At this point in my college career, I hate school

It is not as if I do not enjoy my education, but I have come to realize that my working hard now will not matter much in the near future. Sure, I am required to possess a degree for all the jobs that I am applying for but it seems as if recruiters are less interested in the knowledge I possess and more interested in how I perform on the job – a skill not taught in college. I can write a paper on any topic but the jobs I am applying for do not require them.

How beneficial are some of the classes I have to take? I am a history major who is horrible at both math and science. Do I really need to take something so difficult to make me a well-rounded person? I can move through life with superficial knowledge of both of these.

In my history classes I feel that I am just going through the motions so that I will reach my goal in May and I am not motivated to work as hard as I can. You can call it senioritis, but I call it boredom. I enjoy being educated but I am a little disillusioned when I have to write papers on meaningless topics. In my classes I rather draw and come up with article ideas then pay attention. I am lucky because I worked hard the first years of college so that my G.P.A. is solid because now I only have to deal with passing. I even figured how low my grades can be this semester so that my G.P.A. doesn’t take much of a hit.

Laziness is not wanting to do something because you don’t want to do it. I don’t want to work as hard as possible because it really won’t matter because I am not attending graduate school. I am more dedicated to finding a job this year than to studying. I rather watch UM football games, Champions League soccer, Adult Swim or raunchy videos on BET Uncut than utilize all of the time I have available to do homework, and I think many of us feel the same way about school.

Vontilla Steven can be contacted at v.steven@umiami.edu.

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Monday night: ▪ FIU has decided that its Nov. 23 football game agains ...

Dewan Hernandez hit another NCAA roadblock on Monday, but the University of Miami forward will take ...

Jeff Thomas will be joining the Illinois Fighting Illini after all. After a few days of discussion a ...

While the University of Miami awaits what quarterback it will get Feb. 6 on National Signing Day, ne ...

It appears the University of Miami football program has found its answer to intelligent, energetic, ...

Grantees aim to eliminate opportunity gaps and biases in different realms and improve brain injury t ...

The film launches the 2019 film series for the UM Libraries Cuban Heritage Collection. ...

Here’s a go-to list of dates you should keep an eye on throughout the semester, along with some tidb ...

For more than 77 years, UM Hillel has provided a vibrant and diverse “home-away-from-home” that is f ...

University of Miami experts weigh in on the largest increase in carbon emissions in eight years. ...

The University of Miami football program has hired Dan Enos as its offensive coordinator and quarter ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team wrapped up play on its first weekend of competition Sunday ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Monday that it will host its fifth annual Celebration of Wom ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team wrapped up play at the Miami Spring Invite Sunday, wi ...

Chris Lykes scored 25 points as Miami got past Wake Forest. ...