News: 5 Top Moments

1-Debate ’04

Who will ever forget the chaos brought on by celebrity sightings, the media blitz, tight security and parking fiascos associated with the first Presidential Debate of 2004 held at the UM Convocation Center? More importantly, students got to experience history in the making, many even getting the opportunity to attend the Bush vs. Kerry debate.

2-Hurricanes

ne word: Lockdown. Hurricanes Charley, Frances, Ivan and Jeanne devastated the Caribbean and put Florida in a state of prolonged emergency. Students stocked up on everything from bottled water to canned food, going in search of a full tank of gas. Luckily, despite the shutters being up for months, UM and the city of Miami were mostly spared.

3-2004 Elections: The People Decide

seemed the entire semester was building up to the day when the U.S. presidency for the next four years was decided. Students waited in line up to seven hours at the Convocation Center to ensure that their votes would be counted. Despite some minor setbacks, the election ran much smoother than in 2000 to the relief of many Floridians.

4-Dalai Lama Visits UM

A spiritual leader and world visionary for peace, His Holiness the 14th Dalai Lama addressed the University and spoke on A Human Approach to World Peace to a packed crowd at the Convocation Center.

5-Homecoming ’04: Evolutions

Parades, reunions, ceremonies and competitions marked this exciting week full of school spirit. Alumni and current students came together in celebration of UM’s alma mater, participating in time-honored school traditions, creating new memories while reminiscing the past.

Pro Football Focus unveiled where Power 5 programs rank in tackles for a loss or no gain against the ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

Braylen Ingraham’s final college visit before decision day took him just about as far from home as p ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

The Miami women's tennis team opened play Friday at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Pr ...

The University of Miami women's swimming & diving team impressed in its quad-meet Friday af ...

The University of Miami volleyball team (10-6, 6-3 ACC) came up short in an ACC home match for the f ...

Junior averaged 11.4 points and 6.7 rebounds per game last season. ...

University of Miami head coach Gino DiMare released the Hurricanes' 2019 baseball schedule Thur ...