News Briefs

Knight Program announces 2004-05 fellows

Thirteen mid-career professionals from a variety of fields have recently been awarded fellowships for 2004-05 from the Knight Program in Community Building, based at the UM School of Architecture. The fellowships are awarded annually to individuals with an active interest in the interdisciplinary process of community building. Throughout the year, fellows will pursue independent research projects and participate in various events to help expand their knowledge of community building techniques and solidify their research. Through their proposed case studies, research topics, and participation in the Knight Program events, the fellows will deepen their understanding of how to apply these techniques in places throughout the U.S.

Established in 2001, the Knight Program’s goal is to advance the knowledge and practice of New Urbanism and Smart Growth across disciplines through fellowships, scholarships, conferences, and publications. Funded by the John S. and James L. Knight Foundation, which promotes excellence in journalism worldwide and invests in the vitality of 26 U.S. communities, the program extends its commitment to community service with its fellowship program. The 2004-05 Knight Fellows in Community Building are: Tom Cotruvo, James (Jim) R. Epstein, Lisa B. Hogan, Michelle Jones, Yon Lambert, Jeremy Chi-Ming Liu, Andrew Miller, Jessica Cogan Millman, Daniel Parolek, Veronica Rosales, Will Selman, Ken Stapleton, and Kendra Wills.

The Butler Volunteer Services Center is sponsoring the Holiday Hope Tree Project, providing holiday gifts to economically disadvantaged children in the Miami community. Stop by the UC Information desk to pick up a child’s request card and return the unwrapped gift to the Information Desk by Dec. 1. For more information, contact Butler Volunteer Services Center at 305-284-4483 or email volunteerservices@miami.edu.

The Architecture of Miami, ARC 323/584, is a three-credit course from Dec. 16-29, reviewing Miami’s architectural styles, from the simple wood structures of early settlers to reinforced-concrete tropical high-rise towers. For additional information please call 305-284-5253; please also consult you academic advisor.

(U-WIRE) GAINESVILLE, Fla. – Iraqi and American students from Kent State University in Ohio discussed the war, the election and democracy via satellite Monday night on MTV’s special “Chat the Planet: Baghdad 2 Way.”

Hosted by MTV’s Gideon Yago, the special focused on day-to-day issues that Iraqi students face and American students’ perceptions. Personal video diaries of Iraqi students showed their hardships, such as a lack of running water, a constant fear of safety and a lack of hope for the future.

“I cannot go to college safely, I cannot go out,” one Iraqi student said. “I am afraid of getting kidnapped or raped.”

For the Iraqi students, the upcoming Iraqi election incites some security concerns, but it’s their only hope. They said they want reassurance that a qualified candidate will run.

On MTV, Iraqi students communicated that the invasion is destroying their country. American students had mixed opinions as to whether it was the right choice or not.

Iraqi students want to make it clear that Iraq had nothing to do with the Sept. 11, 2001, attack. However, according to MTV, 50 percent of Americans still hold Saddam Hussein responsible.

University of Florida student Roxanne Simpson felt the discussion conveyed a message the media is missing.

“It provides a means of direct communication between American and Iraqi students so that the media isn’t telling the story, but the actual people are,” she said.

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ secondary continues to get stronger. Miami, which already holds a pair of comm ...

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

A fabulous team of staff and volunteers labors long and hard, primed with school spirit, behind the ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

The global exploration, media, and education company will kick off a national campaign at UM to offe ...

University of Miami head coach Gino DiMare released the Hurricanes' 2019 baseball schedule Thur ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will take part in the ITA Southeast Regional Champion ...

The University of Miami women's swimming & diving team returns to competition this weekend, ...

The University of Miami volleyball team is set to host Clemson and Georgia Tech in the first of four ...

Four members of the Miami women's tennis team will take part in the ITA Southeast Regional Cham ...