Campus undergoes various construction

Over the past year, several construction sites have emerged throughout campus. From the School of Communication to the School of Music, it seems that every building on campus is being revamped in some way.

The most recent groundbreaking was near the Wolfson building on Oct. 18. This $9 million project is for the future site of the School of Communication student center, to be completed in Oct. 2005.

The center will be five stories high, with classrooms, computer labs, lecture halls, copy rooms and faculty and graduate students’ offices.

A similar improvement has been taking place at the School of Music over the past year.

The music school’s technical center and library was a $10 million endeavor that started December of last year and is set to be operational by Jan. 2005. The technical center will have different labs like computer and recording labs. The library will have such aids as a listening library, a reading library, as well as its own stacks.

For some students, especially those who may not be receiving direct benefits from the construction, the changes are more of an inconvenience than anything else.

“I don’t like that they have taken away parking spaces, because it makes things even more difficult, but I guess in the end it will be better in improving the school,” Jessica Pouza, a commuter student, said.

Napoleon Santos, a student in the College of Arts and Sciences, said the improvements seem to be unfairly distributed.

“In my opinion, we need a new Cox Building,” Santos said.

According to Sergio Rodriguez, vice president of Campus Planning and Construction, the projects are not allocated in preference to one school over another. It depends on the source of funding for each project. The current construction sites are primarily funded through private donations.

Other sources of funding include a business plan set up by each school, in which the amount already designated for each school’s budget is evaluated as a construction source. For example, the Cox Science Center will be adding labs with money specifically saved by the College of Arts and Sciences for such a project.

The Momentum fundraising campaign, set to raise $1 billion by 2007, is an additional source of income for scholastic expansions. The money raised will go toward the construction of buildings, faculty, scholarships and research centers.

This money raised in the campaign will be used for such prospective developments as an alumni center, new Student Activities center, Richter Library expansion, Wellness Center expansion, Cox Science Center renovation and additions to Hecht Residential College and the Lowe Museum.

Camille Cohen can be contacted at c.cohen@umiami.edu.

Is there an apt comparison for this year’s American League Championship series between the Boston Re ...

If the University of Miami defense isn’t boiling with frustration by now, it must be simmering in an ...

Miami Hurricanes redshirt senior Gerald Willis was the lone UM football player chosen for the Associ ...

A new batch of evidence presented Monday at the college basketball trial in New York seems to furthe ...

University of Miami coach Mark Richt apparently is a fan of President Teddy Roosevelt’s — or at leas ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that globalization and technolo ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

Dr. Ralph Sacco, a top neurologist and researcher at the University of Miami Miller School of Medici ...

U.S. Congresswoman and Chairman Emerita of the House Committee on Foreign Affairs Ileana Ros-Lehtine ...

Nearly 400 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service da ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...