Men’s basketball escapes with opening win

After winning both exhibition games, the men’s basketball team secured its first win of the regular season against the Wofford Terriers.

Anthony King opened the scoring with the first basket of the night, which was promptly countered by Wofford’s starting forward Howard Wilkerson. The quick answers to every field goal led to the close scoring patterns of both teams, which stayed within four points of each other throughout most of the first half.

With the score at 10-10 after only the first minute, nonstarters Raymond Hicks and Brandon Okpalobi were brought into the action. Soon thereafter Eric Wilkins and Glenn Batemon saw time as well.

A crowd-pleasing dunk by starting guard Guillermo Diaz, who finished with 13 points, made the score 30-24 in favor of the ‘Canes. Wofford quickly responded with two put back shots and an assist courtesy of guard Greg Taylor followed by Wilkerson’s assist to take a three-point lead. Miami’s guards Robert Hite, who had 12 points, and Antoine Mayhand stepped up to end the half in their favor, combining for five points, giving the Hurricanes a marginal 35-33 lead.

The second half proved to be successful offensively for the ‘Canes, who never fell behind their opponents. However, the defense’s tactics had limited success, permitting the Terriers to closely trail Miami throughout the game.

Finishing the game was an eventful last minute in which neither team scored despite turnovers by Okpalobi and Wilkerson that led to a race against the clock between the ‘Canes’ defense and the Terriers’ offense.

King recorded 19 rebounds during the game, a feat that has not been accomplished since the birth of the UM basketball program. Hamilton contributed eight points and 15 rebounds as well

The 67-64 finish was not only important for the team as they start its first year in the Atlantic Coast Conference, but for ‘Canes new Head Coach Frank Haith.

“It was a win, but we know we still have work to do to become successful in the ACC,” Haith said. “We’re going to build on our offense and address the problems of lack of movement on the courts as well as turnovers.”

Stacey Arnold can be contacted at s.arnold@umiami.edu.

At 9:17 p.m. Tuesday, University of Miami football coach Manny Diaz, who these days doubles as a Hur ...

With just 14 more shopping days before National Signing Day, here’s where the Hurricanes stand with ...

Manny Diaz’s coaching staff for the Miami Hurricanes is finally set. Less than three weeks after he ...

There’s at least a chance this might not be the final season watching a Wade perform on a large Sout ...

The one major hole missing on Manny Diaz’s staff until Friday was the lockdown ace recruiter. The ne ...

A large area of low pressure and arctic air swirling above the North Pole fractured and split into t ...

The University of Miami brings together leaders in academia, professional practice, and industry to ...

On Dec. 14, 2018 universal health care programs in both the United States and Mexico were dealt sign ...

For the first time in more than 15 years, two of UMTV’s weekly shows were nominated for the Televisi ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Daevenia Achong of the No. 17 Miami women's tennis team reeled in a pair of ACC accolades, as a ...

University of Miami sophomore Adria Soriano Barrera, ranked No. 21 on the Oracle/ITA singles list, g ...

Following a one-week absence, the Miami women's basketball team reentered the top 25 of the USA ...

The Miami women's basketball team will play its highest-ranked opponent of the season thus far ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Monday that it will host its fifth annual Celebration of Wom ...