News Briefs

UM School of Nursing appoints new Senior Associate Dean

Nilda Peragallo, Dean of the School of Nursing, recently announced the appointment of Denise Korniewicz, D.N.Sc., RN, FAAN, as the Senior Associate Dean, Associate Dean for research and Director of the doctoral program. Korniewicz will oversee the research of doctoral students and faculty members, assisting in securing funding to continue their research. As director for the doctoral program, Korniewicz aims at moving the program in a new direction, providing students with research projects in hospital and community settings throughout the state of Florida. Her clinical specialties included critical care, trauma, emerging infections and infectious diseases.

Korniewicz is nationally recognized for her research in infectious diseases and barrier protection. She was a professor at Georgetown University in Washington D.C. and the University of Maryland in Baltimore. Being Captain in the U.S. Army Nurse Corps, she was one of the first nurse practitioners in the military. Currently, Korniewicz is a Fellow of the American Academy of Nursing and a member of the American Association of Nursing Science, the Association for Practitioners in Infection Control and the American Nurses Association, among others. She also is involved with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in Atlanta, Ga., and The White House Focus Group on Infection Control. Korniewicz is currently serving as an expert consultant for the American Nurses Association in Washington, D.C.

Korniewicz obtained her Doctor of Nursing Science degree from the Catholic University of America in Washington, D.C., and earned a Post-Doctoral Fellowship in Infection Prevention from Johns Hopkins University in Baltimore, Md.

Seinfeld donates ‘puffy shirt’ to Smithsonian Museum

(U-WIRE) WASHINGTON – The Smithsonian Museum of American History acquired its first “joke” Thursday night as comedian Jerry Seinfeld made a lasting contribution.

The comedian presented the museum with his famed puffy shirt and script from the “puffy shirt” episode, which aired during the show’s fifth season. In the episode, Seinfeld agrees to wear the shirt when he appears on The Today Show, but only after nagging from Kramer’s low-talker girlfriend.

“This is the most embarrassing moment in the history of the Smithsonian. This has got to be a new low for them and I couldn’t be prouder to have my named plastered all over it,” Seinfeld said at the dedication ceremony.

Seinfeld said that the museum’s philosophy goes against what he stands for because he generally throws everything away.

The Smithsonian’s pop culture collection has more than 6,000 objects from theatre, film and television. The puffy shirt will sit on display next to Dorothy’s ruby slippers from The Wizard of Oz and Jim Henson’s Kermit the Frog puppet.

The dedication ceremony was followed by a reception that featured items from popular “Seinfeld” establishments including Ray’s Pizza and the Soup Nazi. Also available were black and white cookies, Kramer’s rice pudding, corned beef and turkey club sandwiches, egg cream, Junior Mints and Milk Duds.

Etc.

Submit your ideas for the UMTV mascot’s name. He’s here and he’s new but what should we call him? Send replies to namethemascot@hotmail.com.

Pro Football Focus unveiled where Power 5 programs rank in tackles for a loss or no gain against the ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

Braylen Ingraham’s final college visit before decision day took him just about as far from home as p ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

The Miami women's tennis team turned in a strong showing Saturday at the ITA Southeast Regional ...

The University of Miami soccer team closes out action in the Tar Heel state with a match against thi ...

The Miami women's tennis team opened play Friday at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Pr ...

The Miami Hurricanes fell in their tri-meet with Georgia Tech and Notre Dame Saturday afternoon, dro ...

The University of Miami women's swimming & diving team impressed in its quad-meet Friday af ...