News Briefs

The American Red Cross of Greater Miami & The Keys and The Institute for Cuban & Cuban-American Studies at the University of Miami are making plans to organize the Planning for the Humanitarian Impact on South Florida In the Event of a Change in Cuba workshops that will prepare interested local non-profit organizations to provide humanitarian aid if political change occurs in Cuba. Learning that Florida did not have a plan to help the Cubans if there was a change, the American Red Cross and UM worked together to come up with one. During the workshops, attendees will divide into groups discuss various issues including providing help for Cubans arriving in South Florida and addressing the concerns South Florida residents with family members in Cuba may have.

“The Institute is pleased to take part in this planning session and to be part of the solution to this growing problem,” said Jaime Suchlicki, Institute for Cuban and Cuban-American Studies director at the University of Miami. “Together with the Red Cross and other non-profit agencies throughout the country we hope to help the Cuban people and this community be prepared,” he added.

For more information about these workshops, call 305-248-2822 or email ctp.iccas@miami.edu.

(U-WIRE) KINGSTON, R.I. – If you ever wanted to know how to fake an orgasm or win a root-beer-pong tournament, the University of Rhode Island Student Entertainment Committee will provide the answers.

The SEC is declaring the next two weeks “Wintercourse” and sponsoring a series of sex-related events. The events start Tuesday with a presentation by nationally recognized author Jennifer Worick. Worick will discuss her “Worse Case Scenario Survival Handbooks,” which offer advice on how to hook up in a library, survive class when hung over and determine the gender of your date.

“It’s the kind of stuff people want to know but they would never ask,” explained secretary and treasurer of the SEC Speakers’ Committee Amma Marfo.

On Thursday, students can hear some “downright dirty” comedy from “Full House” television star Bob Saget.

“Most people think of Bob Saget from his ‘Full House’ days, where he’s clean cut,” Mohanty said. “What’s special about this show is he’s very dirty and it shows a different side of Bob Saget than people normally see.”

Next week, the SEC will hold a root-beer-pong tournament for those who prefer direct involvement in the action.

“It’s similar to the drinking game beer pong. However, [the SEC version]uses root beer,” said Persico, who refused to comment about the sex-themed prizes for the winning teams.

103.5 The Beat’s Bakapalooza, hosted by the Beat’s Morning Drive show hosts, the Baka Boyz, will feature Ludacris, Lil Jon, Jackie-O, Lil Flip, Ciara and Lil Scrappy will happen tomorrow night at the Convocation Center. Also scheduled to perform are Pitbull, Mr. Vegas, Special Ed and Geto Boys. Tickets are on sale through all Ticket Master outlets, UM Convocation Center Box Office or TheBeatMiami.com with ticket prices starting at $15. For more information visit UMConvocationCenter.com.

The Miami Hurricanes had to adjust their offense at halftime Saturday to pull out a road win against ...

Photo Gallery: UM v. Virginia Tech | Saturday, November 17, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

The Miami Hurricanes found new life Saturday — despite so much seemingly going wrong. Big plays on o ...

At least in terms of their bowl situation, the Miami Hurricanes can take a deep, collective breath. ...

Thoughts, notes, reaction and postscripts after UM’s 38-14 win on Saturday at Virginia Tech, making ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team dropped a 75-52 decision Sunday at Iowa State in the P ...

The Canes got back to their winning ways with an impressive 38-14 victory at Virginia Tech. ...

20-point performances from Chris Lykes and DJ Vasiljevic led Miami past Bethune-Cookman. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team forced No. 10 Pitt to five sets in a thrilling match on Seni ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team is headed to Iowa State for the Preseason WNIT champio ...