News Briefs

The American Red Cross of Greater Miami & The Keys and The Institute for Cuban & Cuban-American Studies at the University of Miami are making plans to organize the Planning for the Humanitarian Impact on South Florida In the Event of a Change in Cuba workshops that will prepare interested local non-profit organizations to provide humanitarian aid if political change occurs in Cuba. Learning that Florida did not have a plan to help the Cubans if there was a change, the American Red Cross and UM worked together to come up with one. During the workshops, attendees will divide into groups discuss various issues including providing help for Cubans arriving in South Florida and addressing the concerns South Florida residents with family members in Cuba may have.

“The Institute is pleased to take part in this planning session and to be part of the solution to this growing problem,” said Jaime Suchlicki, Institute for Cuban and Cuban-American Studies director at the University of Miami. “Together with the Red Cross and other non-profit agencies throughout the country we hope to help the Cuban people and this community be prepared,” he added.

For more information about these workshops, call 305-248-2822 or email ctp.iccas@miami.edu.

(U-WIRE) KINGSTON, R.I. – If you ever wanted to know how to fake an orgasm or win a root-beer-pong tournament, the University of Rhode Island Student Entertainment Committee will provide the answers.

The SEC is declaring the next two weeks “Wintercourse” and sponsoring a series of sex-related events. The events start Tuesday with a presentation by nationally recognized author Jennifer Worick. Worick will discuss her “Worse Case Scenario Survival Handbooks,” which offer advice on how to hook up in a library, survive class when hung over and determine the gender of your date.

“It’s the kind of stuff people want to know but they would never ask,” explained secretary and treasurer of the SEC Speakers’ Committee Amma Marfo.

On Thursday, students can hear some “downright dirty” comedy from “Full House” television star Bob Saget.

“Most people think of Bob Saget from his ‘Full House’ days, where he’s clean cut,” Mohanty said. “What’s special about this show is he’s very dirty and it shows a different side of Bob Saget than people normally see.”

Next week, the SEC will hold a root-beer-pong tournament for those who prefer direct involvement in the action.

“It’s similar to the drinking game beer pong. However, [the SEC version]uses root beer,” said Persico, who refused to comment about the sex-themed prizes for the winning teams.

103.5 The Beat’s Bakapalooza, hosted by the Beat’s Morning Drive show hosts, the Baka Boyz, will feature Ludacris, Lil Jon, Jackie-O, Lil Flip, Ciara and Lil Scrappy will happen tomorrow night at the Convocation Center. Also scheduled to perform are Pitbull, Mr. Vegas, Special Ed and Geto Boys. Tickets are on sale through all Ticket Master outlets, UM Convocation Center Box Office or TheBeatMiami.com with ticket prices starting at $15. For more information visit UMConvocationCenter.com.

Daily protests are taking place in Puerto Rico, calling for the resignation of Gov. Ricardo Roselló. ...

How will the sentencing of “El Chapo” impact the drug trade out of Mexico? Bruce Bagley, a professor ...

By showing how the controversial crime-fighting strategy is unevenly employed in marginalized neighb ...

Hosmay Lopez, of the NOAA Cooperative Institute for Marine and Atmospheric Studies at the University ...

UM alumna Shirley Hoffman Kilkelly was one of the few women engineers who worked on the Apollo 11 mo ...

Junior defensive back Trajan Bandy was among those players named to the 2019 Jim Thorpe Award Presea ...

Seniors Michael Pinckney and Shaquille Quarterman were among those players named to the watch list f ...

Sophomore tight end Brevin Jordan was among the 60 players named to the 2019 John Mackey Award Prese ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team added yet another elite accolade to her ...

Redshirt senior wide receiver K.J. Osborn was among six ACC players named to The Biletnikoff Award W ...