CD REVIEW NONPOINT Recoil

After exploding onto the rock scene with Development, the hard-hitting members of Nonpoint took a year off to coil up their angst and frustration and inject it into the heart of their music. The result, entitled Recoil, finds the band pummeling their way through 13 gut-splitting tracks, sounding heavier, angrier and louder than ever.

But there’s an unfortunate glaring drawback to this CD. Like singer Elias Soriano screams on the opening track, “Things haven’t changed” – a problem that drains the album’s potential because the songs hardly seem to change at all.

That’s not to say there is no potential. From beginning to end, the album is an imploding riot of full-throttle energy. Thrashing through headbangers like “Broken Bones” and “Done It Anyway,” Soriano finds the ultimate forum for his fury against inner demons, politics, and the War in Iraq. On top of that, the blaring instruments and intense vocals elevate Recoil to daunting heights.

But the album rarely shifts from that formula. Despite attempts to keep it fresh with the Spanish-laced metal tune “Rabia” and a decent cover of Phil Collins’ “In The Air Tonight,” the album spirals into dullness. With Soriano constantly roaring over the songs instead of indulging a bit more in his solid singing voice, Recoil sometimes sounds like one giant circus of feedback. It’s still definitely worth a listen, but not for everyone’s ears.

Rafael Sangiovanni can be contacted at r.sangiovanni@umiami.edu.

UM was very fortunate that junior linebackers Shaquille Quarterman, Mike Pinckney and Zach McCloud a ...

Hard Rock Stadium will be filled with Miami fans — and probably only Miami fans — when the two colle ...

They made school history on Sunday with a nationally-televised road upset of No. 2 Louisville, and o ...

Mark Walton, the former University of Miami star football player and current Cincinnati Bengal, was ...

Don Chaney Jr. says his recruitment is over and the way he talks about the Miami Hurricanes, it’s ea ...

Researcher Rebecca Bulotsky Shearer is leading a study aimed at increasing the number of kids who ar ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team stormed back from a 14-point deficit to pick up the bi ...

Hours after garnering espnW National Player of the Week distinction, Emese Hof of the Miami women ...

For the second straight Monday, a member of the Miami women's basketball team has earned a nati ...

Brian Van Belle struck out five over six shutout innings to help the Canes sweep Rutgers on opening ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami golf team moved up two spots on Monday's leaderboard at t ...