New flicks to pass the time

Thanksgiving is coming up and students everywhere are going to have a few days to relax, so kick back and check out one of the latest box office releases.

Alfie
The story of the swinging American playboy, the R-rated Alfie recaptures the decadence of the times and brings a contemporary twist to the screen. Played by Jude Law, Alfie is now an irresistible Londoner who has taken to Manhattan to make a fortune and sleep with as many “beautiful birds” as possible. Working as a limousine driver, Law plays up a more serious side of the character while offsetting it with subtle humor. In the end, Alfie is forced to take a deep look at himself and the pain he causes while sleeping with his “birds.”

SpongeBob Squarepants
Opening today and rated PG, indulge in childish behavior and journey to the pineapple under the sea with a bright yellow sponge. Advertised as “Bigger. Better. More Absorbent,” SpongeBob finds himself going on an interesting road trip after his friend Patrick sets out on a quest. Voiced by Alec Baldwin as Dennis the hit man, Scarlett Johansson, Jeffrey Tambor, and a surprise appearance by David Hasselhoff as himself, SpongeBob is definitely expanding, in conjunction with a soundtrack that includes artists such as chart-topper Avril Lavigne, the Flaming Lips, and The Shins. So again, don’t under estimate the yellow square and leave SpongeBob as an option.

After Sunset
The story of a successful thief and his beautiful accomplice who retire to a tropical island to enjoy their last heist, After Sunset has an all-star cast. After Brosnan, the thief, gets a visit from his FBI nemesis, Woody Harrelson, intrigue ensues with twists and turns. Rated PG-13 and following along the lines of Brosnan’s classic Bond-esqe roles, After Sunset has received solid reviews.

Joanna Davila can be contacted at j.davila1@umiami.edu

Other suggested films:
Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason, R
Finding Neverland, PG
The Incredibles, PG
Kinsey, R
The Seed of Chucky, R

University of Miami coach Mark Richt apparently is a fan of President Teddy Roosevelt’s — or at leas ...

If there was one freshman the Miami Hurricanes knew would have to help entering the season, Brevin J ...

Not only has Gerald Willis been one of the best stories of the Miami Hurricanes’ season, he has also ...

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that global pressures are makin ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

Dr. Ralph Sacco, a top neurologist and researcher at the University of Miami Miller School of Medici ...

U.S. Congresswoman and Chairman Emerita of the House Committee on Foreign Affairs Ileana Ros-Lehtine ...

Nearly 400 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service da ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...