RELAX Venetian Pool stays cool daily

Imagine lounging in the sun surrounded by lush palm trees and crystal clear aquamarine water while listening to the soothing sounds of waterfalls in the background; welcome to the locale’s secret Venetian Pool, Miami’s version of paradise.

Located 10 minutes from campus, at the intersection of Granada and De Soto Boulevard, Venetian Pool is a swimming hole formed by a natural coral rock quarry in 1923 and developed by Phineas Paist and Denman Fink, uncle to Coral Gables’ founding father, George Merrick. Venice’s lagoons inspired the pool’s design and the surrounding architecture gives the swimming hole a Mediterranean appeal. The Venetian Pool is included in the National Register of Historic Places, and in 1989, approximately $3.9 million was spent restoring the pool.

Refreshed daily with cool spring water (cool being an understatement for the initial chill factor of the 76 to 78-degree water), it is undoubtedly a nice escape from the hot Miami sun. Featuring a partially submerged cave where visitors can swim and relax under, two waterfalls and a white sand beach, according to its website, VenetianPool.com, “Venetian Pool is truly an oasis of tranquility.”

Admission is $4.25, cash or check only, with ‘Cane Card, and hours vary depending on the season. Make sure to bring towels to lay out on since lounge chairs are sparse.

So when the half-naked bodies on South Beach and the horrible parking begins to get old, Venetian Pool offers a more convenient, relaxing and beautiful option to sun bathers alike.

Bari Lieberman can be contacted at b.lieberman@umiami.edu.

The first regular season of Gino DiMare’s head-coaching era ended Saturday at Mark Light Field. But ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ hopes for hosting an NCAA regional were damaged a bit on Friday night by a 12- ...

It took a long time for Dewan Hernandez to reach a point of acceptance for what happened to his juni ...

The life of a fullback isn’t always glamorous, even 15 years ago before the position was essentially ...

The start to spring practice this year came with a long delay for Xzavier Henderson. In addition to ...

The University of Miami is shaping the future of education by using innovative approaches that drive ...

Six short films created by University of Miami film students will be screened in Los Angeles this we ...

Researchers from 16 Latin American and Caribbean countries, hosted by the Institute for the Advanced ...

Two University of Miami a cappella groups, Tufaan and BisCaydence, celebrated big wins in different ...

After Alabama’s governor signed into law the most-stringent anti-abortion bill in the nation, UM exp ...

Chris McMahon struck out six over five shutout innings to earn his first win since April 6. ...

Miami's Second Varsity Four earned a bronze medal at the 2019 ACC Rowing Championships Saturday ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team is the ITA Southeast Region Arthur Ashe ...

100 days until Miami – Florida LVI. The countdown is on. ...

The ACC Network is set to launch August 22. If your television provider hasn't yet decided to c ...