RELAX Venetian Pool stays cool daily

Imagine lounging in the sun surrounded by lush palm trees and crystal clear aquamarine water while listening to the soothing sounds of waterfalls in the background; welcome to the locale’s secret Venetian Pool, Miami’s version of paradise.

Located 10 minutes from campus, at the intersection of Granada and De Soto Boulevard, Venetian Pool is a swimming hole formed by a natural coral rock quarry in 1923 and developed by Phineas Paist and Denman Fink, uncle to Coral Gables’ founding father, George Merrick. Venice’s lagoons inspired the pool’s design and the surrounding architecture gives the swimming hole a Mediterranean appeal. The Venetian Pool is included in the National Register of Historic Places, and in 1989, approximately $3.9 million was spent restoring the pool.

Refreshed daily with cool spring water (cool being an understatement for the initial chill factor of the 76 to 78-degree water), it is undoubtedly a nice escape from the hot Miami sun. Featuring a partially submerged cave where visitors can swim and relax under, two waterfalls and a white sand beach, according to its website, VenetianPool.com, “Venetian Pool is truly an oasis of tranquility.”

Admission is $4.25, cash or check only, with ‘Cane Card, and hours vary depending on the season. Make sure to bring towels to lay out on since lounge chairs are sparse.

So when the half-naked bodies on South Beach and the horrible parking begins to get old, Venetian Pool offers a more convenient, relaxing and beautiful option to sun bathers alike.

Bari Lieberman can be contacted at b.lieberman@umiami.edu.

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

New technology could help schools identify shooters and other intruders before they enter the door. ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Through three games, Miami is No. 1 in the country in tackles for loss and the entire Hurricanes def ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to return to Cobb Stadium, where it will host No. 12 Duke ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...