News Briefs

The American Red Cross of Greater Miami & The Keys and The Institute for Cuban & Cuban-American Studies at the University of Miami are making plans to organize the Planning for the Humanitarian Impact on South Florida In the Event of a Change in Cuba workshops that will prepare interested local non-profit organizations to provide humanitarian aid if political change occurs in Cuba. Learning that Florida did not have a plan to help the Cubans if there was a change, the American Red Cross and UM worked together to come up with one. During the workshops, attendees will divide into groups discuss various issues including providing help for Cubans arriving in South Florida and addressing the concerns South Florida residents with family members in Cuba may have.

“The Institute is pleased to take part in this planning session and to be part of the solution to this growing problem,” said Jaime Suchlicki, Institute for Cuban and Cuban-American Studies director at the University of Miami. “Together with the Red Cross and other non-profit agencies throughout the country we hope to help the Cuban people and this community be prepared,” he added.

For more information about these workshops, call 305-248-2822 or email ctp.iccas@miami.edu.

(U-WIRE) KINGSTON, R.I. – If you ever wanted to know how to fake an orgasm or win a root-beer-pong tournament, the University of Rhode Island Student Entertainment Committee will provide the answers.

The SEC is declaring the next two weeks “Wintercourse” and sponsoring a series of sex-related events. The events start Tuesday with a presentation by nationally recognized author Jennifer Worick. Worick will discuss her “Worse Case Scenario Survival Handbooks,” which offer advice on how to hook up in a library, survive class when hung over and determine the gender of your date.

“It’s the kind of stuff people want to know but they would never ask,” explained secretary and treasurer of the SEC Speakers’ Committee Amma Marfo.

On Thursday, students can hear some “downright dirty” comedy from “Full House” television star Bob Saget.

“Most people think of Bob Saget from his ‘Full House’ days, where he’s clean cut,” Mohanty said. “What’s special about this show is he’s very dirty and it shows a different side of Bob Saget than people normally see.”

Next week, the SEC will hold a root-beer-pong tournament for those who prefer direct involvement in the action.

“It’s similar to the drinking game beer pong. However, [the SEC version]uses root beer,” said Persico, who refused to comment about the sex-themed prizes for the winning teams.

103.5 The Beat’s Bakapalooza, hosted by the Beat’s Morning Drive show hosts, the Baka Boyz, will feature Ludacris, Lil Jon, Jackie-O, Lil Flip, Ciara and Lil Scrappy will happen tomorrow night at the Convocation Center. Also scheduled to perform are Pitbull, Mr. Vegas, Special Ed and Geto Boys. Tickets are on sale through all Ticket Master outlets, UM Convocation Center Box Office or TheBeatMiami.com with ticket prices starting at $15. For more information visit UMConvocationCenter.com.

After the Miami Hurricanes football team spent part of its practice on Monday in a torrential downpo ...

Nothing like a comic book cover on steroids to get University of Miami and LSU football fans juiced ...

They are two big bodies with experience, but new to the University of Miami. And the Miami Hurricane ...

Freshman quarterback Jarren Williams, who returned to practice Wednesday after missing most of Tuesd ...

Corey Gaynor is working hard to solidify his spot as backup center to UM senior standout Tyler Gauth ...

Intergroup Dialogue, soon to be offered as a course, fosters a sense of belonging, an appreciation f ...

Aretha Franklin and her music defined “what is soul” to generations of music lovers. ...

The University of Miami kicked into high gear to welcome thousands of new students and ensure move-i ...

UM President Julio Frenk welcomes first-year and transfer students to UM in signature ’Cane Kickoff ...

Miami Law conducts its inaugural Legal Impact Hack for first-year students. ...

In head coach Sarah Barnes' debut at the helm, the University of Miami soccer team won its seas ...

The Hurricanes practiced in the Carol Soffer Indoor Practice Facility for the first time ever on Fri ...

Malik Rosier, Travis Homer and Ahmmon Richards are key returning playmakers, but they are just the b ...

The University of Miami soccer team will travel to Boca Raton, Fla., Friday night as the team kicks ...

The University of Miami's volleyball team returns to the Knight Sports Complex on Saturday at 3 ...