New flicks to pass the time

Thanksgiving is coming up and students everywhere are going to have a few days to relax, so kick back and check out one of the latest box office releases.

Alfie
The story of the swinging American playboy, the R-rated Alfie recaptures the decadence of the times and brings a contemporary twist to the screen. Played by Jude Law, Alfie is now an irresistible Londoner who has taken to Manhattan to make a fortune and sleep with as many “beautiful birds” as possible. Working as a limousine driver, Law plays up a more serious side of the character while offsetting it with subtle humor. In the end, Alfie is forced to take a deep look at himself and the pain he causes while sleeping with his “birds.”

SpongeBob Squarepants
Opening today and rated PG, indulge in childish behavior and journey to the pineapple under the sea with a bright yellow sponge. Advertised as “Bigger. Better. More Absorbent,” SpongeBob finds himself going on an interesting road trip after his friend Patrick sets out on a quest. Voiced by Alec Baldwin as Dennis the hit man, Scarlett Johansson, Jeffrey Tambor, and a surprise appearance by David Hasselhoff as himself, SpongeBob is definitely expanding, in conjunction with a soundtrack that includes artists such as chart-topper Avril Lavigne, the Flaming Lips, and The Shins. So again, don’t under estimate the yellow square and leave SpongeBob as an option.

After Sunset
The story of a successful thief and his beautiful accomplice who retire to a tropical island to enjoy their last heist, After Sunset has an all-star cast. After Brosnan, the thief, gets a visit from his FBI nemesis, Woody Harrelson, intrigue ensues with twists and turns. Rated PG-13 and following along the lines of Brosnan’s classic Bond-esqe roles, After Sunset has received solid reviews.

Joanna Davila can be contacted at j.davila1@umiami.edu

Other suggested films:
Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason, R
Finding Neverland, PG
The Incredibles, PG
Kinsey, R
The Seed of Chucky, R

It wasn’t long ago when the Miami Hurricanes’ Class of 2020 included the top three rising senior pro ...

Six new Hurricanes football players arrived on campus and began classes Monday, a group including a ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference Baseball Championship schedule is set. The No. 4 seed Miami Hurricanes ...

The first regular season of Gino DiMare’s head-coaching era ended Saturday at Mark Light Field. But ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ hopes for hosting an NCAA regional were damaged a bit on Friday night by a 12- ...

Imagine simulating diabetes, lung cancer, or heart disease on a device no larger than a credit card. ...

Alabama’s new abortion law puts the issue of women’s rights in the spotlight for the upcoming 2020 e ...

The University of Miami is shaping the future of education by using innovative approaches that drive ...

Six short films created by University of Miami film students will be screened in Los Angeles this we ...

Researchers from 16 Latin American and Caribbean countries, hosted by the Institute for the Advanced ...

Four Miami Hurricanes were among those recognized by the Atlantic Coast Conference Monday for their ...

Top-seeded Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team started her NCAA Singles Cha ...

The Barcelona, Spain, native caps his sophomore campaign with a team-high 21 singles wins. ...

The University of Miami track and field program garnered 20 entries in the 2019 NCAA East Preliminar ...

Miami's schedule features seven matches against teams that reached the NCAA Championship. ...