Do students enjoy disrespecting their classmates?

We all know these people. They are late, talkative, eat in class, and always seem to forget that there cell phone is on ring mode. Why is it that we have a new class schedule which allows us 15 minutes to walk from one class to another and people are still late? If you are five minutes late for class, you took 20 minutes to get there! What follows after a student is late is the apologetic posture to show that they are sorry for being late. Sorry works maybe twice a semester. Why are you late every day?

As expected, these are usually the same people who pack up with a few minutes left in the lecture while the professor is still speaking. If you haven’t heard yet, the lecture is over when the professor stops speaking. What’s the rush you’re going to be late for your next class anyway?

Once you get into class, shut up. I am in the room to learn along with all of the other people who are already seated and prepared. I don’t need to hear you babble about something meaningless while I am struggling to hear a “low-talking” professor.

If you have to eat, must it be in the classroom? It is never the easy-open Tupperware; it is always the bag of chips that’s sealed with super glue that you struggle to open or the dreaded peppermint with the cellophane wrapper. It doesn’t matter if you open each fast or slow it is annoying. Couple this with a carbonated drink and the subsequent hiss once opened and you are ready to eat.

Turn off the phone, please! Does the professor actually have to tell you to turn it off? It shouldn’t be on in class anyway unless you are expecting an emergency and even then it should be on vibrate.

Would you be mad if your professor didn’t admit you to a class after five minutes? You shouldn’t be, because you are breaking the flow of the lecture and hurting everyone else’s investment in class. You can do whatever you want on your own time; just don’t bring it to the classroom.

Vontilla Steven can be contacted at v.steven@umiami.edu.

It wasn’t long ago when the Miami Hurricanes’ Class of 2020 included the top three rising senior pro ...

Six new Hurricanes football players arrived on campus and began classes Monday, a group including a ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference Baseball Championship schedule is set. The No. 4 seed Miami Hurricanes ...

The first regular season of Gino DiMare’s head-coaching era ended Saturday at Mark Light Field. But ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ hopes for hosting an NCAA regional were damaged a bit on Friday night by a 12- ...

Imagine simulating diabetes, lung cancer, or heart disease on a device no larger than a credit card. ...

Alabama’s new abortion law puts the issue of women’s rights in the spotlight for the upcoming 2020 e ...

The University of Miami is shaping the future of education by using innovative approaches that drive ...

Six short films created by University of Miami film students will be screened in Los Angeles this we ...

Researchers from 16 Latin American and Caribbean countries, hosted by the Institute for the Advanced ...

Four Miami Hurricanes were among those recognized by the Atlantic Coast Conference Monday for their ...

Top-seeded Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team started her NCAA Singles Cha ...

The Barcelona, Spain, native caps his sophomore campaign with a team-high 21 singles wins. ...

The University of Miami track and field program garnered 20 entries in the 2019 NCAA East Preliminar ...

Miami's schedule features seven matches against teams that reached the NCAA Championship. ...