Hurricanes struggle in Virginia

Coming off a tough home loss to No. 18 Boston College, Miami looked like it still had that game on its minds as the Hurricanes dropped an important game at Virginia 71-51 on Tuesday.

The Hurricanes were stone cold shooting the ball, going just 19-for-60 from the field. Leading scorers Guillermo Diaz and Robert Hite could never get it going, combining to shoot just 5-for-27 from the field.

Miami got off to a great start, taking an early 17-10 lead after converting on six of its first 12 shots from the field, including Anthony Harris hitting his first three shots. The Hurricanes struggled mightily from that point on, as the offense couldn’t get anything going.

Harris led the Hurricanes with 13 points, while Diaz and Hite each scored 10. Although the final score shows Miami lost by 20, it was much closer than that throughout.

Trailing 32-26 at halftime, Hite nailed a tough three-pointer to open the second half, cutting the lead in half. But that would be as close as Miami would get the rest of the way.

Every time the Hurricanes made any sort of run, Virginia’s Sean Singletary would answer, putting up a game high 29 points. Miami’s zone defense, which had been first in the ACC in points allowed per game, looked soft.

Coach Frank Haith told the Miami Herald that he wasn’t the least pleased with the performance.

“We can’t come out here and play like we played tonight. That’s embarrassing. Disappointing,” Haith said. “And we’re going to change that. We may not win another game, but we won’t have that kind of effort again.”

Miami returns to the court on Sunday with another ACC road test, this time at Florida State, who picked up a big road win at Wake Forest on Tuesday night. The game will be shown locally on UPN.

Douglas C. Kroll can be contacted at d.kroll@umiami.edu.

UM was very fortunate that junior linebackers Shaquille Quarterman, Mike Pinckney and Zach McCloud a ...

Hard Rock Stadium will be filled with Miami fans — and probably only Miami fans — when the two colle ...

They made school history on Sunday with a nationally-televised road upset of No. 2 Louisville, and o ...

Mark Walton, the former University of Miami star football player and current Cincinnati Bengal, was ...

Don Chaney Jr. says his recruitment is over and the way he talks about the Miami Hurricanes, it’s ea ...

Researcher Rebecca Bulotsky Shearer is leading a study aimed at increasing the number of kids who ar ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team stormed back from a 14-point deficit to pick up the bi ...

Hours after garnering espnW National Player of the Week distinction, Emese Hof of the Miami women ...

For the second straight Monday, a member of the Miami women's basketball team has earned a nati ...

Brian Van Belle struck out five over six shutout innings to help the Canes sweep Rutgers on opening ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami golf team moved up two spots on Monday's leaderboard at t ...