Stop calling players ‘student-athletes’

Most students-real students, that is-know that football players exist on a plane far above everyone else on campus. Some glaring examples: These celebrities have the luxury of pristine, state-of-the-art gyms that normal students can’t touch. Some live in dorms resembling high-end apartments. And perhaps most importantly, they are given a degree of leniency and afforded protections that normal students will never have. Thus, when Virginia Tech finally kicked Marcus Vick off the team for his indiscretions, it came as a bit of a surprise.

Before he stomped on the leg of a Louisville player during a nationally televised bowl game, Vick had been in hot water with Virginia Tech-not to mention police-at least nine times prior. (The incidents were described in a column last Tuesday, so I won’t get into specifics except to reiterate the fact that they were all serious offenses-the ones we know about, anyway.) But of all those incidents, it was the image of Vick digging his cleats into the leg of Elvis Dumervil as he lay strewn on the ground that finally did him in. Call me crazy, but I would submit to you that Vick’s expulsion (from the football team, but not the university, mind you) has more to do with the fact that it was broadcast for millions to see rather than any legitimate integrity Virginia Tech may have.

How many universities are as forgiving to average students as they are with their football players? The students who can’t run 4.4 seconds 40-yard dashes?

The University of Miami is unfortunately no different than other football schools when it comes down to meaningful decisions. Willie Williams (our prized linebacker recruit) was arrested no less than 10 times before being admitted to the University, but since he just so happens to be able to knock the stuffing out of people on the football field, it’s overlooked. How many students not affiliated with any sport are afforded this kind of treatment? Here’s a hint: Take the amount of points the Hurricanes scored against LSU in the Peach Bowl and subtract three. Just one arrest on the record of a non-athlete is enough to bar him from entering UM. The real kicker is that Williams was actually charged by Gainesville police with a felony for discharging fire extinguishers, and for misdemeanor battery for hugging a woman without her consent, after signing with Miami.

It’s unbelievable what we now tolerate as acceptable behavior simply because certain individuals have physical talents that most don’t. Their abilities on the football field shouldn’t insulate them from appropriate treatment and punishment. Bad behavior is bad behavior, and should be treated as such.

In this day and age, it appears that college football players can engage in the most nefarious of activity and almost always get away with it. Just so long as they aren’t caught on camera stomping someone’s leg.

Moises Jacobs is a senior majoring in journalism and English. He can be contacted at m.jacobs3@umiami.edu.

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

Mark Richt is sticking with the veteran. The Miami Hurricanes coach announced during the weekly Atla ...

Is there an apt comparison for this year’s American League Championship series between the Boston Re ...

If the University of Miami defense isn’t boiling with frustration by now, it must be simmering in an ...

Miami Hurricanes redshirt senior Gerald Willis was the lone UM football player chosen for the Associ ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

A grant from the German government will support a series of roundtable and networking sessions on U. ...

As BioNIUM’s new director, the chair of the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology plans t ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that globalization and technolo ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

For the second straight year, all of the Miami women's basketball teams will be televised and f ...

The University of Miami soccer team heads to the Tar Heel state for a pair of road matches beginning ...

Get to Know U is a series that introduces the newest members of the Miami Hurricanes track and field ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...