While you were away

By Marcus Washington

Serena Williams Unleashes Her New Fashion Designs with Aneres-12.15.04

While most know Serena Williams for her complete domination on the tennis court, it’s time to recognize Serena as a fashion designer, as she launched her new clothing line Aneres, which is Serena’s name spelled backwards, at the Forge. The line consisted of dainty formal dresses and everyday wear in color choices of fuchsia, teal and purple, that will make women feel sexy. To show support, even sister Venus decided to walk the runway. Except for the cord that fell from the ceiling early on in the show, which became a big nuisance, the event was a great success. Serena, reluctant to walk the stage, received a standing ovation once the show was over.

Trick Daddy’s ‘Thug Holiday’ Toy Drive-12.21.04

Four days before Christmas, Trick Daddy served as Gould’s Park’s Santa with Pitbull serving as “Santa’s” guest of honor. The event was a day of fun for the parents and kids of the community as free food and entertainment was provided for all those that came out. With the help of various sponsors, Trick accumulated toys for all ages. Each kid who entered received a toy and left with a smile.

Paris Hilton Rings in the New Year Vegas Style-12.31.04

The days leading up to the new year made Miami seem like the new Hollywood. Everyone from the music and film industry was in town at various parties to bring in the new year: P. Diddy, Nicole Richie, Ludacris, Lindsay Lohan and others, but if you ask Paris Hilton, her “Vegas Baby, Vegas” New Year’s Eve party at the Shelbourne was probably the “hottest” place to be on the beach…if not, probably the most expensive. Ticket prices ranged from $175 to $5,000, but the packed crowed showed that money was not an issue, especially if it was to see Hilton.

Promising R&B newcomer Ryan Leslie started the party off right with a two-song set that included his first single, “The Way You Move Girl.” Hilton followed shortly after, dancing to the beat inside of her head as everyone had their cameras ready to capture each move. The countdown was made possible by television monitors that showed the ball dropping in New York, but after it was already 2005, Hilton started her own countdown…guests got to ring in the new year twice. Other guests included Craig David, Steve-O from Jackass, Nicky Hilton and the Olsen twins.

Ciara Crunks Club Eden-1.1.05

To bring in the new year right, the first lady of “Crunk & B,” Ciara, showed to a packed audience why she is the one of the hottest chicks in the game. Even celebrities such as George Clinton of the P-Funk All-Stars, Uncle Luke and Missy Elliott were in attedance. Ciara made her way to the stage around 2 a.m., but that didn’t stop the singer from dancing, singing and entertaining the hell out of those who paid to see her. Her five-song set list included her number one single, “Goodies,” and concluded with a surprise appearance by Ms. Elliott with “1, 2 Step.”

Marcus Washington can be contacted at m.washington2@umiami.edu.

It wasn’t long ago when the Miami Hurricanes’ Class of 2020 included the top three rising senior pro ...

Six new Hurricanes football players arrived on campus and began classes Monday, a group including a ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference Baseball Championship schedule is set. The No. 4 seed Miami Hurricanes ...

The first regular season of Gino DiMare’s head-coaching era ended Saturday at Mark Light Field. But ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ hopes for hosting an NCAA regional were damaged a bit on Friday night by a 12- ...

Imagine simulating diabetes, lung cancer, or heart disease on a device no larger than a credit card. ...

Alabama’s new abortion law puts the issue of women’s rights in the spotlight for the upcoming 2020 e ...

The University of Miami is shaping the future of education by using innovative approaches that drive ...

Six short films created by University of Miami film students will be screened in Los Angeles this we ...

Researchers from 16 Latin American and Caribbean countries, hosted by the Institute for the Advanced ...

Four Miami Hurricanes were among those recognized by the Atlantic Coast Conference Monday for their ...

Top-seeded Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team started her NCAA Singles Cha ...

The Barcelona, Spain, native caps his sophomore campaign with a team-high 21 singles wins. ...

The University of Miami track and field program garnered 20 entries in the 2019 NCAA East Preliminar ...

Miami's schedule features seven matches against teams that reached the NCAA Championship. ...