THE MATCHUP UM v.s. UVA

QUARTERBACK – UM

Brock Berlin has played the best football of his Hurricane career the past four weeks, but he did not throw a touchdown in last week’s loss to Clemson. That must change against a tough Virginia team.

Marques Hagans is the type of mobile quarterback that can give Miami’s defense a problem. He has only thrown for five touchdowns, however.

RUNNING BACK – UVA

Frank Gore should be healthy enough to play after twisting his ankle in the Clemson loss. The Hurricanes need more production from Tyrone Moss.

Wali Lundy has rushed for 725 yards and 14 touchdowns this season. Considering how much trouble the Hurricanes have had with mediocre running backs, Lundy could have a career game.

WIDE RECEIVER – UVA

Berlin now has a bevy of passing options, as Roscoe Parrish, Sinorice Moss, Darnell Jenkins, Akieem Jolla, Lance Leggett, Kevin Everett and Greg Olsen are all reliable targets.

Heath Miller might be the best tight end in the country, and he is certainly better than any receiving threat Miami has. Virginia also has depth at the position, as three Cavaliers have 17 receptions this season.

OFFENSIVE LINE – UVA

This battered unit will have to put together a courageous effort to hold off the Virginia pass rush.

Elton Brown has been named ACC Offensive Lineman of the Week twice this season. Right Tackle Brad Butler is 6’8″, so the Hurricane defensive ends will have a tough time Saturday.

DEFENSIVE LINE – UM

The d-line did a better job of getting penetration against Clemson, but they still have to play a full 60 minutes of football.

Sophomore Ahmad Brooks, who plays both linebacker and defensive end, was named ACC Defensive Lineman of the Week for his effort against Maryland, but the unit as a whole is not better than Miami’s.

LINEBACKERS – Even

The way our linebackers have been playing, a Pop Warner team would have the edge over them. They need to start staying home to stop the run, especially against Lundy.

I don’t know much about Dennis Haley and Kai Parham, but they can’t be any worse than the UM linebackers right now.

SECONDARY – UM

The secondary didn’t allow any touchdowns last week, but they still gave up too many big plays that set up scores. Antrel Rolle and the gang need to have a big game.

Both of Virginia’s safeties are seniors, but they are inexperienced at the corners, with a sophomore and freshman starting. UM’s receivers should have a good outing.

SPECIAL TEAMS – UM

I don’t know much about Virginia’s special teams, but I can’t imagine it having a better player than Devin Hester.

Safety Marquis Weeks handles the kick return duties, but I can assure you he is no Hester.

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

Mark Richt is sticking with the veteran. The Miami Hurricanes coach announced during the weekly Atla ...

Is there an apt comparison for this year’s American League Championship series between the Boston Re ...

If the University of Miami defense isn’t boiling with frustration by now, it must be simmering in an ...

Miami Hurricanes redshirt senior Gerald Willis was the lone UM football player chosen for the Associ ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

A grant from the German government will support a series of roundtable and networking sessions on U. ...

As BioNIUM’s new director, the chair of the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology plans t ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that globalization and technolo ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

For the second straight year, all of the Miami women's basketball teams will be televised and f ...

The University of Miami soccer team heads to the Tar Heel state for a pair of road matches beginning ...

Get to Know U is a series that introduces the newest members of the Miami Hurricanes track and field ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...