letters at home and turning them in on Friday, which made participation a bit more flexible and accommodating.

“We have a goal of raising $30,000 this year,” Mariano Rego, assistant director of Up ’til Dawn, said. “Last year we raised $16,000, so we hope to almost double that amount by vamping up our strategy.”

So far, Up ’til Dawn has raised about $25,000, without any letters but through events and sponsorship pledges.

While many students on campus were unaware of the event, some stopped in to donate money, grab a burger, and enjoy the music and beautiful weather, while at the same time, learning about one of the largest charity organizations on campus.

Taylor Pashley can be contacted at t.pashley@umiami.edu.

UM was very fortunate that junior linebackers Shaquille Quarterman, Mike Pinckney and Zach McCloud a ...

Hard Rock Stadium will be filled with Miami fans — and probably only Miami fans — when the two colle ...

They made school history on Sunday with a nationally-televised road upset of No. 2 Louisville, and o ...

Mark Walton, the former University of Miami star football player and current Cincinnati Bengal, was ...

Don Chaney Jr. says his recruitment is over and the way he talks about the Miami Hurricanes, it’s ea ...

Researcher Rebecca Bulotsky Shearer is leading a study aimed at increasing the number of kids who ar ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team stormed back from a 14-point deficit to pick up the bi ...

Hours after garnering espnW National Player of the Week distinction, Emese Hof of the Miami women ...

For the second straight Monday, a member of the Miami women's basketball team has earned a nati ...

Brian Van Belle struck out five over six shutout innings to help the Canes sweep Rutgers on opening ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami golf team moved up two spots on Monday's leaderboard at t ...