Campus undergoes various construction

Over the past year, several construction sites have emerged throughout campus. From the School of Communication to the School of Music, it seems that every building on campus is being revamped in some way.

The most recent groundbreaking was near the Wolfson building on Oct. 18. This $9 million project is for the future site of the School of Communication student center, to be completed in Oct. 2005.

The center will be five stories high, with classrooms, computer labs, lecture halls, copy rooms and faculty and graduate students’ offices.

A similar improvement has been taking place at the School of Music over the past year.

The music school’s technical center and library was a $10 million endeavor that started December of last year and is set to be operational by Jan. 2005. The technical center will have different labs like computer and recording labs. The library will have such aids as a listening library, a reading library, as well as its own stacks.

For some students, especially those who may not be receiving direct benefits from the construction, the changes are more of an inconvenience than anything else.

“I don’t like that they have taken away parking spaces, because it makes things even more difficult, but I guess in the end it will be better in improving the school,” Jessica Pouza, a commuter student, said.

Napoleon Santos, a student in the College of Arts and Sciences, said the improvements seem to be unfairly distributed.

“In my opinion, we need a new Cox Building,” Santos said.

According to Sergio Rodriguez, vice president of Campus Planning and Construction, the projects are not allocated in preference to one school over another. It depends on the source of funding for each project. The current construction sites are primarily funded through private donations.

Other sources of funding include a business plan set up by each school, in which the amount already designated for each school’s budget is evaluated as a construction source. For example, the Cox Science Center will be adding labs with money specifically saved by the College of Arts and Sciences for such a project.

The Momentum fundraising campaign, set to raise $1 billion by 2007, is an additional source of income for scholastic expansions. The money raised will go toward the construction of buildings, faculty, scholarships and research centers.

This money raised in the campaign will be used for such prospective developments as an alumni center, new Student Activities center, Richter Library expansion, Wellness Center expansion, Cox Science Center renovation and additions to Hecht Residential College and the Lowe Museum.

Camille Cohen can be contacted at c.cohen@umiami.edu.

Miami baseball coach Gino DiMare didn’t want his Hurricanes this past Sunday looking ahead to the we ...

When UM spring practice begins in a month, here’s one of many things the coaches need to determine: ...

Jaiden Francois already had a reputation as one of South Florida’s top defensive backs for the Class ...

It could be a fruitful year for the Miami Hurricanes in the 2019 NFL Draft. NFL Draft analyst Mel Ki ...

A quick six-pack off UM coach Manny Diaz’s conversation with Joe Zagacki and Don Bailey Jr. on WQAM’ ...

Students are invited to participate in the second annual Students of Color Symposium this weekend, f ...

The University of Miami connects scholarship recipients with the donors who helped make their educat ...

From eliminating waste to reusable containers, there are simple steps you can take to make UM more s ...

UM public health experts try to help tackle Venezuela’s ongoing health care crisis. ...

The Ring Theatre’s contemporary reworking of Molière’s “The Misanthrope” showcases the skills of UM’ ...

The University of Miami got off to a dream start at the ACC Swimming & Diving Championships Wedn ...

The sophomore first baseman smashed two homers to help power Canes to 4-0 start. ...

The University of Miami track and field team is set to compete at the 2019 ACC Indoor Track and Fiel ...

The Hurricanes will wrap up a four-game homestand with a midweek game against FAU on Wednesday at 6 ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team is set to cap its longest road stretch of the season T ...