CD REVIEW Black tape explodes with solid music

After surviving a harsh major-label tug-of- war, Boston-based powerhouse The Explosion blasts back unto the market with its second full-length studio album, Black Tape. Now signed with Virgin Records, it is one of the few punk rock bands ever endorsed by the label. Guitarist Dave Walsh says the Explosion’s Virgin debut will “blow anything we’ve done out of the water.” Indeed, it has.

The Explosion was founded in 1998 by Walsh and lead singer Matt Hock, establishing a reputation as one of America’s toughest punk rock and roll bands. Leading a dynamic rock revitalization, the band has proven to be a relentless touring machine throughout its career. Spending a year and a half writing and producing Black Tape, it’s more than any ordinary punk-rock record. It’s a complete thought that draws from past experiences. Every song includes more time and energy than anything it has ever previously done.

With 12 energetic, fist-pumping, guitar-radiating singles, Black Tape is a perfect buy for any punk-rock junkie. The first single of the album, “Here I Am,” shows that the band will quickly stop being an underground sensation. Starting off with a throbbing electric guitar intro combined with raunchy lyrics, it serves as a solid foundation for the rest of the album. Other hits include “Atrocity,” “Filthy Insane” and “Go Blank.”

In general, the Explosion’s Black Tape serves as a building block for the band’s future mainstream success. Every single is “fist-pumping and serves as a melody-gushing punk rock anthem” for today’s punk-rock musical style.

Keith Preciados can be contacted at k.preciados@umiami.edu.

Anthony Solomon will head north for his college football career. The St. Thomas Aquinas linebacker a ...

A day after naming Ephraim Banda and Jonathan Patke co-defensive coordinators, the Miami Hurricanes ...

It doesn’t matter if the number is actually 21 or it’s just what Jeremiah Payton estimates now. Twen ...

The Miami Hurricanes didn’t waste long to find their replacements for Manny Diaz at defensive coordi ...

The Miami Hurricanes will have to try to get revenge on the Wisconsin Badgers without perhaps their ...

The Foote Fellows Honors Program offers students added flexibility to pursue multiple academic inter ...

Commencement speakers share gems of insight and wisdom as more than 1,000 UM students graduate in tw ...

During a news conference Wednesday, a UM medical team talked about the clinical findings after exami ...

Your one-stop shop for University of Miami fall commencement information. ...

The University of Miami will welcome more than 1,000 new graduates into the UM alumni family during ...

The No. 24/22 Miami women's basketball team turned in another stellar defensive performance Sun ...

Hurricanes Name Banda, Patke Co-Defensive Coordinators; Promote Simpson to Associate Head Coach ...

The Hurricanes hosted their annual Football Awards Show Saturday at Gusman Hall, honoring the 2018 S ...

The No. 24/22 Miami women's basketball team will conclude its three-game homestand Sunday at 1 ...

World Series champion and UM baseball All-American Jon Jay will headline the 2019 First Pitch Banque ...