Be Their Guest

You never get too old for fairytales. That may be the lesson every audience member leaves with after watching the new-to-South-Florida musical version of Disney’s Beauty and the Beast.

The non-profit Actors’ Playhouse bought the rights to Disney’s theater adaptation of its movie and then cast, directed, and made everything from the storybook set to the elaborate costumes in Coral Gables for its 10th anniversary season. The show, which still runs on Broadway, will be on for seven weeks at the Miracle Theatre.

Movie fans will be glad to know that the musical remains faithful to the 1991 Oscar-nominated film – down to such memorable enchanted household characters like Cogsworth (Terrell Hardcastle), Mrs. Potts (Lourelene Snedeker) and Lumiere (Bill Perlach) that sing and dance on “Be Our Guest” – only straying so far as to add a handful of new musical numbers. Theater fans will find that high-caliber musical theater performances are but a short drive from campus away.

With the possible exception of Lumiere’s off-and-on French accent, the strong acting throughout the musical often adds depth to stereotypical cartoon characters. Actor Tally Sessions portrays the pain of the Beast as he evolves from growling and hunching over on all fours to speaking eloquently and standing upright, even though in the beginning of the first act it’s frustrating not to see much of his face or costume, and his echoing voice and roars can get a bit too wild.

One of the best performances is given by the charismatic Lefou (David Perez-Ribada),Gaston’s sycophantic sidekick, who steals the show with his humorous slapstick and impressive dancing and singing abilities (at one point, he belts out singing while lying down). The arm-flexing, Elvis-like Gaston (Robert Rokicki) also provides repeated comic relief with his dead-on portrayal of the sexist, egocentric antagonist that vies for the heart of the sweet, eager Belle (Gwen Hollander).

Lefou and Gaston contribute in large part to one of the show’s best musical numbers, “Gaston,” where en eye-pleasing use of levels, acrobatics and a Stomp-like rhythm with beer jugs create an energetic scene. A weaker number, however, is “Human Again,” where the household characters somewhat crowd the stage.

The live orchestra, special effects and (if somewhat dark at times) lighting, together with some adult jokes (“The perfect pair, rather like my thighs!” exclaims Gaston) and appealing chemistry among cast members, make up for an enjoyable theater outing. Disney’s Beauty and the Beast will leave you smiling, and the tunes will be playing over in your head long after you’ve left Miracle Mile.

Patricia Mazzei can be contacted at p.mazzei@umiami.edu.

At their best, they are UM’s most dynamic players on each side of the ball. But the Ahmmon Richards ...

A day after practicing in the Carol Soffer Football Indoor Practice Facility for the first time in s ...

It appears that at least one LSU receiver won’t be available at the University of Miami football ope ...

After the Miami Hurricanes football team spent part of its practice on Monday in a torrential downpo ...

Nothing like a comic book cover on steroids to get University of Miami and LSU football fans juiced ...

Intergroup Dialogue, soon to be offered as a course, fosters a sense of belonging, an appreciation f ...

Aretha Franklin and her music defined “what is soul” to generations of music lovers. ...

The University of Miami kicked into high gear to welcome thousands of new students and ensure move-i ...

UM President Julio Frenk welcomes first-year and transfer students to UM in signature ’Cane Kickoff ...

Miami Law conducts its inaugural Legal Impact Hack for first-year students. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team won its exhibition match over FIU, 3-0, Saturday at the Knig ...

Coming off a road win in its season opener, the University of Miami soccer team will welcome crossto ...

In head coach Sarah Barnes' debut at the helm, the University of Miami soccer team won its seas ...

The Hurricanes practiced in the Carol Soffer Indoor Practice Facility for the first time ever on Fri ...

Malik Rosier, Travis Homer and Ahmmon Richards are key returning playmakers, but they are just the b ...