While you were away

By Marcus Washington

Serena Williams Unleashes Her New Fashion Designs with Aneres-12.15.04

While most know Serena Williams for her complete domination on the tennis court, it’s time to recognize Serena as a fashion designer, as she launched her new clothing line Aneres, which is Serena’s name spelled backwards, at the Forge. The line consisted of dainty formal dresses and everyday wear in color choices of fuchsia, teal and purple, that will make women feel sexy. To show support, even sister Venus decided to walk the runway. Except for the cord that fell from the ceiling early on in the show, which became a big nuisance, the event was a great success. Serena, reluctant to walk the stage, received a standing ovation once the show was over.

Trick Daddy’s ‘Thug Holiday’ Toy Drive-12.21.04

Four days before Christmas, Trick Daddy served as Gould’s Park’s Santa with Pitbull serving as “Santa’s” guest of honor. The event was a day of fun for the parents and kids of the community as free food and entertainment was provided for all those that came out. With the help of various sponsors, Trick accumulated toys for all ages. Each kid who entered received a toy and left with a smile.

Paris Hilton Rings in the New Year Vegas Style-12.31.04

The days leading up to the new year made Miami seem like the new Hollywood. Everyone from the music and film industry was in town at various parties to bring in the new year: P. Diddy, Nicole Richie, Ludacris, Lindsay Lohan and others, but if you ask Paris Hilton, her “Vegas Baby, Vegas” New Year’s Eve party at the Shelbourne was probably the “hottest” place to be on the beach…if not, probably the most expensive. Ticket prices ranged from $175 to $5,000, but the packed crowed showed that money was not an issue, especially if it was to see Hilton.

Promising R&B newcomer Ryan Leslie started the party off right with a two-song set that included his first single, “The Way You Move Girl.” Hilton followed shortly after, dancing to the beat inside of her head as everyone had their cameras ready to capture each move. The countdown was made possible by television monitors that showed the ball dropping in New York, but after it was already 2005, Hilton started her own countdown…guests got to ring in the new year twice. Other guests included Craig David, Steve-O from Jackass, Nicky Hilton and the Olsen twins.

Ciara Crunks Club Eden-1.1.05

To bring in the new year right, the first lady of “Crunk & B,” Ciara, showed to a packed audience why she is the one of the hottest chicks in the game. Even celebrities such as George Clinton of the P-Funk All-Stars, Uncle Luke and Missy Elliott were in attedance. Ciara made her way to the stage around 2 a.m., but that didn’t stop the singer from dancing, singing and entertaining the hell out of those who paid to see her. Her five-song set list included her number one single, “Goodies,” and concluded with a surprise appearance by Ms. Elliott with “1, 2 Step.”

Marcus Washington can be contacted at m.washington2@umiami.edu.

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

New technology could help schools identify shooters and other intruders before they enter the door. ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...