New flicks to pass the time

Thanksgiving is coming up and students everywhere are going to have a few days to relax, so kick back and check out one of the latest box office releases.

Alfie
The story of the swinging American playboy, the R-rated Alfie recaptures the decadence of the times and brings a contemporary twist to the screen. Played by Jude Law, Alfie is now an irresistible Londoner who has taken to Manhattan to make a fortune and sleep with as many “beautiful birds” as possible. Working as a limousine driver, Law plays up a more serious side of the character while offsetting it with subtle humor. In the end, Alfie is forced to take a deep look at himself and the pain he causes while sleeping with his “birds.”

SpongeBob Squarepants
Opening today and rated PG, indulge in childish behavior and journey to the pineapple under the sea with a bright yellow sponge. Advertised as “Bigger. Better. More Absorbent,” SpongeBob finds himself going on an interesting road trip after his friend Patrick sets out on a quest. Voiced by Alec Baldwin as Dennis the hit man, Scarlett Johansson, Jeffrey Tambor, and a surprise appearance by David Hasselhoff as himself, SpongeBob is definitely expanding, in conjunction with a soundtrack that includes artists such as chart-topper Avril Lavigne, the Flaming Lips, and The Shins. So again, don’t under estimate the yellow square and leave SpongeBob as an option.

After Sunset
The story of a successful thief and his beautiful accomplice who retire to a tropical island to enjoy their last heist, After Sunset has an all-star cast. After Brosnan, the thief, gets a visit from his FBI nemesis, Woody Harrelson, intrigue ensues with twists and turns. Rated PG-13 and following along the lines of Brosnan’s classic Bond-esqe roles, After Sunset has received solid reviews.

Joanna Davila can be contacted at j.davila1@umiami.edu

Other suggested films:
Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason, R
Finding Neverland, PG
The Incredibles, PG
Kinsey, R
The Seed of Chucky, R

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

New technology could help schools identify shooters and other intruders before they enter the door. ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Through three games, Miami is No. 1 in the country in tackles for loss and the entire Hurricanes def ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to return to Cobb Stadium, where it will host No. 12 Duke ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...