RELAX Venetian Pool stays cool daily

Imagine lounging in the sun surrounded by lush palm trees and crystal clear aquamarine water while listening to the soothing sounds of waterfalls in the background; welcome to the locale’s secret Venetian Pool, Miami’s version of paradise.

Located 10 minutes from campus, at the intersection of Granada and De Soto Boulevard, Venetian Pool is a swimming hole formed by a natural coral rock quarry in 1923 and developed by Phineas Paist and Denman Fink, uncle to Coral Gables’ founding father, George Merrick. Venice’s lagoons inspired the pool’s design and the surrounding architecture gives the swimming hole a Mediterranean appeal. The Venetian Pool is included in the National Register of Historic Places, and in 1989, approximately $3.9 million was spent restoring the pool.

Refreshed daily with cool spring water (cool being an understatement for the initial chill factor of the 76 to 78-degree water), it is undoubtedly a nice escape from the hot Miami sun. Featuring a partially submerged cave where visitors can swim and relax under, two waterfalls and a white sand beach, according to its website, VenetianPool.com, “Venetian Pool is truly an oasis of tranquility.”

Admission is $4.25, cash or check only, with ‘Cane Card, and hours vary depending on the season. Make sure to bring towels to lay out on since lounge chairs are sparse.

So when the half-naked bodies on South Beach and the horrible parking begins to get old, Venetian Pool offers a more convenient, relaxing and beautiful option to sun bathers alike.

Bari Lieberman can be contacted at b.lieberman@umiami.edu.

UM was very fortunate that junior linebackers Shaquille Quarterman, Mike Pinckney and Zach McCloud a ...

Hard Rock Stadium will be filled with Miami fans — and probably only Miami fans — when the two colle ...

They made school history on Sunday with a nationally-televised road upset of No. 2 Louisville, and o ...

Mark Walton, the former University of Miami star football player and current Cincinnati Bengal, was ...

Don Chaney Jr. says his recruitment is over and the way he talks about the Miami Hurricanes, it’s ea ...

Researcher Rebecca Bulotsky Shearer is leading a study aimed at increasing the number of kids who ar ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team stormed back from a 14-point deficit to pick up the bi ...

Hours after garnering espnW National Player of the Week distinction, Emese Hof of the Miami women ...

For the second straight Monday, a member of the Miami women's basketball team has earned a nati ...

Brian Van Belle struck out five over six shutout innings to help the Canes sweep Rutgers on opening ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami golf team moved up two spots on Monday's leaderboard at t ...