Women’s basketball sweats out victory

For the first time in five seasons, the women’s basketball team went 2-0 in the pre-season, but it was not easy.

The Hurricanes defeated the EA Sports All-Stars 82-81 Saturday night at the Convocation Center.

Yalonda McCormick led the ‘Canes with 16 points, 10 rebounds and nine assists, falling one assist shy of a triple double. As the point guard, the Hurricanes are relying on her to play solid basketball all season.

“Everything will be in Yalonda’s hands, starting with running the point, and we are trying to keep her steady because we need her to play 40 minutes and play really smart basketball and make sure that she shows up every night,” Assistant Coach Robin Harmony said.

Freshman Albrey Grimsley hit five three pointers on her way to 17 points and junior Tamara James had 19 points, leading all scorers. Fallon Phanord added 16 points as well for the Hurricanes.

“Albrey is a talented freshman and we want to get her as much exposure as possible before we get to the ACC, so you will see a lot of her.” Harmony said. “Fallon was tired of sitting on the bench. She is a senior and this is her last opportunity, and she knows that. She is really athletic and a good defender and she is taking Melissa Knight’s spot so we really need that.”

The Hurricanes led throughout the game but almost blew a 10-point lead with five minutes to go. Leading by three with 4.6 seconds left, Yalonda McCormick’s inbound pass was stolen by Brandi McCain of EA Sports, but her game-tying three point attempt hit the front of the rim. A tip-in by McDaniel as time expired made it a one-point game.

“We were definitely holding our breath [on that last play]. We wanted to come into Albrey but she didn’t get through the screen, and then Bebe gave a bad pass to Fallon and things like that happen. Next time we will have more options,” Harmony said.

McCain led EA Sports with 14 points, all of which came in the second half. The Hurricanes struggled with their defense in the second half, getting outscored 48-41.

“Offensively, we think we are just as good as we were last year, if not better. Our question mark is our defense and we want to go in the ACC and dominate and let them know we are Miami,” Harmony said. “Our expectations are to get back to the NCAA Tournament.”

The Hurricanes were picked to finish fourth in the pre-season ACC rankings, behind three ranked teams. That is higher than they expected.

“We were surprised that we were picked fourth, we never thought we would be that high, but they are giving us our respect because of what we have done in the Big East,” Harmony said. “However, we know at the end of the day it doesn’t mean anything whether we are ranked last or first. We have to show up everyday.”

Darren Grossman can be contacted at d.grossman@umiami.edu.

Boston College star Ky Bowman came down with a 102-degree fever on Saturday night. Jordan Chatman an ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Sunday: ▪ New UM defensive coordinator Blake Baker has asked UM ...

Emese Hof and No. 20 Miami think they can play with anyone, and it shows. Hof scored 18 of her 25 po ...

New University of Miami baseball head coach Gino DiMare wanted to start strong. He got perfection. T ...

Former University of Miami star running back Mark Walton was arrested late Friday on a charge of mis ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team stormed back from a 14-point deficit to pick up the bi ...

Brian Van Belle struck out five over six shutout innings to help the Canes sweep Rutgers on opening ...

The Hurricanes dropped a tight contest with the Eagles in Chestnut Hill, 64-57. ...

The sophomore first baseman slugged his second homer of the weekend to lead the Canes to a series wi ...

Junior Renate Grimstad led the way for Miami and is tied for 18th at one-over-par, while sophomore K ...