If you think the U.S. is #1, you need a reality check

It is time for all of us to wake up and realize that this nation is not the best in the world and there are certain issues that we need to address.

Our life expectancy in 2000, according to the World Health Organization, is ranked 24th in the world, and our overall healthcare is ranked 37th. According to the National Campaign to Prevent Teen Pregnancy, the U.S. has the highest rate of teen pregnancy: 80 percent are out of wedlock.

Richard Estes, from the University of Pennsylvania, ranked the U.S. 27th in social progress. Reporters Without Borders ranks the U.S. 31st in regards to press freedom, a tie with Greece. In a study of rich countries and how they help poor countries based on aid, trade, investment and other factors, Foreign Policy magazine ranks the U.S 20th. According to King’s College in London, England, the U.S. also has the highest prison population in both absolute and proportional terms.

We are in the top 10 in regards to high school diplomas. According to the latest census, at least 85 percent of the population over 25 has one. We are second, behind Norway, in regards to college graduates (27 percent). What is interesting is the fact that the American education system from K-12 is less than adequate but once a student reaches college, the investment level on behalf of the government is increased. There is more funding for each student for those few years than most of the pre-college years combined. All of a sudden, education is a priority. In this year’s world university rankings in The Times (U.K.) Higher Education Supplement, the top four schools, out of 200, are from the U.S. Overall there are 65 U.S schools in the top 200.

Before we can boast about this we need to understand that most of the students that are admitted to these schools were provided with the best life has to offer and exist in a world foreign to most of the rest of the nation. In a nation that spends more on military technology and defense, has the highest GDP, and the highest number of billionaires, we still lag in many other categories. The U.S has a long way to go to achieve number one status overall in the world. Do not, for one second, allow your national pride to interfere with the work that needs to be done to make this a better place. The onus is on us as future leaders to play an active role in changing this nation into one that is truly the best.

Vontilla Steven can be contacted at v.steven@umiami.edu.

Is there an apt comparison for this year’s American League Championship series between the Boston Re ...

If the University of Miami defense isn’t boiling with frustration by now, it must be simmering in an ...

Miami Hurricanes redshirt senior Gerald Willis was the lone UM football player chosen for the Associ ...

A new batch of evidence presented Monday at the college basketball trial in New York seems to furthe ...

University of Miami coach Mark Richt apparently is a fan of President Teddy Roosevelt’s — or at leas ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that globalization and technolo ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

Dr. Ralph Sacco, a top neurologist and researcher at the University of Miami Miller School of Medici ...

U.S. Congresswoman and Chairman Emerita of the House Committee on Foreign Affairs Ileana Ros-Lehtine ...

Nearly 400 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service da ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...