New flicks to pass the time

Thanksgiving is coming up and students everywhere are going to have a few days to relax, so kick back and check out one of the latest box office releases.

Alfie
The story of the swinging American playboy, the R-rated Alfie recaptures the decadence of the times and brings a contemporary twist to the screen. Played by Jude Law, Alfie is now an irresistible Londoner who has taken to Manhattan to make a fortune and sleep with as many “beautiful birds” as possible. Working as a limousine driver, Law plays up a more serious side of the character while offsetting it with subtle humor. In the end, Alfie is forced to take a deep look at himself and the pain he causes while sleeping with his “birds.”

SpongeBob Squarepants
Opening today and rated PG, indulge in childish behavior and journey to the pineapple under the sea with a bright yellow sponge. Advertised as “Bigger. Better. More Absorbent,” SpongeBob finds himself going on an interesting road trip after his friend Patrick sets out on a quest. Voiced by Alec Baldwin as Dennis the hit man, Scarlett Johansson, Jeffrey Tambor, and a surprise appearance by David Hasselhoff as himself, SpongeBob is definitely expanding, in conjunction with a soundtrack that includes artists such as chart-topper Avril Lavigne, the Flaming Lips, and The Shins. So again, don’t under estimate the yellow square and leave SpongeBob as an option.

After Sunset
The story of a successful thief and his beautiful accomplice who retire to a tropical island to enjoy their last heist, After Sunset has an all-star cast. After Brosnan, the thief, gets a visit from his FBI nemesis, Woody Harrelson, intrigue ensues with twists and turns. Rated PG-13 and following along the lines of Brosnan’s classic Bond-esqe roles, After Sunset has received solid reviews.

Joanna Davila can be contacted at j.davila1@umiami.edu

Other suggested films:
Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason, R
Finding Neverland, PG
The Incredibles, PG
Kinsey, R
The Seed of Chucky, R

Friday was strange for Gino DiMare. It wasn’t because his whole family went out to the mound at Alex ...

One thing was obvious to Wayne Younger the first time he got his hands on Ladarius Tennison: The ath ...

Though it’s early, UM already has assembled an outstanding nine-member 2020 recruiting class, a grou ...

Three days before they open their season against the Rutgers Scarlet Knights, the Miami Hurricanes h ...

The first half of Wednesday night’s game was as lousy as the weather outside the Watsco Center, as t ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The University of Miami baseball team opened the Gino DiMare era with a record-setting victory over ...

The Canes open the 75th season in program history and first under the direction of head coach Gino D ...

Game time is 6 p.m. in Chestnut Hill, Mass. ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team will play its second top-five foe in a span of three g ...

The University of Miami golf team heads to the Big Easy to open competition Sunday at the 2019 Allst ...