ELsewhere – Genetic technology offers insight into diseases

(U-WIRE) DURHAM, N.C.-A physician is faced with the tough decision of whether or not to place a catheter in an elderly patient with a partially clogged artery.

The doctor takes into account his professional experience, the patient’s medical history and a limited range of physiological measures. Only time will tell whether the physician’s choice is a wise one.

Soon, however, a physician may be able to better calculate a patient’s likelihood of successful recovery and a range of other considerations even before a procedure by using pioneering technology that analyzes genetic predictors.

Later this year, Duke University researchers will begin using the new Affymetrix GeneChip High-Throughput System-which includes small gene chips containing the entire human genome-to identify and classify genetic information associated with cardiovascular disease and cancer in clinical trials of unprecedented size.

Under Affymetrix’s five-year collaboration with the Institute for Genome Sciences and Policy, the company will fund Duke’s researchers’ work to develop new applications for translational research projects.

Microarrays-gene chips that identify the specific gene expression in a cell -have already shown major promise as predictors of the success of various cancer therapies.

The technology allows testing to occur almost 100 times faster than with existing microtechnology procedures.

New clinical capabilities, however, not only raise hopes but also pose potential challenges for physicians.

University of Miami coach Mark Richt apparently is a fan of President Teddy Roosevelt’s — or at leas ...

If there was one freshman the Miami Hurricanes knew would have to help entering the season, Brevin J ...

Not only has Gerald Willis been one of the best stories of the Miami Hurricanes’ season, he has also ...

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that global pressures are makin ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

Dr. Ralph Sacco, a top neurologist and researcher at the University of Miami Miller School of Medici ...

U.S. Congresswoman and Chairman Emerita of the House Committee on Foreign Affairs Ileana Ros-Lehtine ...

Nearly 400 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service da ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...