News Briefs

UM School of Nursing appoints new Senior Associate Dean

Nilda Peragallo, Dean of the School of Nursing, recently announced the appointment of Denise Korniewicz, D.N.Sc., RN, FAAN, as the Senior Associate Dean, Associate Dean for research and Director of the doctoral program. Korniewicz will oversee the research of doctoral students and faculty members, assisting in securing funding to continue their research. As director for the doctoral program, Korniewicz aims at moving the program in a new direction, providing students with research projects in hospital and community settings throughout the state of Florida. Her clinical specialties included critical care, trauma, emerging infections and infectious diseases.

Korniewicz is nationally recognized for her research in infectious diseases and barrier protection. She was a professor at Georgetown University in Washington D.C. and the University of Maryland in Baltimore. Being Captain in the U.S. Army Nurse Corps, she was one of the first nurse practitioners in the military. Currently, Korniewicz is a Fellow of the American Academy of Nursing and a member of the American Association of Nursing Science, the Association for Practitioners in Infection Control and the American Nurses Association, among others. She also is involved with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in Atlanta, Ga., and The White House Focus Group on Infection Control. Korniewicz is currently serving as an expert consultant for the American Nurses Association in Washington, D.C.

Korniewicz obtained her Doctor of Nursing Science degree from the Catholic University of America in Washington, D.C., and earned a Post-Doctoral Fellowship in Infection Prevention from Johns Hopkins University in Baltimore, Md.

Seinfeld donates ‘puffy shirt’ to Smithsonian Museum

(U-WIRE) WASHINGTON – The Smithsonian Museum of American History acquired its first “joke” Thursday night as comedian Jerry Seinfeld made a lasting contribution.

The comedian presented the museum with his famed puffy shirt and script from the “puffy shirt” episode, which aired during the show’s fifth season. In the episode, Seinfeld agrees to wear the shirt when he appears on The Today Show, but only after nagging from Kramer’s low-talker girlfriend.

“This is the most embarrassing moment in the history of the Smithsonian. This has got to be a new low for them and I couldn’t be prouder to have my named plastered all over it,” Seinfeld said at the dedication ceremony.

Seinfeld said that the museum’s philosophy goes against what he stands for because he generally throws everything away.

The Smithsonian’s pop culture collection has more than 6,000 objects from theatre, film and television. The puffy shirt will sit on display next to Dorothy’s ruby slippers from The Wizard of Oz and Jim Henson’s Kermit the Frog puppet.

The dedication ceremony was followed by a reception that featured items from popular “Seinfeld” establishments including Ray’s Pizza and the Soup Nazi. Also available were black and white cookies, Kramer’s rice pudding, corned beef and turkey club sandwiches, egg cream, Junior Mints and Milk Duds.

Etc.

Submit your ideas for the UMTV mascot’s name. He’s here and he’s new but what should we call him? Send replies to namethemascot@hotmail.com.

The Atlantic Coast Conference Baseball Championship schedule is set. The No. 4 seed Miami Hurricanes ...

The first regular season of Gino DiMare’s head-coaching era ended Saturday at Mark Light Field. But ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ hopes for hosting an NCAA regional were damaged a bit on Friday night by a 12- ...

It took a long time for Dewan Hernandez to reach a point of acceptance for what happened to his juni ...

The life of a fullback isn’t always glamorous, even 15 years ago before the position was essentially ...

The University of Miami is shaping the future of education by using innovative approaches that drive ...

Six short films created by University of Miami film students will be screened in Los Angeles this we ...

Researchers from 16 Latin American and Caribbean countries, hosted by the Institute for the Advanced ...

Two University of Miami a cappella groups, Tufaan and BisCaydence, celebrated big wins in different ...

After Alabama’s governor signed into law the most-stringent anti-abortion bill in the nation, UM exp ...

Chris McMahon struck out six over five shutout innings to earn his first win since April 6. ...

Miami's Second Varsity Four earned a bronze medal at the 2019 ACC Rowing Championships Saturday ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team is the ITA Southeast Region Arthur Ashe ...

100 days until Miami – Florida LVI. The countdown is on. ...

The ACC Network is set to launch August 22. If your television provider hasn't yet decided to c ...