THEATER REVIEW As You Like It contains some energy

Last year’s production of Twelfth Night set the benchmark for which I judge all theatre against. The problem with benchmarks is that they set the highest standards that make even good plays like As You Like It seemingly mediocre in comparison.

The play follows the adventures of Rosalind (Sarah Schreiber), and would-be beau Orlando (Matt Harell), who were both exiled by the tyrannical Duke Frederick (Norman Rocha). The problem as I see it is that the main characters come as off as flat, awkward and utterly forgettable (like the entire cast of Quantum’s A Chorus Line), but minor characters come alive to bringing energy, humor and most of all life to this play. This is especially true of the scene-stealing Silvius (Ross Evans) and the hilarious courtier-fool Touchstone (Nathan Schuster).

The set of As You Like It consists of four metal scaffolds upon a plain platform base which makes the stage look cold and reminding more me of last season’s Anton in Show Biz than Twelfth Night; fortunately the second act brings some much-needed color as spring sets in on the forest. What fares better is the lighting that managed to be effective despite some technical difficulties. The sound needed some minor work, but that was overshadowed by the entertaining music and energetic dance numbers.

Bottom line: This is not a bad play, but it could have been better. What saves this play from utter mediocrity is the brilliant and uproariously funny supporting cast who serve as entertaining relief from our bland protagonists. If you like average plays then the Ring will gladly accommodate you, but keep in mind it may not be exactly As You Like It.

The Jerry Herman Ring theatre is located on campus at 1312 Miller Drive. Student tickets are $8, faculty/alumni are $16.

Jonathan Twiggar can be reached at j.twiggar@umiami.edu.

Is there an apt comparison for this year’s American League Championship series between the Boston Re ...

If the University of Miami defense isn’t boiling with frustration by now, it must be simmering in an ...

Miami Hurricanes redshirt senior Gerald Willis was the lone UM football player chosen for the Associ ...

A new batch of evidence presented Monday at the college basketball trial in New York seems to furthe ...

University of Miami coach Mark Richt apparently is a fan of President Teddy Roosevelt’s — or at leas ...

A grant from the German government will support a series of roundtable and networking sessions on U. ...

As BioNIUM’s new director, the chair of the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology plans t ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that globalization and technolo ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

Dr. Ralph Sacco, a top neurologist and researcher at the University of Miami Miller School of Medici ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...