Oh my God, we all, like, sound sooo ridiculous

I was trying to write this column and, like, didn’t know what to write about and, like, thought about how stupid we sound today by excessively misusing the word “like.”

I remember as a kid watching movies where the female characters had what I like to call “Valley Girl Syndrome,” where every third word was “like,” and I thought it was stupid then. Almost two decades later it has taken the place of the word “umm” as the new popular interjection, and I still think it is stupid. If you didn’t know, an interjection is simply a short exclamation but is not really connected to the sentence in any way. It is prominent more in speech than in writing.

I am not a grammarian but it isn’t hard to hear how annoying this sounds whenever someone raises their hand in class and “like” is coming out of their mouth at a rapid clip. It is as if the person has no confidence in what he or she is saying. I am not out to chastise anyone because I know I do the exact same thing on occasion. It was brought to my attention by someone older that stopped me in mid-sentence and asked if I realized how many times I used the word “like” incorrectly. I just wanted to point out the obvious to everyone.

It doesn’t help our generation when pop on MTV uses it, and we think they sound horrible but we don’t recognize it as it pertains to ourselves. Damn that mass media! I have actually started a game where I count how many times a person will say it while they speak and sometimes tune them out because it gets annoying once I reach 15.

I just want us all to realize that we sound ridiculous. Remember that we want jobs after we graduate from here and I don’t think the inability to convey a coherent thought to someone without using the word “like” will go over well with future employers. Good luck in your attempts to curb this and, like, don’t, like, stress over it because if you think about it you can easily stop using it. Remember when we used the word “uhh” at one time?

Vontilla Steven can be contacted at v.steven@umiami.edu.

University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larranaga, awaiting word from the NCAA on the appeal to rei ...

The Hurricanes officially welcomed ballyhooed new quarterback Tate Martell on campus Friday, and he’ ...

Before Jess Simpson’s final playoff run as the coach of Buford fell short in a Georgia state champio ...

The Miami Hurricanes football coaching staff is officially complete. UM announced Friday that Taylor ...

The Marlins — along with a handful of other teams — haven’t signed a single player from another team ...

The University of Miami brings together leaders in academia, professional practice, and industry to ...

On Dec. 14, 2018 universal health care programs in both the United States and Mexico were dealt sign ...

For the first time in more than 15 years, two of UMTV’s weekly shows were nominated for the Televisi ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Jazz aficionados launch new video series by sharing invaluable performance techniques. ...

"We're excited to welcome these coaches to the Miami family," Diaz said. ...

Canes have won six of last 10 meetings with UNC. ...

Check out the January edition of the University of Miami's e-magazine. ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team improved to 2-0 on the young season after securing a ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team will play its first doubleheader of the season Saturday in ...