Track teams on road this weekend

The men’s and women’s track and field teams will hit the road this weekend for their second meet of the season. The women are heading to Happy Valley for the Penn State National Invite and the men are off to North Carolina for the North Carolina Invite.

The women look to continue to make their mark as one of the nation’s best at Penn State on Friday and Saturday. The team is lead by two seniors, 10-time All-American Dominique Darden and the ‘Canes’ one-mile record holder Melanie Schultz.

“These are two established runners that are working hard toward making the national team once their time here is done,” Head Coach Amy Deem said.

The ‘Canes also feature talented freshmen on the roster like Pavi’Elle James.

“I still think it’s too early to tell which [freshman runners]are going to excel,” Deem said. “They are still adjusting and it’s only the second meet of the season. I expect us too run well; it’s a fast track and I’m anticipating low numbers.”

The men’s team faces a familiar situation in North Carolina on Friday and Saturday. For the first time this season, the Hurricanes are putting out a full squad of 15 runners. Included in this bunch is Tim Harris, who is one of the few who participated in last week’s meet; where he clocked the day’s best 800-meter run at 1:50.67.

“He’s still young [sophomore]but very talented,” said Head Coach Mike Ward. “Coming out of high school he was one of the best and will be interesting to see what he can do in the future.”

The men suffered a significant loss this off-season when sprint runner Terrell Walden tore his ACL.

“As of now we don’t have anyone that can fill his place.” said Ward.

It will be interesting to see some new faces running this year, like football stars Lance Leggett, Khalil Jones, Derron Thomas and Andrew Johnson. Johnson is the only one of the group that has already run this year.

“UNC doesn’t really have a fast track,” Ward said, “but it will be interesting to see what our runners can do and I expect us to be competitive with the other ACC teams.”

Richard Lavi

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ secondary continues to get stronger. Miami, which already holds a pair of comm ...

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

A fabulous team of staff and volunteers labors long and hard, primed with school spirit, behind the ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

The global exploration, media, and education company will kick off a national campaign at UM to offe ...

University of Miami head coach Gino DiMare released the Hurricanes' 2019 baseball schedule Thur ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will take part in the ITA Southeast Regional Champion ...

The University of Miami women's swimming & diving team returns to competition this weekend, ...

The University of Miami volleyball team is set to host Clemson and Georgia Tech in the first of four ...

Four members of the Miami women's tennis team will take part in the ITA Southeast Regional Cham ...