When it comes, go

By Leigha Taber

Last summer began with 103.5 The Beat and the UM Convocation Center teaming up for The Beat Down, an incredible show featuring Pitbull, T.O.K., Jadakiss, Ja Rule, Ashanti, Fat Joe, the Ying Yang Twins, Trick Daddy and Kanye West, among others. The lineup was amazing, the show even better. It was hard to believe that they could ever have another show that compared. Then, on Dec. 4, Bakapalooza took place-and it was nearly as good as The Beat Down.

Immediately following a certain game against Virginia Tech, depressed students made there way to Bakapalooza, where they were cheered up with performances by Ludacris, Lil Jon, Lil Flip, Lil Scrappy, Ciara, Pitbull and Jackie-O. There were even sights of Fat Joe and the rest of Terror Squad back stage. The audience was into the music and it showed. Some even came prepared with their pimp cups and, of course, lots of bling.

While both of the shows were amazing, few students bothered to go, even though the tickets were reasonably priced and the Convocation Center is an intimate enough venue, where there really isn’t a bad seat. If you’re not going to buy tickets to these quality shows, then don’t complain about having Winnie the Pooh and Bob the Builder dominating the Convocation Center calendar.

Leigha Taber can be contacted at ltaber@miami.edu.

Is there an apt comparison for this year’s American League Championship series between the Boston Re ...

If the University of Miami defense isn’t boiling with frustration by now, it must be simmering in an ...

Miami Hurricanes redshirt senior Gerald Willis was the lone UM football player chosen for the Associ ...

A new batch of evidence presented Monday at the college basketball trial in New York seems to furthe ...

University of Miami coach Mark Richt apparently is a fan of President Teddy Roosevelt’s — or at leas ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that globalization and technolo ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

Dr. Ralph Sacco, a top neurologist and researcher at the University of Miami Miller School of Medici ...

U.S. Congresswoman and Chairman Emerita of the House Committee on Foreign Affairs Ileana Ros-Lehtine ...

Nearly 400 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service da ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...