CD REVIEW Black tape explodes with solid music

After surviving a harsh major-label tug-of- war, Boston-based powerhouse The Explosion blasts back unto the market with its second full-length studio album, Black Tape. Now signed with Virgin Records, it is one of the few punk rock bands ever endorsed by the label. Guitarist Dave Walsh says the Explosion’s Virgin debut will “blow anything we’ve done out of the water.” Indeed, it has.

The Explosion was founded in 1998 by Walsh and lead singer Matt Hock, establishing a reputation as one of America’s toughest punk rock and roll bands. Leading a dynamic rock revitalization, the band has proven to be a relentless touring machine throughout its career. Spending a year and a half writing and producing Black Tape, it’s more than any ordinary punk-rock record. It’s a complete thought that draws from past experiences. Every song includes more time and energy than anything it has ever previously done.

With 12 energetic, fist-pumping, guitar-radiating singles, Black Tape is a perfect buy for any punk-rock junkie. The first single of the album, “Here I Am,” shows that the band will quickly stop being an underground sensation. Starting off with a throbbing electric guitar intro combined with raunchy lyrics, it serves as a solid foundation for the rest of the album. Other hits include “Atrocity,” “Filthy Insane” and “Go Blank.”

In general, the Explosion’s Black Tape serves as a building block for the band’s future mainstream success. Every single is “fist-pumping and serves as a melody-gushing punk rock anthem” for today’s punk-rock musical style.

Keith Preciados can be contacted at k.preciados@umiami.edu.

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

New technology could help schools identify shooters and other intruders before they enter the door. ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...