‘Canes put up good fight versus No. 3 Duke

By Douglas C. Kroll

The students showed up in full force at the Convocation Center on Wednesday night to support their surging Hurricanes, but Duke’s talent was able to hold off the ‘Canes 92-83. In front of a sold-out crowd, in which 1,000 were students who lined up as early as 3 p.m., the Hurricanes fought to the end against the number three team in the nation.

Miami was led by Guillermo Diaz, who finished with 25 points, while William Frisby added 18. Anthony King and Anthony Harris also finished in double digits. Miami’s leading scorer of the year, Robert Hite, was held scoreless in the first half and finished with six points due to suffocating defense from Duke’s backcourt, which is nearly 14 less than his season average. Hall-of-fame Duke Head Coach Mike Krzyzewski couldn’t compliment the Hurricanes any more than he did after the game.

“We beat an excellent basketball team tonight,” Krzyzewski said. “Miami is not just athletic, but they are really a confident, positive group and very difficult to guard.”

Duke was led by a career night from Shelden Williams who finished with 30 points, including 11-of-12 from the field.

Early in the first half, a Diaz three pointer rimmed in to cut the Duke lead to 16-15. Miami took the lead 17-16 shortly thereafter with a Gary Hamilton tip shot with under 13 minutes to play.

After Miami then tied it at 22 on a Harris three, Duke reeled off a 10-2 run. During that run, Harris connected with Diaz for a thrilling alley-oop that brought the sellout crowd to a deafening standing ovation. Duke guard Daniel Ewing then hit back-to-back three pointers to finish the run and to quiet the crowd. A J.J. Reddick three pointer then gave Duke a nine point lead, its largest of the half. The Blue Devils went into the locker room with a 41-34 lead at the break.

The Blue Devils ended up shooting nearly 61 percent from the field for the game, including 48 percent from behind the three-point arc. The percentage was by far the best they shot all year.

Miami out rebounded Duke 37-30, including 20-6 on the offensive glass. King led the Hurricanes with 10 rebounds.

“We played tough out there tonight,” Miami Head Coach Frank Haith said. “Our kids fought to the end, which is important for us as we continue to build this program.”

Miami came out and cut the Duke lead to 44-40 early on in the second half, but that was as close as the ‘Canes would come as the Devils went on a 12-2 run and took a 56-42 lead.

The Blue Devils would lead by as many as 19 in the half, as Williams proved to be too much for Miami’s interior defense. No matter what zone defense the Hurricanes threw at Duke, the Devils were able to connect from outside, or inside. Miami never gave up down the stretch, cutting the lead to as few as 8 in the final minute, but Duke was able to hit its free throws to clinch the victory.

Although the Hurricanes hung in there with one of the best teams in the nation, they came into the game knowing they could win, not just wanting to hang in there with an elite team. One thing’s for sure: Haith can take home that Coach K. believes in him as a head basketball coach in the ACC.

“Frank looks like a guy who’s been here a while,” Coach K. said. “His team looks like a team who has been coach by him for a while.”

Douglas C. Kroll can be contacted at d.kroll@umiami.edu

At their best, they are UM’s most dynamic players on each side of the ball. But the Ahmmon Richards ...

A day after practicing in the Carol Soffer Football Indoor Practice Facility for the first time in s ...

It appears that at least one LSU receiver won’t be available at the University of Miami football ope ...

After the Miami Hurricanes football team spent part of its practice on Monday in a torrential downpo ...

Nothing like a comic book cover on steroids to get University of Miami and LSU football fans juiced ...

Intergroup Dialogue, soon to be offered as a course, fosters a sense of belonging, an appreciation f ...

Aretha Franklin and her music defined “what is soul” to generations of music lovers. ...

The University of Miami kicked into high gear to welcome thousands of new students and ensure move-i ...

UM President Julio Frenk welcomes first-year and transfer students to UM in signature ’Cane Kickoff ...

Miami Law conducts its inaugural Legal Impact Hack for first-year students. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team won its exhibition match over FIU, 3-0, Saturday at the Knig ...

Coming off a road win in its season opener, the University of Miami soccer team will welcome crossto ...

In head coach Sarah Barnes' debut at the helm, the University of Miami soccer team won its seas ...

The Hurricanes practiced in the Carol Soffer Indoor Practice Facility for the first time ever on Fri ...

Malik Rosier, Travis Homer and Ahmmon Richards are key returning playmakers, but they are just the b ...