News Briefs

SG gives students ride to airport for Thanksgiving

Student Government and Student Affairs recently announced that the 2nd Annual

Thanksgiving Ibis Ride shuttles will be running for the University of Miami campus to Miami International Airport on Wednesday, Nov. 24. Shuttles will be departing from three locations on campus: Mahoney and Pearson Residential Colleges, Eaton Residential College and Stanford and Hecht Residential Colleges. They will be operating from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. Shuttles will be arriving at their pick-up locations every hour throughout the day. In order to reserve a seat on the Thanksgiving Shuttle, students must contact Parking and Transportation at 305-284-3096 (option 1).

The FBI Visits Campus

Students discover job opportunities as FBI agents

UM students were given a chance to mingle with agents from one of the top agencies in the United States last Tuesday. As part of UMagine’s public relations campaign project, the Federal Bureau of Investigation visited students in the UC lower lounge, explaining different career and internship opportunities, from becoming an FBI special agent to becoming a member of their Professional Support team. Free food, beverages and give-aways were provided. UMagine is an agency created by students taking a public relations campaigns course in the School of Communication. Its goal is to carry out an on-campus recruitment campaign for the FBI, learning the different aspects of public relations along the way.

(U-WIRE) NORMAN, Okla. – More than 20 teams will be competing to make the best chili at the University of Oklahoma Gamma Phi Beta Chili Cook-Off Monday night.

This is the 16th year the sorority has held the event, which gives awards for the best chili, the hottest chili and the most spirited team, said Kari Culp, Chili Cook-Off chairwoman and public relations sophomore.

Culp said that having the hottest chili is something that many people look for.

“A lot of the guys get really into it; last year people were crying because the chili was so hot,” she said.

Jennifer Zarate, public relations sophomore, said this is her first year participating in the Chili Cook-Off.

“I’ve heard that the fraternity guys try to see who can make the hottest chili,” she said. “It’s supposed to be really funny to watch them try to eat it.” Last year, Alpha Chi Omega won the award for best chili and Pi Kappa Phi won for hottest.

The theme this year for Chili Cook-Off is “Set Your Taste Buds on Fire,” Culp said. Two local fire stations will be present at the event along with their fire trucks to add to the atmosphere, she said.

Culp said she hopes people will come out and enjoy themselves at the cook-off.

“This is the most fun philanthropy on campus,” she said.

All proceeds from Chili Cook-Off will benefit the United Way of Norman, Okla., Gamma Phi Beta’s local philanthropy. This is the main fund-raising event during the year that the sorority hosts for the organization, Culp said.

Culp said she expects more than $6,000 to be raised during this year’s event. Gamma Phi Beta raised $4,000 last year for the United Way.

“It’s great that we can give so much money to the United Way,” Zarate said.

Tickets for the event are $5 at the door or $4 in advance from any member of Gamma Phi Beta.

“We’re raising money for a good cause, and everyone should come out,” Culp said.