“Et tu, Bushus?”

Well, America, you got what you wanted: another four years of Bush in the White House. I hope you’re happy-I really do hope you’re happy, as you’re the only ones who can possibly be happy with his victory .

However, I’m not happy, and most of the rest of the world isn’t either, because if the previous four years are any indication, the next four will be downright catastrophic-and I bet the red states won’t even be aware of it.

America has become the modern Rome, and although many people (particularly in the red states) might view this as a good thing, they fail to remember the things that made the Roman Empire fall. They are frighteningly applicable to America in this day and age.

For instance, we feel the need to “spread democracy” to the Middle East, which we see as inferior because it just happens to worship a different deity. Just like the Romans felt the need to spread the ideals of “civilization” to the barbarian tribes in Germania and Britain, and of course the Judean insurgents-just look how that turned out.

And don’t forget that Rome worked quite well as a representative democracy-which soon degenerated into a totalitarian state. People came to resent this, which gave an opening for barbarian tribes to completely sack Rome several times

The Roman Empire also possessed a society just as functional and complex as ours (hell, they had barber shops and public restrooms). Most importantly, they thought they were invincible, which made them overstretch their capabilities. This put a strain on the empire, leading to their complete collapse as an organized society. Western civilization would take centuries to recover.

See any similarities between Rome and the Bush administration? They both claimed to be spreading “democracy/civilization,” deviated from the system of government they’re supposed to follow, and were attacked by a certain enemy (Hannibal/Bin Laden) which they’ve held in much contempt (Hannibal/Saddam Hussein) who they thought would never be able to touch them (Hannibal/Hussein/Bin Laden/).

The only difference is that the public actually elected a leader that will lead them to certain doom, despite historical warnings to act to the contrary. All I can say to the American people is that we dangerously mirror Rome in it final days, and once we overstretch ourselves, then, well, let’s just say the Dark Ages weren’t a lot of fun.

Jay Rooney can be contacted at j.rooney@umiami.edu.

It sure sounds like redshirt freshman N’Kosi Perry is going to get his first career start at 8 Thurs ...

If he hasn’t made it already, Miami Hurricanes coach Mark Richt has a defining decision to ponder in ...

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

The N’Kosi Perry era is here. Whether it’s here to stay is yet to be seen. The fans got what they wa ...

A year after UPup’s founding father met his match, the service club is realizing its goal of becomin ...

The Miami Hurricanes were one of the biggest risers in both major polls released Sunday, jumping to ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned one of the most prestigious coll ...

The University of Miami volleyball program defeated Duke, 3-1, winning its fourth straight match and ...

N'Kosi Perry and a dominant Miami defense led the Hurricanes to a 31-17 victory over the Panthe ...

The season-opening, three-day Miami Fall Invite wrapped up Sunday at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center a ...