ELsewhere – Genetic technology offers insight into diseases

(U-WIRE) DURHAM, N.C.-A physician is faced with the tough decision of whether or not to place a catheter in an elderly patient with a partially clogged artery.

The doctor takes into account his professional experience, the patient’s medical history and a limited range of physiological measures. Only time will tell whether the physician’s choice is a wise one.

Soon, however, a physician may be able to better calculate a patient’s likelihood of successful recovery and a range of other considerations even before a procedure by using pioneering technology that analyzes genetic predictors.

Later this year, Duke University researchers will begin using the new Affymetrix GeneChip High-Throughput System-which includes small gene chips containing the entire human genome-to identify and classify genetic information associated with cardiovascular disease and cancer in clinical trials of unprecedented size.

Under Affymetrix’s five-year collaboration with the Institute for Genome Sciences and Policy, the company will fund Duke’s researchers’ work to develop new applications for translational research projects.

Microarrays-gene chips that identify the specific gene expression in a cell -have already shown major promise as predictors of the success of various cancer therapies.

The technology allows testing to occur almost 100 times faster than with existing microtechnology procedures.

New clinical capabilities, however, not only raise hopes but also pose potential challenges for physicians.

Friday was strange for Gino DiMare. It wasn’t because his whole family went out to the mound at Alex ...

One thing was obvious to Wayne Younger the first time he got his hands on Ladarius Tennison: The ath ...

Though it’s early, UM already has assembled an outstanding nine-member 2020 recruiting class, a grou ...

Three days before they open their season against the Rutgers Scarlet Knights, the Miami Hurricanes h ...

The first half of Wednesday night’s game was as lousy as the weather outside the Watsco Center, as t ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The University of Miami baseball team opened the Gino DiMare era with a record-setting victory over ...

The Canes open the 75th season in program history and first under the direction of head coach Gino D ...

Game time is 6 p.m. in Chestnut Hill, Mass. ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team will play its second top-five foe in a span of three g ...

The University of Miami golf team heads to the Big Easy to open competition Sunday at the 2019 Allst ...