News Briefs

UM School of Nursing appoints new Senior Associate Dean

Nilda Peragallo, Dean of the School of Nursing, recently announced the appointment of Denise Korniewicz, D.N.Sc., RN, FAAN, as the Senior Associate Dean, Associate Dean for research and Director of the doctoral program. Korniewicz will oversee the research of doctoral students and faculty members, assisting in securing funding to continue their research. As director for the doctoral program, Korniewicz aims at moving the program in a new direction, providing students with research projects in hospital and community settings throughout the state of Florida. Her clinical specialties included critical care, trauma, emerging infections and infectious diseases.

Korniewicz is nationally recognized for her research in infectious diseases and barrier protection. She was a professor at Georgetown University in Washington D.C. and the University of Maryland in Baltimore. Being Captain in the U.S. Army Nurse Corps, she was one of the first nurse practitioners in the military. Currently, Korniewicz is a Fellow of the American Academy of Nursing and a member of the American Association of Nursing Science, the Association for Practitioners in Infection Control and the American Nurses Association, among others. She also is involved with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in Atlanta, Ga., and The White House Focus Group on Infection Control. Korniewicz is currently serving as an expert consultant for the American Nurses Association in Washington, D.C.

Korniewicz obtained her Doctor of Nursing Science degree from the Catholic University of America in Washington, D.C., and earned a Post-Doctoral Fellowship in Infection Prevention from Johns Hopkins University in Baltimore, Md.

Seinfeld donates ‘puffy shirt’ to Smithsonian Museum

(U-WIRE) WASHINGTON – The Smithsonian Museum of American History acquired its first “joke” Thursday night as comedian Jerry Seinfeld made a lasting contribution.

The comedian presented the museum with his famed puffy shirt and script from the “puffy shirt” episode, which aired during the show’s fifth season. In the episode, Seinfeld agrees to wear the shirt when he appears on The Today Show, but only after nagging from Kramer’s low-talker girlfriend.

“This is the most embarrassing moment in the history of the Smithsonian. This has got to be a new low for them and I couldn’t be prouder to have my named plastered all over it,” Seinfeld said at the dedication ceremony.

Seinfeld said that the museum’s philosophy goes against what he stands for because he generally throws everything away.

The Smithsonian’s pop culture collection has more than 6,000 objects from theatre, film and television. The puffy shirt will sit on display next to Dorothy’s ruby slippers from The Wizard of Oz and Jim Henson’s Kermit the Frog puppet.

The dedication ceremony was followed by a reception that featured items from popular “Seinfeld” establishments including Ray’s Pizza and the Soup Nazi. Also available were black and white cookies, Kramer’s rice pudding, corned beef and turkey club sandwiches, egg cream, Junior Mints and Milk Duds.

Etc.

Submit your ideas for the UMTV mascot’s name. He’s here and he’s new but what should we call him? Send replies to namethemascot@hotmail.com.

A day after naming Ephraim Banda and Jonathan Patke co-defensive coordinators, the Miami Hurricanes ...

It doesn’t matter if the number is actually 21 or it’s just what Jeremiah Payton estimates now. Twen ...

The Miami Hurricanes didn’t waste long to find their replacements for Manny Diaz at defensive coordi ...

The Miami Hurricanes will have to try to get revenge on the Wisconsin Badgers without perhaps their ...

Mark Barnes likes to call Zion Nelson a “throwback” player, but the coach really means Nelson is sor ...

The Foote Fellows Honors Program offers students added flexibility to pursue multiple academic inter ...

Commencement speakers share gems of insight and wisdom as more than 1,000 UM students graduate in tw ...

During a news conference Wednesday, a UM medical team talked about the clinical findings after exami ...

Your one-stop shop for University of Miami fall commencement information. ...

The University of Miami will welcome more than 1,000 new graduates into the UM alumni family during ...

Hurricanes Name Banda, Patke Co-Defensive Coordinators; Promote Simpson to Associate Head Coach ...

The No. 24/22 Miami women's basketball team will conclude its three-game homestand Sunday at 1 ...

World Series champion and UM baseball All-American Jon Jay will headline the 2019 First Pitch Banque ...

Fall graduation ceremonies held Thursday at Watsco Center. ...

The Miami women's basketball team ascended one position in each of the major national polls thi ...