New flicks to pass the time

Thanksgiving is coming up and students everywhere are going to have a few days to relax, so kick back and check out one of the latest box office releases.

Alfie
The story of the swinging American playboy, the R-rated Alfie recaptures the decadence of the times and brings a contemporary twist to the screen. Played by Jude Law, Alfie is now an irresistible Londoner who has taken to Manhattan to make a fortune and sleep with as many “beautiful birds” as possible. Working as a limousine driver, Law plays up a more serious side of the character while offsetting it with subtle humor. In the end, Alfie is forced to take a deep look at himself and the pain he causes while sleeping with his “birds.”

SpongeBob Squarepants
Opening today and rated PG, indulge in childish behavior and journey to the pineapple under the sea with a bright yellow sponge. Advertised as “Bigger. Better. More Absorbent,” SpongeBob finds himself going on an interesting road trip after his friend Patrick sets out on a quest. Voiced by Alec Baldwin as Dennis the hit man, Scarlett Johansson, Jeffrey Tambor, and a surprise appearance by David Hasselhoff as himself, SpongeBob is definitely expanding, in conjunction with a soundtrack that includes artists such as chart-topper Avril Lavigne, the Flaming Lips, and The Shins. So again, don’t under estimate the yellow square and leave SpongeBob as an option.

After Sunset
The story of a successful thief and his beautiful accomplice who retire to a tropical island to enjoy their last heist, After Sunset has an all-star cast. After Brosnan, the thief, gets a visit from his FBI nemesis, Woody Harrelson, intrigue ensues with twists and turns. Rated PG-13 and following along the lines of Brosnan’s classic Bond-esqe roles, After Sunset has received solid reviews.

Joanna Davila can be contacted at j.davila1@umiami.edu

Other suggested films:
Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason, R
Finding Neverland, PG
The Incredibles, PG
Kinsey, R
The Seed of Chucky, R

While the University of Miami has just three Class of 2019 oral commitments on offense, the Canes ha ...

Gerald Willis’ monster season has earned another piece of national recognition. On Monday, the Miami ...

It hasn’t been a great few weeks on the recruiting trail for the Miami Hurricanes with regards to of ...

A six-pack of Heat notes, leading up to Heat-Lakers on Monday night: ▪ In the days before one of his ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Friday: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt hasn’t yet given any indication to the ...

Most UM Debate Team members devote 10 to 15 hours of preparation for each tournament. ...

National Geographic connects with the University of Miami to empower the next generation of storytel ...

Following national recognition for its French production of Cinderella, the Frost Opera Theater is d ...

Several UM art students are getting real-world exposure during a highly anticipated – and attended – ...

Over the past several years, more and more students are using UM Libraries as a study place, a meeti ...

Gerald Willis III added to his postseason awards list, picking up second-team All-America honors fro ...

Following its longest break of the season thus far, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews announced Friday the signing of two players ...

After a six-day layoff, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team will be back in action Sund ...

University of Miami redshirt senior defensive tackle Gerald Willis III was recognized for his outsta ...